Advice on Testing single flavours

I agree but it seems that on most of the flavors people just repeat what others have said. What’s your recommendation for that. I know I should be happy that there is any resources out there to begin with, but for me I have only ever profiled one flavor but I didn’t do it until I was completely aware of what the flavor was like at different% and with other ingredients.

[quote=“Tony_the_tiger, post:21, topic:80861, full:true”]What’s your recommendation for that.
[/quote]

Well, for starters, I’d lower the percentage of snark.

I sense your frustration, but in the way you’ve presented it, I feel like your accidentally taking it out on the people you’re asking for help.

Yes, this happens quite a bit. It can be both frustrating and overwhelming initially. There’s really no one size fits all answer.

Until you begin to learn what works for your method of vaping, on what hardware, and where your tongue is at (still smoking, just quit, been a month? Been 6 months? Did you have good taste buds to start with? Poor? Hyper sensitive to certain flavors, or Hyper sensitive across the board…), there’s just too many variables.

You remind me a bit of myself early in. Trying to make the most of what I’ve got (so as to have a better chance of success, as well as not wanting to waste anything). Not sure if this is accurate or not, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. :wink:

Try not to sweat it nearly as much, and things will get easier. I promise you that.

[quote=Tony_the_tiger]I have only ever profiled one flavor but I didn’t do it until I was completely aware of what the flavor was like at different% and with other ingredients.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have the idea down.
Now you just need to do it with more of the flavors you have.
Once you do, you’ll see trends and be able to correlate what you see on ELR to your personal needs.

Good luck, and keep at it! It will come together!

3 Likes

Sorry it seemed like that but it was in response to how the question was answered by grubby. It seemed like he was doing exactly what I was. It was my failed attempt at sarcasm towards the one I felt was doing to another. I know that isn’t how things are solved but I was inturn asking him, how do you know what to do when the notes section is full of repeaters. Thanks for calling me out on it I should have known better I just read the terms of service about 10 mins before I did that. But really what is the best method in that situation when you’re needing something to fix or finish a mix without wasting it.

1 Like

Easiest possible fix is too little flavor.
Add more. Lol (Almost never the case, and frequently the opposite)

Well, I’m not quite sure what the circumstances are, but one of the things I learned a while back was to keep a batch of unflavored mix handy. Just my normal PG/VG/nic mix (in my case, 20/80/3mg).

Now, this only applies in situations where you find that something is over flavoured (too strong), but let’s say I’ve been working on testing a single flavor.

If I only mixed one bottle of say… 16% of Cap vanilla custard v1. (That’s crazy high for me, because I’ve learned that depending on my mood, I prefer 6-8%). But, you could pour a quarter of the bottle out (or vape it if it really bothers you badly enough to lose a milliliter of flavoring [assuming a 30ml tester], then replace the 25% with the unflavored mix.
This keeps all other ratios the same (vg/pg/nic), and the net result is a drop in flavoring. What would now be in the test bottle is approximately 12%.
Still too much?
Repeat. Pour a quarter of the bottle out, refill from the unflavored source. You’re now at approximately 8% flavoring.

Vigorously shaking between each modification obviously (and possibly additional steeping time, depending on choice of flavor)

Now, this is a bad example for a new person (from the aspect of: custards generally require 4 weeks to steep/develop into their full potential (final result) of what the flavor is actually meant to be.
But I just used it to illustrate the idea.
If someone actually tried to apply that testing method to Cap VC v1, it would take months. So I’m not recommending that at all! Again, only trying to illustrate one method/approach.

I personally do like some others, and when I’m tasting a new flavor, I’ll run 2 or 3 bottles simultaneously, at close percentages. Which is what works best for me.

As far as fixing a mix? Far too many scenarios that I can think of offhand to even try to address.

Wrong flavor altogether for the desired effect?
Poor substitution attempt? (flavor didn’t play well together with others)
Wrong percentages? (poorly balanced)
Wrong power for a single flavor (some burn above certain watts/temps)
And on and on…
Hope this helps!

7 Likes

See that works I never even thought of it in the those terms. Pouring out a
little is a lot better than suffering through it or wasting it all. lol I
guess some good did come from my smart @$$ retaliation. Thanks a bunch

1 Like

Yes. This is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and for sharing your knowledge.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, but the majority of what I’m spitting out via (phone) keyboard are simply things I’ve learned from my peers and predecessors who were kind enough to share their time and effort with me!

Once in a while, I add my own 2¢ worth, but sometimes if my rephrasing things helps to reach someone who didn’t understand (or hasn’t read yet) a previous explanation…then I’m happy to contribute to furthering to someone’s understanding and advancement. =)

6 Likes

No thank you very much. I have purchased my 15ml amber glass tester bottles on Amazon and I was reading through all the forums on the best testing %'s - whether to include PG, VG, & NIC, and how long I should wait to test. You and @JoJo are extremely helpful. I feel very confident now in the process.

4 Likes

I think its very difficult to make samples in 5ml bottles, because 0.05g is 1%. Better 10 or bigger.

I also thought about amber glas bottles, but then i don´t see the change of colour while steeping. So i will buy hdpe bottles.

2 Likes

Hi,

i just started to make single flavor testing. I mix up 10ml bottles with 50/50 without nicotine. For the amount of flavor to use, i read the testig notes and mostly use median or a bit above. I make 5 bottles every day and give them a first try after a week. Then i test one week later and so on, till there are no great changes. Note all in my singleflavor recipe. Now i realised that on the 4th week i have to test 20!!! different flavors a day. I reduce from 5 to 2. It should make fun, and not be work for me. Mixing is easy, but testing is not as easy because i have to be concentrated, to get the notes that are important. 8 different flavors every day? i will see if that works better than 20.

Greetings
Weedhunter

There can be little hiccups in the system. I was looking for the median percentage for Creme Brulee (SC) (Real Flavors) and one mixer had it at 10%, left notes on it recommending 10%, but reading their recipe notes, it was obvious that they had actually been using the VG version (Northwest) but labeled it as SC! I left a comment on it explaining that this kind of mix-up messes up the notes system. They thanked me politely for letting them know, but weeks later, it is still messed up.
If new mixers come across it, just know that 10% of an SC is probably ridiculous! Reading the forum flavor note threads is a great resource to add to reading the notes section on the recipe site, searching by flavor name over here.

2 Likes

After 3 weeks of testing different single flavors from Flavorah, FW, LA, Molinberry, Solub i´m confused. I don´t taste these varietie´s in the concentrates other people find in. For me it´s in most cases, to weak, sweet, and a hint of that what it should taste. No flavor explosion. Is this a normal thing, or is it a normal thing that flavors only come out with other incredients. Should i try higher %? I´m on the median from the notes, most a little bit above. My testing RDA is a Drop, with several coils i tried. Cotton is Muji. I don´t s&v, because it doesn´t make sense for me.

Should i try other testing methods?

1 Like

I started to test flavors i have for just less than a month now, so maybe not the best parameter (?), and my taste buds is still very weak compare to most people here.
I do it by trying my flavors at almost the top of single flavor recommendations before i got good flavors.
For instance, tfa is about 8-12% so i will try 10%
For fa i try at 2.5% and so on, unless the majority of mixers here said otherwise (highly concentrated, too thin, etc.)

edit: not bold flavor, just good flavor. For bold, explosive flavor i put a little over the normal max percentages in my test.

Another thing, this is how i test fruit flavors. For custard/bakery/tobacco i would use the normal maximum percentage because after steeping, they become stronger /bolder tasting.

And i have to ask this. What is your setup, and are you confident in it? By that i mean how do that setup perform before.

Mine is antman rda by teslacigs, with single ss316 clapton 26/34, at 0.4-0.5 ohm