Advice on Testing single flavours

Hi, I’ve been mixing for a few months now from recipes and now want to go through all my concentrates on their own to understand the flavours better.

just wondering what others do when their testing their flavours ?

should i mix up 3mL batches at 2% flavour. Test it. Increased the flavour
level by 2%. Tested it. Repeated until I found the sweet spot for that
flavour?

also Does anyone have any tips for what vg/pg ratio to use for these testers?
I usually vape 70vg/30pg but I understand that pg carries flavor
better. Should I increase it to 50/50? Will the flavors still translate
well when I make 70/30?

1 Like

I would test at your preferred ratio.

As for what percent it depends on brand. For FA 2% sometimes could be at the top. However for cap 2% may be too low.

2 Likes

On the recipe site:

Menu - flavour list - notes - enjoy :wink:

5 Likes

: [quote=“Grubby, post:3, topic:80861”]
On the recipe site:

Menu - flavour list - notes - enjoy :wink:
[/quote]

ahhhh i never thought to look in notes :slight_smile: thanks [quote=“Chrispdx, post:2, topic:80861”]
I would test at your preferred ratio.
[/quote]

ok will do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

start at the median for the single flavor percent in the notes , and test at you ratio i use 5ml to 10ml

2 Likes

Use the “Notes” section of each flavor and if most people say “Prefer 6% Single” Use 6%.

2 Likes

I’m glad you brought that up! I’ve been wondering if the stats include when people make a flavor base and the percentage is 50%?

1 Like

never thought about that @Maureeenie but regardless using those notes have been agreat starting point for me and i use 70 30 ratio , there will always be adjusting since we all have different tastes things like golden butter i dont test bc i dont want to taste it like that lol

2 Likes

I know you are right… it always pretty much works come to think of it.

1 Like

This works for me.
Misc other main single factors:
Type of flavor (menthol or custard)
Mixing for who? (taste sensitivity)
Recommend testing at whomever’s normal standard PG/VG ratio.

2 Likes

To be honest, I truly appreciate those who do single flavor tests. I’ve only done one my self out of all my flavors. Personally I can’t stand single flavors. I always test the chemical aspect when there is a single flavor.

I do recomend it but personally can’t do it. That being said, if I am chasing a flavor I would when nothing works. Am I close after 11 months to going to single flavor test of orange flavors. Yup. But still holding off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you end in the same boat as me what I do is subscribe to the keep it simple stupid. Fruits I test with a basic mix of fresh cream, Marshamallow, and sometimes Vienna cream FA. For darker flavors I add a basic vanilla and caramel ect…or even fresh cream FA alone to spr ad the flavor across the pallet.

3 Likes

I mix 5ml testers using my preferred PG/VG ratio but I don’t add nic cuz that’s just one less step. Usually I’m doing a bunch of them all at once and it just makes it easier. Also, if I’m not familiar with a flavor at all I will either use the preferred MIXING (more on that in a minute) percent or a percent that has worked well in the past for that brand. It usually works out to 2-3% for FA, Flavorah, and Inawera; 5-7% for Cap, TPA, and FW; and 8-12% for RF and LB. Those %s are very loose guidelines.

Now, I use the mixing percent because it is based on the recipes associated with that flavor, both public and private. The single flavor % is based on what people put in for their preferred singe %. Typically there are about 10x more recipes associated with a flavor than there are single % recommendations, so the data that the average/median is pulled from with recipes is much larger and more accurate than the single %. If someone puts in some crazy number like 30% for a recipe, but there are 500 recipes, that one 30 isn’t going to skew the average as much as if someone put 30% in as a single and there are only 5 single recommendations. I’ve been mixing for long enough now that I don’t really need super high %s to tell what a flavor is going to be like, so the mixing average is usually enough. However, if you’re new or you’re not sure, you can try doubling the mixing % and test that as a single. At the very least, you’ll get an idea of the flavor profile and general strength.

9 Likes

This may be overkill to some but I make 3 tests for each flavor. One at the median found on ELR, one about 3% higher and one about 2 or 3% lower. I do this because different amounts bring out different aspects of certain flavors. This is what I’ve found anyway.

4 Likes

Yep. Gotta hit every area on the pallet, that about does it.

That’s amazing. I could never be that disciplined.

3 Likes

thank you for all the comments, just filled all the 10ml bottles if could find and i still have 40 or so flavours to mix down … really should of thought of doing this when i only had a couple flavours in my collection haha

1 Like

OCD has it’s advantages :wink:

3 Likes

Jo Jo. Thank you for this reply. I have a few single flavor mixes I will be trying this month and this response helped me out a ton. Much respect.

1 Like

Update on that as an aside…the 8-12% for RF was for VG flavors, not the SC flavors. They didn’t have those yet when I posted that I don’t think. Also, I went back to using nic in my single flavors cuz I found I didn’t wanna vape them after I’d tested them cuz they didn’t have nic. LoL.

5 Likes

Thank you for the update on the VG. Currently I only have the SC RF, but I know some of the VG’s hold up a lot better after reading the Flavor Notes on the thread for SC RF.

I will definitely adding NIC to my testers as well. I’m only at 1.5mg and I find that it doesn’t skew the flavors that much when I mix.

1 Like