All this violence and hate :(

I’ve posted this in “What are you listening to?” before but I think it’s still just as relevant as it was 50 years ago.

5 Likes

@Pugs1970: I agree that the world is not all doom and gloom, but I still maintain that some aspect of social media and modern technology has led to a huge disconnect in many people. Look back 20, 30, 40 years ago, people knew their neighbors and watched out for each other. Now, for the most part, nobody knows or hangs out with their neighbors. They’re too busy snapchatting with someone 1000 miles away that they’ve never actually met.

All that said, I’m not in fear for my life or society. Bad things have happened in every generation. I’m a realist though, some of the things I see lead me to believe that we are reaching a tipping point, society will face a change in the not too distant future and there will be some rough times ahead. Whether this happens in 10 years or 100, I don’t know, I left my crystal ball at work :smile: . We’ll survive whatever comes, we’re a highly adaptable people. Anyway, change is required for any organism to evolve, mature and grow. So no, not depressed or fearful, just attempting to prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

And i’ve mostly disconnected from the media outlets, I just tune in for the weather reports, gotta know if my next camping trip will get rain!

3 Likes

For those of us who believe, as @alisa shared previously, that our time is that which was prophesied about, we also understand that it’s not the people alone that are bringing on these terrible times. Love is under attack. In the Holy Bible it is written in Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I firmly believe this and also believe that the evidence is manifest and easy to identify.

4 Likes

I am very thankful that we have such a great community of people here. It is so nice to listen to everyone’s opinions and beliefs and no one judging or arguing. Just allowing us all to be who we are. Thank you all :heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Right on. We’ve proven that we can remain civil even discussing the two subjects that are always off limits. :slight_smile: :heart:

5 Likes

These are some of my earliest memories… Times some Americans choose to forget.

My earliest memory of dealing with the law was at age 7 or 8 when my dad was taking the family to the fair. This was probably around 1966 or '67. This was something we did every year that I could remember as a child. He was looking for a parking space when a officer approached the car and told him to move the car. He told the officer he was looking for a parking space. The officer told him to move the car nigger. I guess you know this ruined the day for entire family. That was probably the angriest I’ve ever seen my dad. We left and never went to the fair as a family again.

2 Likes

Wow that is horrible :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry, and I know that will never be enough. It’s stuff like this that makes me ashamed to be white.

3 Likes

I was at an age when I didn’t know what it was all about. But after time I did learn what racism was. I pretty much lived most of my childhood in a segregated America.

2 Likes

That officer was clearly a horrible human being to do that to a family and its sad that he was able to rob your family of that day and future days at the fair. Im sorry that happened to your family I can only imagine what that is like as ive never experienced anything like that myself.

4 Likes

There is no need to feel that way. I have and have had great relationships people of different races that doesn’t judge me by skin color. I don’t see racism here and I’m sure if it reared it’s ugly head. JoJo and daath would shut it down.

6 Likes

There are a lot of times in our history that people tend to forget. Doing the math I see you are about 5 years older than me. Well I’ll give a timeline. From 1971 - 1975 I went to elementary school in a small town outside Huntsville, AL. The elementary school campus was adjacent to the middle school. I was a little boy and I didn’t bother anyone. Yet on numerous occasions I would get the hell beat out of me by, not just one, but 2, 3 or 4 black kids from the middle school. I remember being told “shut the fuck up little cracker.”

I didn’t grow up hating black people, just the ones who were the cowardly assholes they were to hurt a little boy who did absolutely nothing to deserve it.

It sucks that you have had your memory of outrageous racism all your life. That cop represents what is likely the theme during that time. But he doesn’t represent the white race. Maybe it’s just the company I keep, but I like to believe that both the races are more good than bad.

As Rodney said, can’t we all just get along?

6 Likes

Only if they caught it before the rest of us! Dude, I don’t think you or I either one could imagine the absolute flame throwing annihilation the poster of racist comments on ELR would suffer. It would be fugly.

6 Likes

I agree. The past is the past. I hadn’t thought about that in years. There was something about that video that brought up very old memories. I’m sure we all have old horror stories that we can share.

4 Likes

A very good reminder that even as bad as things seem sometimes, they are much better than they used to be. Still a long way to go, but some progress has been made.

2 Likes

America is a great nation and has come a very long way. If you work hard and be respectful of others you can fit in here and live your dream. Most people know racism is old news… at least that what I’d like think Those that don’t will answer for it in hell.

8 Likes

I love you all so much. Wish I could hug each of you this morning.

I’m going to work now, with a smile on my face. I pray you all well and blessed this day.

<3 <3 <3

8 Likes

Always look to yourself, I believe we all have the answers to our own problems, the ones who are incapable of seeing / understanding themselves are the ones who cause the problems for others.

Self efficient, self taught, self made, when these men / women stand side by side united, those who cant stand alone will need to run…

5 Likes