Am I burning my wicks, juice or something else?

so a few key points
*using ipv D2 mod
*using bellus 6ml RTA (RDTA?)
*new to building

• dual coil 0.4 ohms 24 gauge kanthal 2.5 mm core 10 wraps per coil
    *85% vg juice (caramel cappuccino dark juice) I have tried with thinner 50/50 juices and still have the same problem.

Problem: when I use the suggested heat for my build (heres the link to the calculator I used with the setup already in http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.4&hfnw=65&awg=24&id=2.5&ll=4) it suggests apprx 65 watts. If I do anything above 40 (and at 40 im not really tasting the juice something else but not pleasant) it tastes terrible like burning something even if I just juiced my wicks by hand. I checked and the wick that is inside of the coil is black. Am I burning my wick? How do I prevent this?

1 Like

If your cotton is black when removing from the coil, then it would appear you’re hitting it with too much power. I don’t know where you’re finding a suggested power to apply with the build, but I’m no steam-engine expert either. For a build like this I would personally start with much lower watts and work my way up. Likely about 30 watts. Just guessing I would think 50 watts or so would be my sweet spot. That said, you may want to assure proper wicking too. I don’t know the Bellus, but many tanks will not wick high VG juices quick enough to keep up with higher power…hence the dry hits and wick burning.

2 Likes

If you work your way up from 30 to 35,40 etc as SthrnMixer suggested, you should find a zone where taste is max. and vapor production decent. I find if I go higher in power, the taste diminishes and eventually will burn the juice.

*new to building – Are you new to RBA’s?

1 Like

yes new to RBA’s

1 Like

First as others here say, turn down the watts. Just because that coil build is said to handle 60 watts doesn’t mean every application with that build can handle it. If you can not get enough juice to that build then it will not be able to do 60 watts. Another thing I would like to mention is that I would not build coils with 10 wraps. At some point it is going to become difficult to get juice to the center wraps of that coil. Perhaps you should consider 26g wire to use less wraps. After that, practice makes perfect for the wicking. Wicking is a art that must be mastered so be prepared to watch some youtube vids if necessary and practice…

1 Like

Seems to me the amount of wattage you can hit an RBA with is entirely dependent on your build - wire gauge, number of wraps, etc probably all matter, but the biggest factor seems to be wicking, in my limited experience. If you aren’t able to get enough juice to the coil, it’s going to dry out if you hit it with too many watts. I might be mistaken, but that’s what it looks like to me.

1 Like

I always do a duel parallel 26gage 5 wrap. Works great. But i seen someone used a machine screw to make a coil. Try to get more flavor. Guess what it works awesome.

1 Like

I had major wicking issues with the Bellus. Your wick need to just sit atop of juice channels. If the wick is in the channels you will get dry hits. Make sure your wick is contacting the complete inner dimension of your coil… especially the outer most wraps.
Also make sure you soaked and thoroughly clean your Bellus before use.

1 Like

I vaped a dark caramel juice as my ADV for 2 years…I’d get a plastic taste after about 3 days…and the coil would be gunked up, I’d pull the wicks , dry burn, rinse, dry burn again and rewick…good as new.