Am I safe?

My ex used to be able to conk-out instantaneously to the sound of television audio. That seemed odd to me at the time, but now, years later, I find that the din of cable-news programs puts me to sleep, and the randomly flashing light impinging upon my closed eyelids probably serves as a lively invitation to dream. I call it “REM TV”. I must (surely) be a certified “Lame Stream Media” (ala Sarah Palin) “junkie”, then.
:smiley:

5 Likes

That I find annoying so I usually opt for an audiobook.

5 Likes

It’s odd, but I truly understand what he is saying. I think if I didn’t have it going, and there wasn’t a dim flash going on that it would probably wake me up. I’ve become that used it. I use TNG at a low brightness because it is the least flashy and bright of all the series.

:vulcan_salute: I derailed this a bit, sorry OP. I actually looked in here wondering if he was using stock coils for a tank, or had wrapped them himself. Sorry OP :wink:.

I didn’t write butt my Gboard is having a stroke.

6 Likes

The worst thing that you can do is try to ignore it”.
:clown_face:

4 Likes

2 Likes

So you see, as in many things in life, foregoing “immediate gratification” conserves precious energy !
:innocent:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I do that too. My mind can be a scary place sometimes. Worse than any horror movie, lol.

5 Likes

I like the scanner. Sometimes it’s a horror show, sometimes a drama. There is a lot of comedy as well. A little bit of everything rolled up into one.

5 Likes

The amount of multiplexed frequency hopping and evolving communications encryption protocols made “scanning” a much more complicated prospect (when I had my RS Pro-43 in late 1980s, early 1990s).

It sounds like “spy vs spy” must be continuing, despite possible (new, evolving) barriers. Or, are many agencies “too broke” to upgrade ? If they have not upgraded (already, pre-CoV), the utilized technology may tend toward some “stasis” (due to budgets). Are “public safety” transmissions required to be (“in the clear”, or easily derived) in your state/county/municipality ? Only respond as you may see appropriate.

2 Likes

There is a public safety channel as well as cellular broadcasts here for public safety. Everything is Multiplexed, shared time digital but I have a receiver that deals with that. I’m sure there are some calls that are blocked out but I still get a lot of activity including break-ins and such. For about six months or so our local police were playing some game, I can only imagine “training or exercise” kind of thing. They were tag teaming and following people around. The broadcasts were like. “He’s wearing a red hat”. “I have to duck done, he pulled into Mcdonalds behind me!” “He’s getting his grub”. “He is wearing brown shoes”. It would go on for a couple hours every night about the same time. We called it the fashion popo show because so many comments were about attire. Friggin hilarious bs.

5 Likes

Surveillance costs (targeting wandering strangers, in actuality in the “field”) sound relatively “resource intensive” when implemented. Perhaps some “political football” deliverable to (rhetorical) “city hall” ?

The regular timing (as well as certain possible repetitiveness of activities) might well indicate “training” ?

2 Likes

All I can think of. Nobody ever stopped or anything like that. The way the would communicate, the affect of their voice would make it sound like the “brown shirt” was the big problem, like OMG!!! He’s wearing a BROWN shirt!!! It baffled me, I’m sure they did spend a pretty penny doing that.

4 Likes

(Perhaps) their un-settlements surrounding (Mussolini’s) “Brown Shirts” means “they don’t like Facists”?

3 Likes

You’re gettin out there again for me, I don’t know. It was just good entertainment to crash with.

5 Likes

The thing I miss most about scanning, was the realness @SmilingOgre. No spin, or exaggeration, no politics, but real boots on the ground.

6 Likes

You know it!!! And the immense amount of stuff that is never reported to the public. Media is too busy screaming Trump picked his nose again!!!

5 Likes

The irony, the irony. The police not liking fascists. Well I never.

3 Likes

This one?

Or this one?

3 Likes

Ooops, no, it’s a little radio that lets you listen to police calls, ambulance calls, and a bunch of other stuff.

4 Likes