Am I safe?

I’ve just done a 0.08ohm build, and am running it on a regulated Legend mod. Is it safe? I’m using VTC5a batteries. Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

As long as your mod will fire that low then your good to go.

5 Likes

I’m sure there will be other people telling you the same thing as @Dan_the_Man and they are probably right.
The only question is, why are you going this low? Does it add anything spectacular to the vaping experience?

If not, why not add a few more wraps so you don’t push your batteries to the limit all the time.
Your batteries will last longer.

14 Likes

Personally I would use whatever exotic coil you’re using as a single coil, you’ll still get the rowdy vape you are chasing.

7 Likes

I don’t normally go this low, that’s why I was asking. I’m normally around 0.15-0.25. Usually I find coils have more resistance than they are supposed to, these two gave me less. In answer to your question, there is no change in flavour to speak of. I doubt I’ll do it again.

8 Likes

Safe is a relative term. Sure can do it but it does put more strain on the batteries which probably should do fine. Is it the best, for me maybe not so much. But hey you only live once. Lol

9 Likes

When using a regulated mod, if the mod will fire with that low of a resistance, the power setting is the only thing the mod “should be” interested in regarding battery safety. For example, a mod set at 200 watts will draw 25 amps from the batteries ( actually a bit more because of the efficiency of the electronics). At that point you are at max of what an 18650 can do safely per continuous amp ratings. Obviously some 18650’s are rated even lower. Mods react differently to overload conditions. Some will give you a warning such as low battery, others will simply not deliver the power you have asked for. With some mod and battery combinations you will experience no difference in vape from say 125 watts to 200 watts as the batteries simply can not deliver. Even with regulated mods, it is best know the batteries continuous amp rating and not exceed a wattage setting on the mod that will cause the batteries to try to exceed that rating.

14 Likes

I don’t know…is it safe?

Is it safe

7 Likes

Brilliant.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your post, together with Mooch 's test results. Fantastic. I ended up changing the coils after I’d finished the tank. I’m now at 0.14, but I think I’m going to go to 0.2. As you say, there’s no difference in flavour, it’s safer, and the batteries should last longer. Thanks.

5 Likes

I would agree. Batteries do not take well to high Current loads (in terms of “Voltage droop”, overall longevity, thermal safety). Much better to get that done with Mod output “Voltage compliance” (range) - which implies using somewhat higher (as opposed to lower) net, composite heating coil Resistances. (If one is willing to wait longer, and does not use very thick wire when creating coils), the same Coil-Wick Interface Temps can still be reached. Using “preheat” functionality helps my Mods “speed that up” a tad.

The use of thicker wire gauges in order to achieve a lower total Coil(s) Resistance requires more Coil Power (Watts) in order to achieve the same 10%-90% Temperature Rise Time (of increases in the Temperature of the Coil/Wick Interface). As a result, the particular coil wire gauge that is used in creating a coil(s) determines a specific range of Coil Power (Watts) within which an “acceptably fast” 10%-90% Rise Time can be realized - with the required amount of Power (Watts) increasing with wire thickness. Maximizing (inner) Coil Surface Area while minimizing Coil Mass minimizes 10%-90% RT.

3 Likes

Thanks. Great info. Much appreciate the help.

4 Likes

When I figured out the important parameters surrounding achievable “warm-up speed” as a function of wire-thickness (with correspondingly higher Mass), I realized that the problem really is one of “patience” (surrounding the “warm-up phase”) - the “overcoming” of which necessary costs one in the department of necessary Power levels (in Watts) and thus (average) battery Current draw from the batteries (if and when the Mod is out of “Voltage compliance”, more clearly called “maximum output Voltage range”).

3 Likes

I read that fast, and also while really tired, and I’m sitting here saying to myself, ‘Why the hell is Raven trying to explain warp speed to him?’

It’s bedtime. :wink:

8 Likes

That might be “wrap-speed” on front-end, then 10-90% coil-wick interface rise-times in the morning. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Too much Star Trek girl?

warp

8 Likes

Aha, is see that the search for the “Coronavirus Holy Grail” has been deemed project “Warp Speed”. :wink:

3 Likes

Ha :grinning:

You said ‘warm-up speed’ and my brain just mashed it together. That’s a heck of a coincidence though.

@Josephine_van_Rijn I use it to go to sleep to at night. Can’t go to bed without it.

7 Likes

And if we can just reach critical “orbital escape velocity” we can escape from this daft spinning rock ! :clown_face:

3 Likes

I’m a Trekkie myself and always need something to watch or listen to when I go to sleep, else my mind will wander. :grinning:

6 Likes