Amazon history

Yesterday I was ordering some things from Amazon. I went into my order history and went through the entire list. It began in 1999 with the order of

Culture Shock! United Arab Emirates (Culture Shock! A Survival Guide to Customs & Etiquette)

as my wife and I were moving there in August. I found going through the history to be fascinating as it was a timeline of the last 25 years of my life. For example, starting to play guitar in 2002, the birth of my first son in 2005, second son in 2007, learning my first son has Asperger’s in 2008, building a seriously large fort for them in 2010, and so on. It was nostalgic and a bit sad at times, mainly because it was a visual of how fast time has passed. Has anyone else done this?

12 Likes

Wow @natbone, interesting perspective on Amazon.

5 Likes

The UAE different for sure . I was there every 6 months when I was contracting for the DOD in Afghanistan. It’s damn hot but it was interesting. I stayed in Dubai mostly. Was cool as hell seeing people driving Land Rovers with a Jaguar or Tiger in the passenger seat.
Would love to try that here in the states.
Carjackings would drop 100%

9 Likes

The UAE must have seemed like paradise when coming from Afghanistan.

3 Likes

Staying in the hotels was about the only difference. Still had to keep your head on a swivel.
I didn’t trust anybody over there.

3 Likes

It wasn’t bad there at all. In 21 years I never saw a single act of violence nor did anyone I knew. I know the young Emiratis would settle their issues in the desert with their friends and tribes by their side using swords. It was the safest place I’ve ever been, except for the driving.

2 Likes