Amoretti Flavorings

I’ve tested some of the flavorings, that were send to me by Amoretti. All of these flavors have been mixed on February 1st, 2019 @ 0.75%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5%, 3%, 4%, 5% and at 6 as well as 8%, due to the recommendation made by users here in this topic.

All flavors have been tested as is (right out of the bottle aka knuckle test), mixed after 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days and today after about a little bit of over a month steep.

All mixes have been tested on the following equipment: Recurve RDA (Alien, SS316L, 3 mm ID, 6 Wraps, 0.32 ohm @ 45 watts), Hermetic RDA (Alien, SS316L, 3 mm ID, 5 Wraps, 0.42 ohm, @ 40 watts), Ammit MTL RDA, (Baby Alien, SS316L, 3 mm, 6 wraps, 0.56 ohm, @ 32 watt), Kylin Mini RTA, (Alien, SS316L, 3 mm ID, 0.27 ohm @ 55 watts), Intake RTA (Alien SS316L, 3 mm ID, 6 wraps, 0.40 ohm @ 40 watt) Elevate RTA, (Quad Core Fused Clapton, 3 mm ID, 6 Wraps, 0.23 ohm @ 60 watts) Every RDA/RTA was wicked with Kendo Vape Cotton Gold edition.

1. Apple Pie with “Crust” - Sku: #1085

Knuckle Test: sweet cooked apple with a very prominent spice note, some slight grainy darker under tone, that does remind of some kind of bakery, but not identifiable as a specific crust.

Mixed at 1%, all I am getting is a slight sweetness, that doesn’t come from the VG. It tastes like some kind of baking sugar substitute to be quite honest. Due to my experience, I would say it’s close to agave syrup (the taste not the texture or viscosity), followed up by a strong cardamom note that starts to show up in the middle of the vape and then lingers till the end. I don’t get any apple or any fruit notes at that percentage.

2% this wasn’t much better, neither was anything up till 3.5%.

3.5%, here I am getting a good and prominent crust, that’s flaky and airy. Reminds me a bit of an actual croissant or dutch apple pie kinda style of crust. But it’s a bit on the “darker” side, meaning there’s some kind of darker sweetener in it, and if I should guess the way it tastes, still certain it’s agave. Followed by a medium strong very well baked/cooked apple, this reminds me a bit of (FLV) Apple Filling, just not as strong and much more texture in comparison.

It’s like they switched the components, were FLV Apple Filling does have that great Apple Cinnamon taste but lacks any kind of body and texture, Amoretti’s version does have that body and texture including the gelatin, but is lacking the more prominent apple note.

Binding this all together is the spice note, this is not as prominent than in other apple pie’s out there, but it’s also not just limited to cinnamon. I am getting nutmeg, cardamom, slight hints of clove and then a good cinnamon. Overall, this flavor is definitely more on the “spicier/savory” side, rather than buttery overly sweet apple pie.

4-6% brought out that spice note a bit more, but the crust as well as the apple aspect didn’t change here at all. I do have to admit going above 6% with this flavor was a bit difficult, because I got so much spice that I just wanted to stop vaping lol. Not off notes or anything, just very spicy to a point of being uncomfortable.

Even at 6-8% same as above, just stronger in spice.

Off notes: None as far as I can tell.
Pairing: This is a good one shot I would say, due to the complexity this might be a bit more difficult to layer with other flavors. I tried layering it with some creams and such, but it just turned into a muddled mess. In my opinion, this is more of a use as is, or maybe add some more apple, crust too it, rather than let’s use it in or with a ice cream, custard etc.

Summary: First off all I would like to say this, the Amoretti bottle labels this as VG flavor. However this is not thick enough to be VG. I am assuming since I have no concrete answer from Amoretti itself, that this is a mix out of PG/VG with VG being the more dominant, just like Liquid Barn does it, or even a other carrier used that’s mixed with VG. This liquid does not smell or taste like it’s alcohol based.

Also, this bottle does have some kind of dark brown layer on top of the flavor. First I assumed it’s cinnamon flakes or something along the line, not surprising especially some more natural flavors can contain this, but this isn’t listed on the ingredients label and after taking a second look at it, this looks more like little black droplets. Like if you take honey and drop it in cold water, it forms this dark pearl and swims to the top, or tar lol. Anyways, point is, this isn’t oil of any kind, it’s also not cinnamon. I removed quite some amount of this before even attempting to mix with it. Licking it off my finger, does remind me of some kind of syrup, and again it taste nearly the same as my agave syrup I use for baking at home. I do hope that this concentrate does not contain any kind of sugar/syrup or substitutes because if, this needs to be written on the label, as well as marked as non vape able!

After this disclaimer, which I couldn’t just not talk about, this is definitely one of the better apple pie’s out there. Not only is it “complete” from apple note, crust all the way over to the spice note, that a good apple pie should have, but it’s also very well balanced. However due to the many spices in this mix, I personally would stay in the lower percentage range, otherwise it can be very overpowering.

1. Cookie Dough - sku: #1001

I will start with the warning right away here, because I don’t think this flavor was or is meant to be vaped! I wish somebody would have asked me before using me as a lab rat and I am being dumb enough to even attempting of vaping this. No I am not dramatic here, read on and you’ll ask yourself, why in the hell did she even try it? Well because I always believe that stuff can steep out or that smoking was actually more harmful and this won’t be such an issue. Wrong thinking in this case!

But I tested it, and this one I only tested it at 1% because after opening the bottle, the first wiff I took from it smelled like a bottle of liquid smoke that’s available at the grocery store. Knuckle test wasn’t better, in fact it was slightly burning on my tongue and it tasted just like liquid smoke or if you over use (FA) liquid amber. I thought maybe it’s that potent, and just mixed it.

First hit I took, made me insanely dizzy, followed up by a slight “spicy and warm” note that then all the sudden out of nowhere got stronger and hotter, as well as spicier and darker. It reminded me of walking through a room of actual smoke, like after a fire. This burning sensation in my throat, got stronger too and well I took a break, thinking it will steep out. Even days later my throat was still hurting and irritated.

I waited a couple of days and was brave enough to try it again. Here’s were I will call myself a idiot, because why… nobody knows lol.

Everything mentioned above was still present, just more amplified. On top of that I was now even getting a very strong alcohol note after the exhale of well i don’t know, stuff that tastes like liquid smoke. I needed to clean out my atomizer and I even ran it through my ultra sonic with no result, this stink is still in it, and can’t be used anymore. If I would be a bitch, I would send Amoretti a request of replacing my atomizer, but not going down that route.

Summary: I do not know what is in this concentrate, there should be no liquid smoke of any kind in it, even if it “simulates” a “darker/browned/burned” cookie or whatever they were thinking it will do, don’t put it in a flavoring bottle. Not even for the regular usage of food/candy flavoring. Again this flavor was once again not as thick as VG should be, letting me believe it’s in fact not pure VG, especially since this one did have a extreme alcohol smell too it.

I say that again, do not vape it!

1. Natural French Vanilla - sku: 652

Funny enough, just another flavor that’s not what it should be. Other members here did review a flavor that was/is called natural french vanilla, but if you look at the sku number, theirs is different. This flavor I have received, does lead to the homepage stating it’s French Vanilla, Natural. Does it matter? Normally not since it’s just syntax, but due to the fact that there’s not just one french vanilla flavoring in their line, maybe somebody should label them either differently or correctly.

This flavor I did not sample at all, the reason being is that the ingredient label states :
Natural French Vanilla Flavor, VG and Caramel color

Now some could argue that this is natural and what not, but I do not eat, drink or vape anything that contains color or coloring. I do not care if it’s natural, artificial, or a normal part of a flavor. Again this flavoring is thinner than water so, and clearly not VG based, it does smell more like burnt sugar then it does smell vanilla of any kind. Normal because that’s what caramel coloring is. Looking at Amoretti’s track record and the other flavors I have tried, I did not feel comfortable enough to vape this. I don’t think any kind of coloring is safe or should be vaped, but hey they are the experts right? :wink:

I would have tested it in some of my drinks, but even the nutrition hotline (number stands on the bottle), didn’t gave me any kind of information that I could be using. Therefore I even avoided this test. Does it taste like french vanilla? Who knows, one thing for sure, it doesn’t smell like it.

Do not vape this!

1. Natural Speculoos Cookie - sku #1331

Knuckle test: very ginger dominant, peppery, heat/warm sensation

0.75%, Ginger and something that imitates a certain warmth on your tongue. If you eat spicier food you know what I am talking about, this heat that slowly creeps up on you and makes your tongue tingle. No cookie texture or cookie/bakery taste of any kind. Not much too it.

1-4% didn’t yield to other results, besides the ginger getting even more prominent, which was very surprising because I thought that’s not even possible lol.

4.5-6% Here I am getting besides this very prominent ginger as the main note, notes of cardamom, nutmeg, anise, tiny bit of cinnamon but very faint. Still no bakery of any kind, neither any textural improvement. It’s very watery and the spice notes are all very heavy top notes, that do not have any body or depth to them.

7-8% It’s spicy, just like the apple pie, the spice notes are getting stronger but not in a good way. While there’s no direct off notes, this is overwhelming or at least too me. Maybe someone that likes being punched in the face by spice, might enjoy it at these percentage.

Summary: Again not a VG flavor even so it’s labeled as such. The bottle as well as the mixed version is very cloudy, which is normal when using natural ginger or in ginger dominant mixes. I get the same from NF Ginger.

This concentrate is a steeper, because as I mentioned all I was getting from it was Ginger. There was nothing else for a full 3 weeks, till the other notes finally showed up. Even in the lower percentage mixes.

I was extremely excited about this one, especially since the homepage claims that it tastes just like traditional speculoos found in germany, holland and france. Having moved here to the US 15 years ago I wanted this to be that “one” and only flavor that I’ll be vaping forever.

Well as usual there was nothing traditional or authentic or speculoos about it. I don’t know if somebody actually flew to europe and tried it, or licked over a picture found on google and imagined how a speculoos would taste like.

While this is a good flavor, it should be named Holiday or Seasonal Spice. In fact it reminds me more of pumpkin spice by mcCormick with stronger ginger note, than anything else. As such I would use it, at low percentage to compliment my seasonal bakeries.

Pairings: Fall/Holiday/Seasonal applications of any kind, pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, chai tea, tea’s, maybe coffee for example a pumpkin spice latte, eggnog, bakeries, custards, creams, plums and more.

I wouldn’t pair it with lighter or brighter flavors such as strawberry, lemon, kiwi, oranges and so on. It’s more of a darker heavier spice if that makes sense, as well as very top heavy and would just muddle with the top notes of the brighter fruits.

I am sorry for not writing about sunflowers and sunshine, but this is my own honest opinion, however as usual flavor notes are always based on an individuals taste buds and fall under the category of subjectivity. Some people might taste this the way I do, others don’t, but I do hope that no matter what you’re tasting, please be careful and inspect the ingredients labels prior to mixing and vaping these. Thank you for reading.

20 Likes

Great writeup with a transparent assessment.
Kudos!

11 Likes

@eStorm Very nicely done review.

After reading in the other thread the warnings to us all by some very respected mixers that are members of the ELR family I have opted to use the samples sent to me for beverage flavoring not vaping.

The quote above is the most important and relevant words of advice.

Sadly until Amoretti is more forthcoming with there listing of ingredients I for one would encourage EXTREME caution in using there flavorings for the purpose of vaping.

As you and others have already pointed out , many of there flavorings that list VG as the carrier are way to thin for VG to be the only ingredient in the carrier solution.

I would love to see Amoretti get there act together as far as what is CONSIDERED to be VAPE SAFE and also be more TRANSPARENT about there ingredients.

I like many others requested 5 flavorings to sample. They sent me 4 of the five I requested with no explanation why the filth one was not sent. I am not complaining at all just pointing out that there communication skills with people trying to help them enter the DIY vape market are less than adequate. IMHO

I for one think they have a LONG way to go and a lot to learn before they will gain the respect and trust of the DIY vape community.

Having said all of that I will say that the 4 flavors I was sent make some mighty fine FLAVORED VODKA.

10 Likes

So I recieved 5 samples a list is coming. I have vaped 2 of them it was nothing spectacular just a small batch. I been following this thread and am hesitant to try anything new with these flavors. My first test planned is the simple oil and water test ( see if it floats) …the knuckle test so so nothing telling. I’ll get on it this weekend.
THANKS FOR KICK ASS REVIEW =)

4 Likes