Any New Caramels Worth Noting?

I have a slew of 'em and other supporting flavors to make them come together but with so many new and good flavors on the market I was wondering if anyone has come across a caramel that can stand on its own (or close to it)? It could be hard crack or a topping, I don’t care.

5 Likes

Totally watching. I just stared playing with the combo of butterscotch mf and caramel mf and really liking the results but still new to the caramel mf…so I can’t expertly comment, but I really like my tester and should come across my last test in the next week in order to share.

3 Likes

Thx Chris. Funny, as I was writing I was hoping MF wouldn’t pop up for two reasons, price and steep time, lol. Yep, that’s the popular combo, butterscotch and caramel.

2 Likes

I am always on the hunt for a great caramel too @muth.

I do like CAP Caramel when used with FW Natural Butterscotch and a touch of MF Butterscotch at @Sprkslfly clued me into.

I just got VT Creme Caramel that smells excellent and I know that VT Salted Caramel is good, but to be effective needs to be used a bit higher than the norm for VT flavors at 3 to 4% if not used with another Caramel.

WF Milk Caramel Candy smells good, need to play with it more as haven’t found the percentage that makes it pop.

I like MF Caramel but just not what I am looking for in most cases to justify the price.

Caramel is tough so hope to get some info as well from others.

5 Likes

@muth I totally agree with mjag here.
I don’t think it’s worth it, unless it just totally nails what one is looking for.

To me, it was too light a profile at the normal 0.1% to 0.25% MF usage, and if it had to be pushed to ~1% then it was no longer worth it IMO, as there were other more reasonably priced options that were “close enough” for my tastes.

I am not a “caramel connoisseur” though, but for those who are, MF is totally a viable option, since it may be exactly what one is looking for…

5 Likes

I really liked your response. To be honest I have only used FA as an additive to a recipe and kindof avoid fw ingredients when I can.

At this point I am trying to chase a sweet caramel butterscotch (more on the butterscotch) ice cream.

4 Likes

Hey thx for all the suggestions. I might have those flavors, will have to look. I definitely have the CAP and FW. I recently got FLV Smoked Butterscotch but have not tested.

2 Likes

@mjag what is the ratio you would use for the two, CAP Caramel and FW Natural Butterscotch? Do you have a recipe you can show me? Thx

4 Likes

@Sprkslfly recipe but will give you an idea, tasty stuff

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/1804276/Sprks'%20Butterscotch%20Bliss

4 Likes

I want to try this but I don’t have MF Butterscotch, only MF Caramel. I do have NF Natural Butterscotch which was recommended to me by HIC, lol. But I see that @Sprkslfly is adamant about the MF. However, it does give me an idea of a ratio to work with. Thx mjag.

3 Likes

You might want to pick up FW Natural Butterscotch and also FW Butterscotch Ripple which is more creamy. FW also makes just a Butterscotch but the Natural version is better to me, one of my favorites.

The combo of CAP and FW is pretty good on it’s own but the FW needs to be in everyone’s stash IMO

5 Likes

Very agreed @mjag.

1 Like

I’ve only tried a few caramels but most seemed to have a kind of burnt taste. In saying that I enjoy TFA Dulce De Leche but not so much the version with the extra caramel.
One I recently tried was Hiliqs which did hit the spot quite well and to be honest surprised me. From memory I mixed it at 7% standalone.
I don’t know how accessible Hiliq is to you but it’s one that I’d recommend anyway.

3 Likes

Thx my friend, have all of them 'cept the FW regular butterscotch which, as you said, just wasn’t as popular.

3 Likes

That’s my problem and if they don’t taste burnt, they taste weak.

I’ve vaguely heard of Hiliqs. A European company? Where do you buy from?

4 Likes

Well, I just heard something promising about SSA Milky Caramel Fudge. @marsh8 would you be able to chime in on that? I haven’t bought it yet.

2 Likes

It’s a chinese company, @muth , hiliq.com

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay and your question has already been answered I see.
It is a Chinese company that I use on occasion but at first I was a little reluctant I admit. I just buy direct from them as I actually don’t think any vendors in Australia stock any of their products anyway.
Honestly though I’ve found their customer service and products very good.
I particularly like their tobaccos.

In relation to your original question coincidentally I have just had some luck with TFAs Dulce De Leche ( extra caramel version).

As mentioned before I’ve stolen recipes from here and adapted them to what I own.
As ever I’ve no idea whose recipe this originally was and I apologise for my plagiarism!
I was chasing a banoffee taste and ended up with this one that I decided to try.

Banana Split (FW). 8%
Banana Foster (TFA) 2%
Sugar Cookie (Cap). 3.5%
Cream Fresh (FA). 1.5%
Dulce De Leche, caramel (TFA). 3%
French Vanilla (TFA). 2%
Sweetener (TFA). 1%

Personally I find Banana Split (FW) very weak but think it works well enough here. The important thing to me was the caramel came through just fine and didn’t taste burnt. Which has led me to believe this has more possibilities that I originally believed.
My thoughts now are keep it low and assist it with creams?

I hope that’s not too far off topic but I thought it could be relevant.

3 Likes

It’s very relevant when a good caramel is hard to find. Thank you. I never tried the TPA Dulce de Leche Caramel so it’s on my list now. There are some new ones coming down the pike that I hope will offer good stand alone caramel flavor. If anything knocks my socks off I’ll post it here.

4 Likes