Any plumbers here?

I’m going to have to do some research on proper venting to make a call on that. The only thing that’s stuck in my head, is why since we’ve lived here for a while, and never had the problem before, AND, that it slowly crept up on us, that has me thinking…

Greatly appreciate ALL the posts here guys, thanks for that. Pluming on a DIY ejuice forum, who’d a thunk it ??

2 Likes

I understand your need to vent about your plumbing, it can be very draining on you.
Not to sink to another level, and in hopes of flushing away some possibilities of the problem(s),
a couple factors come to mind…maybe you aren’t peeing enough in your pee trap,
and/or you didn’t close the door on your water closet.
It may help to gurgle it on youTube.
Good luck, Brother.

2 Likes

OMG, This is a hoot! ELR’s very own Handy Man thread!. ELR, the one stop shop for everything you can think of. I hold plumbers in the highest regard. I have routinely turned drips into floods. I can sweat a copper joint but beyond that I’m a disaster in progress.

1 Like

That does not surprise me at all on ELR. This is one of the most diverse groups of people I have ever seen in one place.

I had read this thread but not being a professional plumber myself did not reply.

I spent the day yesterday at my recently deceased Father-In-Laws preparing for an estate sale. Both of my Brother-In-Laws are professional plumbers so I told them your story. Both of them wanted to know if you are on City water and sewer or if you have a septic tank and drain field? They also wanted to know IF you are on a septic system how long it has been since it has been pumped out. They indicated that if the septic system has not been pumped out within the last 5 to 7 years it is possible the methane gas venting from it out your house vents has increased in pressure. That would explain why it has slowly been getting worse.

Both of them also said it is highly doubtful that there is an issue with the drain (EDIT Vent not Drain.) being plugged up as neither of them have ever seen that issue in the 20 plus years they have been plumbing but they have seen many older houses that did not have proper vents installed.

One Brother-In-Law is now a county plumbing inspector and he was more inclined to think as @Too_tall has already pointed out that the issue is your vents are not properly installed and the solution would be the mechanical vents he mentioned installed at the problem drains would solve the issue you are having.

Hope this helps…

2 Likes

@wvsanta thanks for asking. We are on city water/sewer. From what I remember 17 years ago, don’t remember it happening back then, but slowly over time, I started to notice it. Maybe more from the basement washing machine when it dumps, but again, seems to have slowly krept up on us, nothing all of a sudden. I do appreciate the help.

1 Like

Going to do some reading…

1 Like

every time the toilet flushes correctly it is one of life’s small victories :grinning:

3 Likes

Did you ever get this figured out?

1 Like

Seems like it subsided so not really, … yet.

1 Like

@Cutlass92 My laziness knows no bounds …

Well that’s was wondering which drains they where, if it was kitchen and bathroom sinks then it may have just been build up on the drains. There are a lot of greases oils and fats in everything we use. And they stick to the walls of the pipes. I’ve had good luck with enzyme drain cleaners like this one. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Commercial-Drain-Care-Build-Up-Remover-64-fl-oz-Drain-Cleaner-Pour-Bottle/3745757

It’s non toxic and is more of a preventive measure.

3 Likes

Zep does make some pretty good stuff.

Drummer, you’re lazy? Pfft. I have septic where I live, and totally waited too long to have the tank pumped; went over like 3 years. When they finally came out to pump it last Spring, they actually had to drive the truck down to the tank because the ‘waste compaction’ was such that the 75’ hose could not build adequate suction to suck it on out. Yeah, I should have done it sooner but that was funny to hear. The guy looked pretty defeated when he came to the door and realized who was responsible for probably 70% of that compacted waste. That’s right man, remove my poo from my concrete box!!! Ah, little victories. He practically begged me not to wait so long to get it pumped next time…

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure when we talked about this last time, you did refer me to try some shizzle in the drains. I got so much going on right now, that when the gurgle gurgle subsided, I was like, “OK, onto something else” LOL. I know it’s going to come back, and hopefully when I’m not so jammed up.

Basement unfinished, and can lay hands on the main stack, which includes that bathroom, can’t find any other stacks (i.e. main drain with vents), BUT, can see second, smaller vent on roof, so I know it’s there, maybe they tapped them together somewhere, maybe just tied all into main stack, and added vent to the kitchen side to try and speed up the drains. Not sure yet.

2 Likes

@TW12 Roger that. On the luxurious city waste out here, BUT, I’m still pretty good at putting shit off, until turds are pushing there way up, against gravity before I act, LOL.

2 Likes

Just grab a bottle next time your in Lowe’s or order it online, then just put a bit down the drain every month and you’ll never have a problem.

4 Likes

What’s PROBABLY going to happen, is I’ll let it go until the shit hits the fan (pun intended), then I’ll call @Cutlass92 because I can’t trust any plumbers in my local area (long story), and I’ll have to BEG Molly to ship him out in a Vape Mail Box to get it all sorted out.

4 Likes

Can the “consumer” actually buy good commercial stuff from a box store ?

2 Likes

Nice!! Watching him dig your excrement from your drains would be worth a video capture…

2 Likes

If they sell it at a big box store, you can buy it.

2 Likes

Hehe I wouldn’t do that to him. I’m not a plumber, and even though I’ve DONE pluming, still not a plumber. I think they have like a sub-stack for the kitchen side, tapped it into the main stack and had venting problems, and tried to put up a sub-stake mini vent to try and fix it, which MIGHT have worked when everything was super clean. Maybe main vent or mini vent are clogged with leaves or something, dead animals, crack pipes, who knows ?? !!!

2 Likes