Anyone do concrete work?

One of the things I have yet to do is lay a concrete slab…I am putting in a Hot Tub 85" x 85" I’m trying to confirm how thick I should make this slab…I want a 10’ x 10’ slab I am thinking 6" thick reinforced with a metal grid etc…Is 6" too much ??

5 Likes

I don’t do concrete work, but a 4" with mesh and 3200 psi would be fine. 6" will be better, but I don’t think required.

5 Likes

I do Concrete for a living. I agree with @SessionDrummer that 4" or 120mm is the standard. Thicker slabs are generally driven on like driveway crossings , bus pads etc.

8 Likes

Awesone ty @SessionDrummer and @mixologist13 sometines when I do something for the first time I tend to over do it…

6 Likes

Is there any products you would use over others ??

4 Likes

This probably just answers my question regarding Rebarb

4 Likes

Not sure what you mean by products. are you planning on hand mixing concrete bags!?? 10x10 feet is 3.048metres x 3.048metres x .10metre (4") equals 0.93 cubic metres of concrete. The minimum you can order is 1metre (yard at a time) here that will run you 250$ plus a small load charge of about the same so say 500$ . If you do bags it may be cheaper but also wayyy more labor involved…

5 Likes

Yes I will have to donit by hand bc I cant get a truck to the area where the patio is being done…By materials I meant a brand of concrete mix ? Something that may contain anti fracture or whatever …For example when inset tile I like to use Customs Flex Bond , instead of using hardibacker is prefer Denshield stuff like that

4 Likes

Strength is determined by water to cement ratio, and is tested by MPa(mega Pascal’s) basically the amount of pressure required to fracture the concrete. If you must hand mix I suggest renting a cement mixer to ensure you get a proper mix without to much water content. Too much water will weaken your slab and you will be there forever waiting for the water to “bleed” off

5 Likes

As far a bag selection goes with an outdoor slab with just a jacuzzi on top I wouldn’t splurge. I used 50$ a bag stuff my concrete countertop mix but that is specific mix for a specific application , @t 4" thick and not bearing much weight any old bagged concrete will do IMO Do keep in mind anything below 5degrees celcius it is not recommended you pour unless you have insulated tarps to protect it with as it cures…

4 Likes

Does this include the entire curing time ??? Or initial ? When i pour it would be apprx 55 degrees but the evening will cool dramaticalky , another thing I didn’t consider was Rain… Damn it

2 Likes

Another thing …ive been researching and it seems crushed gravel is used often , then the mesh them concrete ( basically ) is the crushed gravel needed in this application

2 Likes

I think this answered my temperture question , and what about rain??? Doesn’t make sense to do in the rain and cold does it ?

Im thinking it may be worth building a temporary wood deck/platform until Spring / Summer

1 Like

Yes, yes, and more YES @fidalgo_vapes.

https://braenstone.com/crushed-stone-under-concrete/

3 Likes

I have done quite a bit of concrete. For that about you realy want a mixer. Mixing almost a cubic meter by hand will seriously suck.

Another thing to consider is roping in a few buddies and getting a wheelbarrow each. Then get it delivered premixed and just take it around back.
We did this at my place for foundations to the extension.
You can just get driver to keep filling the wheelbarrows until its all gone.

6 Likes

The wheel barrow idea is a good one

4 Likes

If you do it that way check pressure in all the tires first. A wheelbarrow full of concrete with a flat tire is bloody hard work. Lets not go into how i found that out.

5 Likes

Im building a temporary deck until spring time…its too wet and cold here right now to fo concrete …but will definitely keep this in mind

5 Likes