Anything to make a sale

Yep a lot of us do our research before we even hit the retail store. When we bought our mobile home I did some remodeling and replaced a bathtub. Went to the Ferguson store after having selected a tub and fixture that I wanted. This kid comes up to me and wants to help. I tell him what I want he immediately tells me no I don’t want that it would be stupid to buy that one because it won’t last very long. I was nice and bit my tongue asked if he was new to which he replied he had been there three months. I took him aside and explained that he just lost a sale because you never ever tell the customer that their choice is stupid. You need to gradually lead them away from it and into an upsale, however that doesn’t always work because sometime somebody wants something for a reason and I had my reasons and now I needed someone who could help me. As I walked away he followed me trying to talk me into buying a more expensive tub. I stopped him twice and told him to back off leave me along or I’d call for the manager. He just wouldn’t back off. I finally went to the sales desk asked for the store GM and while I waited this kid comes up with a brochure and tries to tell me why I wanted it I tore it up stuffed it in his back pocket and told him I wanted the cheap fiberglass one because it was going in my guest bath and probably would be used less than 25 times in my lifetime. besides it fit exactly which made it easier for me. and gently pushed him away. About that time the manager comes out and asked what I wanted I explained what had gone on and that now I was going to go elsewhere and buy a tub and fixture. He shook my hand walked with me on my way to the door and said if I was at all interested he’d give me both at half price. Oh and would I consider giving the kid another chance if it were me. I told him the kid needs to learn that sincerity and honesty would earn him a whole lot more commission than a quick upsale. In the following year I spent a lot of money and all of it with the manager and the deal was that the kid got a copy of each invoice so he could see how much he lost out on.

7 Likes

theres a lesson taught lmao i think ill do that next time i have to bail out a salesperson to save a project lol

1 Like

There was a snotty kid who tried to do that to me with a TV. No matter how I told him I cared more about reliability of reception, he kept trying to sell me a more expensive model because it had higher resolution HD. I could see the expensive model would pixel out every time I touched it but the cheaper model was solid picture 100%. That’s what I need since I’m using an OTA antenna in an electrically quirky old house and no matter how good the picture is, first of all my eye balls don’t receive HD and the quality doesn’t matter if the reception won’t bring it in. Then he insisted I needed the 60$ antenna or I should get cable and told me I was wasting my money on the cheaper TV. I got the same TV 30$ cheaper at Best Buy.

2 Likes

My wife gets upset and sometimes a little embarrassed because when they try to screw with me I screw back. I don’t shop for anything major without already having made a choice or at least having it narrowed down to three or four. two or three years ago I bought a Panasonic Viera inch for less than $500.00 because the corner of the box was damaged. The only stipulation was that it was noted on the recipt that the box was damaged so if when I got it home it had an issue of some sort they could accuse me of dropping it or something. It works like a charm with the exception of the video card in it. It went out and when the guy came out under warranty to replace it I had to have a copy of my receipt for him when he saw the price I paid I thought he was going to choke.

Oh yeah he also told me that had a whole lot that the card was defective and was going to do a recall but discovered that like 80% of them had already been done under a warranty call.

A little on the side, but several years ago I got a call from a young guy who wanted to give (yes, give) me a free CD. I asked about the downside, but there wasn’t any… I’ve been fooled before and told him no thanks. He kept pushing and I kept telling him I didn’t want this “free CD”, whereas he said the famous (in our family now) sentence: “I think you forget that I know where you live” :flushed:

1 Like

What a creepy thing to say over the phone to someone you never met or talked to before. I would have reported that individual to the police or someone with authority to handle it.

4 Likes

thats freaking freaky i would have flipped out

1 Like

ya the problem with the police is that it was probably someone from a call center out of this country but yes i would have at least tried to get someone to figure something out bc thats creepy

2 Likes

I got so quick-tempered that I just yelled “WHAT??!?!” and hung up. But of course I should’ve made sure he found himself something else to do - something he actually liked doing.

2 Likes

That’s when you keep him on the phone and get his number off the id and pry him for any other info. If all else fails you can always let him like I have
"my two best night time friends are Smith and Wesson" If you get enough information don’t even I just realized you’re in Norway, not sure who you’d call there but I learned and for all others here in the states especially if it’s some sort of a business doing this, Call the or contact the FCC. I’m sure Norway has their own way of dealing withit.

3 Likes

I will do that if I run into him again, lol, but yes, we do have places I could have called back then.

You can contact that register in Ålesund i think it is so they take your number off the list that these phone sale companies can phone.

Unless you already have done that, it is my tip for you to do.

1 Like

Yup, I am unavailable for phone sales now, even though some find loopholes still. Thank you.

2 Likes

Been there myself, had to block those people or i had a bunch of calls each day and it got real tiresome to be honest. But as you said they find some loopholes to get around it and when they did call i reported them to that register and it could cost them a lot of money if they continued.
So report anyone that still calls you, it is worth it.

2 Likes

WTF?!! o0
I would have fired right back with “Make sure to bring your ID if you come, so they know where to return the body!”

There’s a joke, and then there’s a threat. Know the difference. It may save your life.

2 Likes