Applying nic type change to saved recipes?

Hi all,

I’ve had a search around, and think i know the answer, but before I manually edit my 100 plus recipes(!) I thought I’d just ask…

Recently changed from VG base nic to PG… used the “Set these base values as default”, so any new recipes will be fine, but i take it there isn’t any quick way to change all my existing recipes?

Cheers,
Dave

2 Likes

I think the only way to do that is manually but I’m not sure. I’ve moved this topic to the feedback section so @staff can see it. They know more than I do :smiley:

4 Likes

Dank je wel Josephine

5 Likes

If you click the edit recipe I believe it will go to the new defaults.

1 Like

@SuperFrog, doesn’t appear to for me, just an edit and save leaves the nic as VG.

1 Like

Odd, I thought I had the opposite problem when I change default nic, I had the feeling it was changing on edits.

Have you tried adapt instead ( it is not ideal as it will create a bunch of new recipes )

1 Like

Think I’ll just crack a beer and go through them all. I only ran out and changed nic today, did 4 recipes, changed the 1st, forgot to on the 2nd, remembered on the 3rd, then c0cked up the 4th!!

3 Likes

In retrospect I wish I’d stuck with VG nic :smirk:

3 Likes

@Sirocco1 I think I had the same issue. Started out with VG NIC but quickly grew tired of the PITA having to warm it up, constant shaking to try and mix it before mixing and switched to PG NIC. Like you, when I went back to some of the older recipes that had been saved under the older defaults, they did NOT assume my new defaults. I just bit the bullet and manually changed them. I do not regret moving to the higher, PG based NIC however as it has made my mixing much easier.

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer. Exactly the same reason I changed. Apart from dropping some max VG recipes (which doesn’t bother me at all), I am enjoying the convenience…

When I first started DIY, I bought a litre of nic, split it into 15ml bottles and stored them in the freezer. I had read about O2 exposure and figured that would be a good way to store it. Hardly convenient though.

I now have half a litre of PG (amber glass) in the fridge. One question for you, would you think it will keep OK to just keep it like that, opening it and drawing off when i mix?

I mix about twice a month, and would expect to go through the 500ml in under a year…

I found one of my first original 15ml bottles in the freezer recently. That would be 3yrs old… Crystal clear.

Cheers,
Dave

3 Likes

@Sirocco1 If you are at least keeping it cool, you’re in the right direction. If you DO use one big bottle and continue to open it, you will speed up oxidation on your ENTIRE bottle. If you break it down, and only open one small bottle at a time, you minimize how MUCH of your NIC you are oxidizing. It’s really up to you. Because I’m always buying bigger bottles now, it made sense to me to break up into smaller bottles, and put them in the freezer.

4 Likes

Think I’ll get some 100ml (ish) glass and split it that way. Those 15ml bottles were a pain, especially with VG!

3 Likes

@Sirocco1 I have a hodge podge of amber glass bottles for NIC, anywhere from 60ml to 120ml.

2 Likes

@Sirocco1 I am running low on nic, and that is what i am going to do , go to pg base, like @SessionDrummer said,it is a pain to shake, all the time, even when in small 100ml. bottles.

1 Like

I like my VG nic, but as I mentioned somewhere prior, it doesn’t allow for quick mixing of recipes you might have found, and getting extremely excited about lol.

I store my nic in the freezer but keep a 60ml on hand, well in the fridge, I’ll take it out 2-4 hrs before I want too mix something. Placing it in my kitchen cabinet, so it stays dark. During summer, since I live in California, I can mix after 1-2 hrs already.

It takes lots of preparation and if that’s something that can be annoying, I would agree that switching to pg nic, might be an better option.

2 Likes

@Mix_and_Hope Sure is. I’m quite sure there are plenty of VG NIC fans out there, and warming would clearly help in thinning it, to prevent hot spots in the NIC, but warming it, would also speed the oxidation, so I just wanted an easier way.

2 Likes

When I started mixing I got my nic in 50/50 pg/vg mixes and it works well for me, it’s not hard to mix and I can still get down to some mostly PG mixes. And it drips and pours better than all VG.
I also started out with just 36mg base, but now I’m more used to mixing i’ve bumped that up to the 48mg base to save a little money and still have somewhat safe mixing ingredients.
But I still use the 50/50.
(my 2 cents)

1 Like

To change the recipe in the recipe side, I found it easy to just adapt my own recipe, make the change, and code the change into the recipe name. i.e. I add “48base” or “salt” to the end of the recipe name.

2 Likes

Aye, i have to add “12mg” at the end of titles for someone else i mix for so the thought of a global change of nic level would be detrimental

3 Likes