Ares 2 MTL

Congrats, welcome to the world of tootlepuffing. Always been a MTL vapist as the DTL just felt wrong. I never smoked DTL so never got my head around why I would vape that way.

4 Likes

Congrats, welcome to the world of tootlepuffing.

Thats a good one. First thought was what the f)(k is tootlepuffing but that be MTL.

3 Likes

For a coil calculator I use the “Vape Tool” Android app. If you have an Android phone or tablet here is the Google Play Store link to Vape Tool Pro

It has a coil building calculator that is similar to the online Steam Engine coil building calculator.

There are also Ohms Law charts to quickly see if a coil at a certain resistance and supplied Voltage settings will be demanding to many Amps of current for your battery/s max continuous current rating. The charts are geared towards using Mechanical non-regulated Mods but even for regulated Mods if you build your coils in the optimal range you’ll still get a great vape and your batteries can last longer. Just search the web for “Vaping Ohms chart”, and “Vaping sub-Ohms chart” and you’ll get too many to choose from.

The coils that come with Atomizers are usually chosen to provide a great vape. The manufacturer wants to showcase their product and leave you with a good first impression. So it’s a good idea to write down the details of the coil they provide so you can use the info to copy it or buy pre-made coils like that later. I write down the type of metal, the inside diameter of the coil wraps, the number of wraps used, if the legs are both on the same side or on opposing sides, and of course the Ohms of resistance they measure out to.

5 Likes

Been playing around with the calculator and am learning how it all works. Thinking maybe 28g is the way to go for me. I am shooting for around 1.5- 1.6 ohm with around 7 raps for the salt nic mix. Kanthal wire. Tried the 26g 1ohm prebuilt coil and it works ok but seems a bit hot.
The calculator gives me some idea of the type of wire I need to achieve the wattages I need for different applications. Like for sub ohm around .5 the kanthal would only be around 3 wraps but with the 316l stainless would be around 8 wraps. So yeah like you said have to play around and build some coils and see what works.

3 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

2 Likes

Welcome @Wozzle

2 Likes

Welcome to ELR @Wozzle.

1 Like

Hey I have an Ares 2 it comes with 2 kanthal coils but I prefer 316L SS 28g about 5-6 wraps around a 2.5mm coil jig.If u buy kanthal ID get 26g.My fav mtl wire is 30g vandy vape Superfine mtl clapton wire.Or just buy premade Rba coils if u don’t normally wrap single wire coils.I just guess the ohms( no ohm meter) whatever my mod says I vape it accordingly as far as Watts.The smart chip wont let me vape higher anyway than the wire and ohm reading unless I bypass to Tc mode.Its a great tank never leaks but honestly I struggle to get a ton of flavor from it but ok

3 Likes