Ok, so I recently replaced the 510 pin on an atomizer with a bf pin, and put a single coil in just to check the ohms of the coil. The coil was used in a different rda before, but I took a couple wraps out to use it on a mech. So I installed it in the rda and it reads 1.4 ohm on my dna 200, should be more like .25-.3, so then I put it on my eleaf mod and it reads the same and when I fire it says atomizer short. I disassembled and reassembled the rda, nothing is touching anything it shouldn’t, put a new coil on it and it reads fine on both devices. Took that coil out and put the clapton back on and it’s the same high ohm atty short problem. Could a broken wire inside the fused clapton cause this? I’m fine with using a new coil and pitching this old one, but now I am scared to use this rda on a mech even though the new coil reads out fine…anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
Did it give you “atomizer short” on both your DNA and eLeaf?
When you changed out pins was there, or did you see, a peak insalator on the pin?
And please don’t do this for your safety until you get it sorted. I am not sure I would put this RDA on a mech until I had used it for a long bit on a regulated mod.
The insulator is in place, no metal from the pin or positive post is touching the rda anywhere I can see. My dna for some reason does not give me the atty short message, but it does read the coil ohm ridiculously high. The clapton was a 3.5 mm ID 5/6 wrap 2x26/36 all SS316L and it was reading at 1.4 ohm. But like I said, that clapton was already used, had it on a tsunami with a 7/8 wrap but I was gonna repurpose it and take a couple wraps out so it would hit better. I’m wondering if maybe one of the core wires could have been damaged and that is causing it? Idk, I’m about to put the coil back on the tsunami and if it still reads crazy high then I’ll at least know it’s the coil and not the atty.
Old coils get brittle from use and dry firing, so agreed an inner wire has fractured if a Clapton
I would try a simple single wire coil to rule out your clapton being the problem. If it’s still off, look at the build deck and make sure any insulator(s) are not skewed and that your positive post is sitting tight on the deck.
Also, make sure your outer wrap wire didn’t break and a loose end may be touching the deck/post. This has happened to me and with a 40g wrap and was very hard to see.
I did that already and it read it fine on both my regulated devices, I put that in my initial post but I just re-read it and it was not very clear in the post. I’m 99% sure that the coil is just bad, but I haven’t had that happen before, granted I don’t keep coils long enough for them to wear out though. It just has me paranoid because I had just replaced the 510 with a bf pin from fat daddy vapes. I have been building coils and wire since June or July of last year but this squonker is my first mech, so I’m just a little paranoid lol thanks for the outer wrap suggestion, I might have missed something like that. When I get a chance I will put the clapton on a different rda and if it still reads wrong then I will know it’s the coil.
It was definitely the coil, idk what was wrong with it but it didn’t work on two other rda’s. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!