Ban on Yoga

One step forward, two steps back.
Why is the only motivation these days (years) concoted from fear?
Control the fear, control the masses.
Complete and total horseshit.

4 Likes

There are places I can take a nice walk. I just need to find the motivation to do it. My hope is to set up some weekend morning walks with friends…combined with coffee and good conversation. It is easier for me when I have company. Thanks for the suggestion.

4 Likes

I’ve been practicing for about 15 years and have found it helpful in so many ways. And it folds in perfectly with my recovery in other areas. And you are so right about the confusion…kind of like with different denominations of Christianity, Judaism and Muslim. People want to paint with one broad and single brush, yet there are many colors in the palette and many brushes. Different colors and brushes work for different folks, depending on their needs, wants and outlook.

5 Likes

Right, I had to ask them to label it as a roll of tar paper.

2 Likes

Do you use the chant, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo?

2 Likes

That is one I am not familiar with. Most of my chanting and “worded meditations” are in English. I know and use some of the Pali/Sanskrit terms because some of them don’t translate well into English. For example, dukkha is usually translated as “suffering”, but dukkha is a spectrum word that covers everything from minor irritation, minor distress and anxiety, to horrific human suffering. When I think of suffering, it is an extreme word and dukkha does not always imply “suffering”. Same with tanha, usually translated as “desire”. Tanha fits better with the words “craving” or “unquenchable thirst”. But many believe that Buddhists believe all “desire” (tanha) should be eliminated. Not true…there are desires that can be healthy and useful (chanda). But somehow tanha got translated as “desire”. Hence, lots of misunderstandings that color Buddhism in an inaccurate light.

A common “worded meditation” I use goes like this:
May you be happy, peaceful, light in body and spirit.
May you be safe and free from harm.
May you be free from anger, resentment, fear doubt and anxiety.
May you be able to see yourself through the eyes of love and compassion.
May you be able to recognize and water the seeds of happiness and contentment that are already in you.

I have something similar for forgiveness that I find helpful.

Both are important to me because we all need kindness, compassion and forgiveness. Thanks for asking.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree. That was the beginning of Siddhartha’s enlightenment. After many years of practicing austerities and coming near to starvation from extreme fasting, he realized that austerities were not the way to enlightenment; that desire itself was the fuel to light the fire of enlightenment. Many also believe that extinguishing their problems will make them happy but problems are the fuel for enlightenment as well. It is how we view or manage them that makes the difference. To an experienced mountain climber, Mt. Everest is a joyful challenge. To an untrained, weak person it is unbearable.

If you feel like reading I found some material on Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and it’s meaning:

https://www.sgi-usa.org/2016/01/20/what-is-nam-myoho-renge-kyo-2/

4 Likes

Back to the yoga ban…it was being discussed on the radio today. I guess it made a big “splash” with everyone. They were talking to an Alabama congressman.

3 Likes

Me too.
If it wasn’t for yoga, vallum and i would be great friends.

4 Likes

Great thread !!!

3 Likes

I think if they just call it morning exercise routine then their shouldn’t be a problem.Really silly that they are thinking of yoga as a religious practice.

4 Likes

there are those that would call eating a plate of spaghetti a religious experience.
and while silly, i can relate . so “to each his own”

4 Likes

Right, if they had never mentioned the name yoga they probably wouldn’t know the difference. Can you imagine some parents complained about it? Heck, if my kid was getting free yoga lessons in school I’d be thrilled, thank you very much!

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

3 Likes

I don’t have a in-depth knowledge of Buddhism. My Brother is a practicing Buddhist.

3 Likes

No kidding, do you know what he practices?

2 Likes

Honestly I really don’t know?
My guess is Mahayana, based on our discussions. But I would have to ask him to be certain.

3 Likes

Sounds like you know a lot. Mahayana is distinguished from Hinayana by the fact that Mahayana Buddhists believe in practicing amongst the community and not in some far away place divorced from the people.

3 Likes

TBH, I just started discovering yoga. Never thought that learning Hinduism is an obligatory part of it. I considered yoga as a regular exercising. I already tried several Yanva asanas for beginners. And I really like the effect it gives to my body and mind, but it doesn’t mean I’ll turn to Hinduism. Yeah, I know that it’s more than just a sport, but a spiritual development, however, it should be a choice of every person and I agree that imposing a philosophical part of it to children isn’t correct.

4 Likes

Awareness of the different beliefs and traditions is in no way essential. Though, it is useful to get a working impression of the movement of qi and meridian points, if just to grasp the gist of the lexicon.

I wouldn’t be walking at all, let alone an average of 12 miles a day, without tai chi and yoga.

3 Likes