Battery question

All the batteries I’ve used are mostly 18650 3000mahMaybe a couple 2500 mah.
I’m seeing 5000mah and 9000mah. What’s the difference and are they safe. I’ve never had any problems with my batteries over the years and don’t want to start.
Thanks, this will be a good question for the new vapers,

6 Likes

Link the batteries and specs, the mah sounds fishy and at least in the past were false claims for shady companies that used rewraps, what you want to see is the other info along with brands.

10 Likes

@Fordf150_Angelo I’m with @anon44012888 on this one …

Sounds like Re-Wraps with lengthy claims to me …

8 Likes

And of course THIS comes to mind …

8 Likes

I think you should look at the specs, specifically the Continuous Discharge Rate. If it’s not at least 20 amps or better don’t use it.

8 Likes

These are just a few i was talking about, from China, im not buying any but i see the difference in the MAH’s and thats where my questions started

4 Likes

I used to have Ultrafire battery wraps and go to vape shops with mech mods and watch the people there panic.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Words to live by.

10 Likes

Notice how none of them have the discharge rate listed?

9 Likes

Mostly these type batteries are used in power banks, laptop battery…

If you try these batteries, you will feel low power during fire.

In simple words, don’t use fishy mah capacity.

4 Likes

Using any battery with ‘Fire’ in the name would be a red flag to me.

11 Likes

I won’t even consider any battery if the seller does not list the discharge limit. Are those batteries safe for a 30A discharge, a 10A discharge? That’s not something to guess about. A 10A max continuous discharge may be fine to use in a LED Flashlight but not in your sub-Ohm vaping mod that’s going to be pulling ~20 A for a moderate build. You can vape certain builds on lower rated batteries but you have to know how to build and operate your vape in a manor to stay under the Max Continuous discharge limit.

As for your LED Flashlight, I don’t feel comfortable not using “protected” batteries in them. Who hasn’t left their flashlight on without realizing it?

I only use Molicel batteries for vaping. IMO they are worth the price. Regardless of the specific battery, I will only buy from 18650batterystore.com, imrbatteries.com, or liionwholesale.com to ensure I’m buying the genuine product. There may be a couple of other sellers that can be trusted but not all can. The three I listed are based on feedback from the vaping community at large and most importantly from battery Mooch recommendations. As a community we are fortunate to have battery Mooch as our advocate! Few people will put their heart, soul, money, and time into a relatively small group of enthusiasts with little or no monetary return.

10 Likes

Last batteries i bought were from the batterystore, these other batteries are from China and i wouldn’t trust them as far as it comes to batteries for our vapes i do go the safe way, more so with me holding them up to my face :smile: i was just wondering whats with the distance in the higher mah,

7 Likes

In general the mAh rating, if honest and accurate, is like the size of the gas tank in a car. Big mAh is a big gas tank, small mAh is a small gas tank. Big will always be bigger and vice versa. You can still do things to extend the range or things to limit your range.

In general, a battery with very high mAh will have a low Max continuous discharge rating. A battery with a very high Max continuous discharge rating will have a lower mAh rating.

9 Likes

Cool. Thanks, i didn’t know if it was the higher the mah the harder it would hit, anyway, im sticking to my 3000mah state side,

5 Likes

It’s not the harder it can hit. The higher the mAh the less it can handle a harder hit without damage.

The capacity depends on the amount of electrolyte in the battery. High discharge rates are obtained by using Anode and Cathode materials with larger particles(the reason why they can handle a higher discharge rate). The larger particles material leaves less room for electrolyte and therefore less capacity.

High discharge equals more heat. The electrolyte will liquify at a given Temperature resulting in Thermal runaway and combustion.

Everything I know about batteries came from https://batteryuniversity.com/

Hopefully my description is translated correctly without any major flaws. Im not a battery expert and I don’t work in that field.

11 Likes