Beadalon spool tamer - if you haven’t heard about it

I have always used jewelry making tools for coils (when I still built them) but I have never come across this one. Some of these coil making geniuses could make some cool jewelry if they chose.

7 Likes

As some of you know I create all kinds of complex coils. Early on in my wire spinning someone told me about spool tamers. I went on Amazon and got a pack of about 20 of them. I always ended up taking them off of my rolls. Maybe I’m not using them correctly but it’s my opinion that they just get in the way. I use painters tape to fasten the ends of my spools. That’s what has worked best for me. The only time my wire would want to unravel like crazy is if I actually dropped the spool.

The first time I ever encountered a spool tamer was with a roll of Wotofo wire. That one just got in the way too so I should’ve known that I didn’t need them for my round wire rolls.

As far as making claptons and all that, I just do it free hand or whatever the term would be.

7 Likes

So you don’t get finger groove syndrome? :rofl:

5 Likes

Definitely…I could see some nice bracelets in some of the coil wraps. I always wondered if you could weave your own mesh. I’ve seen woven wire on jewelry tutes. I’d be interested in what kind of resistance you could get.

4 Likes

there are a few guys that make mesh, 20 core SFC ? they say it blows away sheet mesh.

2 Likes

imagine 20 core

11 Likes

Same here my friend. I bought several from a hobby shop and gave them away shortly after.

4 Likes

The thinner you go on cores OR the clapton wrap, the harder staggered fused claptons get. They’ve been my jam the last few months though.

My personal bests:
Thinnest cores: 32ga (5x32/40, on the bottom)

Most cores: 7 (7×30/40ga)

Thinnest stagger: 42ga (3x27/42)

Staggering 7 x 30cores was tough enough the way I do it. I could try to get up to 10 but I’d have to drop the core size. When I used 32ga cores I used SS. That is some really flimsy wire to play with as cores. N80 might be better. Still 20 cores is a lot. Props to whoever is doing that. I believe them that it’d vape better than a thin strip of mesh.

9 Likes

you got my Prop’s :+1: . i have done 2 core well enough to use, 3 core was a failure, but i think i know what i did wrong. my main problem is seeing those darn tiny wires. i’m thinking about getting one of those magnifiers that are on a stand.

the 20 core was done by one of the bigshots on Coil Wars.

5 Likes

The more you do them, the better feel you get for it. It seems like everybody does a different method of the initial stagger, but also a different method for the fusing part. Then there’s people who keep all of their tricks a secret. They don’t want more people to be able to do what they do. I’m an open book though so if you ever want to try more cores again, I can help you the best I can.

It helps to have good vision but also good lighting. I was just mentioning this on another forum but I use 2 lamps with the room light on. I’ve tried just about every magnification method there is. I don’t use any of it unless I have to. When I mess up, I can see somethings not right. That’s when I need to look closer. Besides those moments and getting my button in place, I just use my eyes.

Dwayne Rambo on YouTube gave a tip that works great. Use an old phone with a macro lens to zoom in at what you’re looking at. They make phone stands too where you can position it wherever you want. I don’t use a stand or anything but tried it to get peeks at what’s going wrong. Headsets are nice but make me hunchback if I want to see anything closely.

I took the end off of a useless BB gun scope and it works great as a spy glass type thing. To tell you the truth, I use that more than anything.

5 Likes

practice practice practice :+1: & thanx for the offer :sunglasses:

i thought about the phone thing. headsets, thats what i have. 1 eye focuses at 3", the other at 4" and off to the right. so i look like a hunchbacked bobblehead trying to see what i’m doing = not fun.

5 Likes

Nice. Make me a watch band JK

3 Likes

I use these. Started out with a mag glass but got tired of closing one eye. This works much better for me and I have a couple that I paid about 15.00 for as a set. High magnification reading glasses might help as well.

5 Likes

tht is the exact one i have.

3.5 is the highest readers i know of. 6 or 8 would be what i need and ideal

5 Likes

I cannot fathom making coils like this. It must have taken so much time.

Would a helping hands be useful? They have high magnification and can hold a couple wires.

4 Likes

Yep I have a set like that too. It was thirty bucks or so on Amazon. I’ll throw it on every once in a while but use my little scope thing more.

3 Likes

I don’t know what that is. I’ll have to look it up.

2 Likes

Silverline 282589 Heavy Duty 3x Helping Hands, 60mm

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000T9UCHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E3AR99QZ3H25DPXJ1GB4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are various magnifications and price points.

4 Likes

That is stunning! Any idea what the resistance would be? And do they have a vid on how to make it?

2 Likes

Beautiful work @INOIROC My friend who likes to spin does so because he says it relaxes him. I wish I could get into that head frame. Maybe when I retire instead of knitting or crocheting I’ll get into spinning wire :rofl: I’ve only done simple Claptons in the past and then they started selling spools of it and I quit.

2 Likes