Beginner Base Mixes

When I first started mixing I would have loved to have some basic mixes to start with that worked great. I thought it would be a cool idea to share some bases to build on for the beginning mixer, and if you have some great base mixes please share as well.

Flavorah Cookie 1% - Whipped Cream TPA 2% (or Flv Whipped cream 1%) - Vanilla Pudding 1.60% Works great with your favorite fruit combinations. You can do another version of this with Sugar Cookie V2 Cap 2% - Whipped Cream TFA 2% or Flv Whipped Cream 1% - VBIC TFA 3% …Both work great!

7 Likes

Since I don’t SFT flavors because I find them empty and bland…to help I…

Pick a fruit flavor and mix at a research in the mix percentage
Pick a second or third (better to stay with 1-2 but three is fine)
0.25% fresh cream fa
0.75% marshmallow fa

Steep for one week.
Fresh cream and malllow provides a nice vase for the fruit to blend and sit on top.

7 Likes

Fresh Cream and Mallow do work awesome together! I do things similarly but usually use my vanilla custard V1 and mix other stuff into it if a flavor is new Chris, I’ve used that custard so long and have vaped that one on it’s own with some sweetener because I just like the flavor so much

4 Likes

Interesting. Does adding the marshmallow and cream give it depth and body?

3 Likes

Is this TPA?

4 Likes

Marshmallow to me makes things taste richer… I use flv pudding to “thicken” things up and add sweetness. As a sweet vape lover I can do a lot of mixes without sweetener when using that pudding. The mallow I’m still adding sweetener with. That’s just my personal style though :wink:

4 Likes

Fa. Sorry bout that. Edited the post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Great idea but I don’t understand this statement “mix at a research in the mix percentage” could you elaborate?

4 Likes

Good point. I’ll read the flavor notes on the resources side of elr. I’ll look at the percentage used in single mixes and in recipes. Then I dig deeper. I’ll look at at least 4-6 recipes and see how people used the flavor.

The average used in a recipe may say favor X is at 4% but when I look at 4 recipes that appear to be balance I see it used at 2%. From there I will make an informed decision on how I want to use the flavor. I may go with 2, maybe 4, or split the difference and go with 3%.

All in all…outside of my initial few weeks of mixing and the few random mixes where I was intentionally doing wacky things I haven’t had to dump a mix. Adjustments yes. Stopped working on a recipe because I was bored, yes. Had to stop because I don’t taste flavors like creams the same way other people do…and custards…yup.

4 Likes

Ok, that’s what I thought. Thanks for taking the time to write it out, very much appreciated my friend. I think I will experiment with my SF’s like this. I think it advantageous for my style of mixing. Thanks for sharing bro. Because I am not very good with discerning flavors, this way of SFT will have the added benifit of recognizing my flavors. Seriously, thank you. I have been needing this in my life LOL.

I have quite a few WIP because of that.

4 Likes

So, when you (being anyone) look at averages, do you generally key on mean or median?

2 Likes

I do…however, since there are a few of those data point have extreme highs and lows I look at recipes. There are some occasions where the averages are 5 & 6 but I see a lot of recipes using only 2%.

Depending on what I am doing I may go even lower
or go up to 3%…but rarely up to 5%…when I do that I’m doing something wacky.

It’s not a perfect method and there are always exceptions. When I started mixing with lime flv I started based on a diyordie mix and it was good but way too high. Like 1% now I am down to 1-2 drops. At the higher percent lime does have a candy twist…but I can do the same thing at a lower percent and add other flavors.

4 Likes

I apologize for the confusion. I meant, do you usually look at the mean, or the median (if they are different)?

2 Likes

I scour through notes too on new flavors that way Chris and also look at how people are using them in a mix, mixers I really like and have tried their juice before. It’s amazing how easy it simplifies things. There are some I’ve had to dump because of a new flavor that tasted like crap to me, but I knew it easily because I was mixing in with flavors I’d mixed with many times before. I’ve talked to a few others that do this too like Fresh. Heck even the Noted crew had to come back to a mix because they couldn’t get it perfect, that’s just fun, and more playtime … I love figuring out a profile and some I’ve spent months on.

3 Likes

On the flavorah stuff, Tam and Simon have pretty much said a majority of those flavors don’t need to go over 1% there are a few exceptions though … I actually like Wayne’s idea of 3% Watermelon with the Double Apple (cap) but didn’t like the Wild melon because of the cantaloupe taste. I do a knuckle test with all my flavors and knew it was there but was HOPING the watermelon would overpower it, it didn’t for me so I mix that one without it now.

3 Likes

Phil I look at the flavor notes, and usually will try the medians if they aren’t crazy high, but now that they’ve added the thing where you can look at flavor’s other mixers use, I can pin down my favorite mixers look at their recipes and see what they are mixing at too that’s a GREAT feature.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the Wild Melon Michelle, I had high hopes that would help a recipe I’ve been working on since day one, taste like a bunch of melon rinds to me. As far as base mixes I really don’t have any yet, problem is I don’t care for creams / bakery / cereal vapes, I guess you could say I’m fruity! I do like to use a lot of Dragon Fruit tpa and also a little coconut Ina in most all my mixes, so maybe I should work on a base with those that I could just add some fruit into.
Thanks for getting the wheels turning :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That saves a heck of a lot of steep time doing fruits… I usually mix everything with cream LOL

2 Likes

Your post reminds me of the saying…

I thought i was sad cos i had no shoes,
Till i met a man that had no feet.

I thought i was sad cos i can’t taste strawberry till i met you that can’t taste custards (Insert empathetic emoji here).

1 Like