Best sweetner

Not a chef, but really into modernist cuisine. Got lots of friends who are chefs and even a food tech who designs food for the majors down here in Australia. Right into it for like 10 years. Love it and learnt a lot. Lots of crossover between that and this. Would not call myself a foodie because of the image. I love hearty flavourful food, super smooth sauces and glazes over slow cooked meats also a sweet tooth so like my pattisirie & bakery food. Love technical recipes requiring technique.

Yeah just wanted to know if anyone knew whatā€™s in it to do it on the cheap. Iā€™ve sourced ethyritol, sucralose and all my acids (which I had) in powders and make my own solutions. E.g, 6g sucralose from Melbourne Food Depot costs $31.65 thatā€™ll make 120ml or more. 25c a ml whereas a 50ml solution is around 35c not huge savings but good over time. He sells 6g then 160g Iā€™m sure heā€™ll do me a good deal for more then that. Either way I like to get the powders if I can and diy.

Btw for you Aussies Melbourne food Depot awesome shop full of wondrous ingredients, freeze dried vinegar is the best in making a salt a vinegar home made chip/fries keep them super crisp but still get the vinegar as an example.

Marshmallow is just vanilla sugar, itā€™s the mouthfeel that gives it the yum. Iā€™d be super interested to see what theyā€™ve used in the marshmallows out there. Extracting would not yield anything I think. Now toasted marshmallow you could maybe do a extract. Then couple that with whatever is in the marshmallow. The flavour companies will be using a synthetic for the toast effect. I have not had it so canā€™t be sure.

Youā€™ve got me all excited. This is the ultimate in flavour extraction. Rotary evaporator. Cost$$$$$$. You can boil off at precise temperatures and at lower temps because itā€™s under pressure therefore not breaking down flavinoids. So cool.
I donā€™t have one. Ahh Jeannie.

If your ever in oz Iā€™ll be happy to do you a slow cooked beef short rib with red wine glaze. Followed by a chocolate volcano pudding. Iā€™ts fā€™n awesome if I do say so myself. Mental note: post is too long.

4 Likes

Mate!! Lol fairly affordable :wink: Time to research and see how this bad boy actually works and ponder whether this is a sound investment. Cheers
Apologies ahead of time for blatant stereotyping lol

2 Likes

Ive never owned one. But that looks like its missing stuff. Canā€™t see the temp controlled bath the bulb is meant to be in. they should start at about $3000 for a small one was my understanding, and you can find good ones used on ebay but take like 3 months to clean them as you don;t know what they were doing with it ( I suppose you could ask).

D your research and see you never knowā€¦ Got any chemists? What do they think?

1 Like

There are some threads here that go pretty deep into that subject, just type stevia into the search bar, maybe this will help get you started on your question

3 Likes

Interesting read :+1::blush:

2 Likes

Something seems fishy about that article. I could be wrong but a scare article and Iā€™ve got a strong feeling itā€™s biased to the max.

1 Like

This is not pure stevia, Pyure is the brand name of this product available at wal-mart. IMO this is not sweet, but the other added ingredients do something for fruit e juice especially citrus.

1 Like

1 drop in 15 ml gives me sugar lips to the maxā€¦ maybe itā€™s just me.

1 Like

its prob just me, i find it bitter even in coffee. maybe they forgot to add the stevia into the bottle I got :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried it in coffee alsoā€¦ and thought it was bitter also.

2 Likes

As I understand Stevia if you use to much it gets bitter so perhaps thats why your coffee got that way. I have never used it in vaping but in a cup of unsweetened yogurt one drop is plenty to give it a nice sweet taste

1 Like

I was going to use it in conjunction with sugar (that I sweeten coffee with) and slowly reduce the amount of sugar I used. But it was a no go for me, due to the bitterness I was tasting. I was only using 1 or 2 drops as a partial replacement at the time.

2 Likes

Try it in citrus fruit vapes at 1 drop per +/- 15 ml and its magic, taste it on your finger its so friggin bitter. 1 drop in a cup of coffee and I went back to agave, sugar, or the flavored creamer. It just isnā€™t sweet to me. I just get the vinegar/citric acid taste. But I highly recommend it for use as a flavor enhancer in e liquid.

3 Likes