Best way to keep DIY materials?

Hello everyone​:wave:! I’m new to this elr I haven’t even made a batch yet other than mixing store bought ejuice Lol. So I just purchased my first batch of DIY e liquids I’m waiting on the shipping now. I’m already nervous on what to do as far as storing everything. Should I refrigerate my nicotine, VG, PG, and flavors? What exactly do I have to do so that it doesn’t get ruined in any way I’m not worried about how my station looks just preserving everything and keeping it at its best. Thank you so much for any help I’m greatly appreciative for this community of great people.:dash::dash:

4 Likes

GoonJuice (hehe, love that name), always better to ask before, and save a lot of hassle and possible wasted money. I can only answer for myself. I ALWAYS freeze all of my NIC. Buy in big 500ml 1L bottles, and break up into smaller amber glass (make sure they have cone caps …
https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Bottle-Phenolic-Boston-Greenals/dp/B003VEJE1I they just rock, and seal good. Breaking up the NIC into smaller bottles (and freezing) minimizes how much oxygen/light you are pushing into your NIC, oxidizing, etc. Freeze away.

I have over 300 flavors now, and just don’t have room in the NIC freezer to store them, but keep them in my mixing station, which is dark and cool. Mixed juices I let steep on a shelf, no need to fridge them as you want them to steep.

5 Likes

I also freeze my nic just as SessionDrummer described. I’ve been warned not to freeze my flavors but I keep the larger bottles and those I don’t use very often in the crisper drawer in my fridge. My veggies get eaten too quickly to sit in a drawer anyway, lol. Most flavors will be fine for a year or two in a cool dark place but will last much longer if refrigerated.

5 Likes

@GoonJuice1 another thing to consider (especially if you agree with the NIC freezing) is the base FOR your NIC. When I started out I had assumed that a high VG base for NIC would keep longer, etc. I’ve now found out that PG has a longer shelf life, AND is 100% easier for work with, than a high VG base NIC which is like mud when it’s frozen. The issue with a frozen high VG based NIC is when you take it out of the freezer to mix, you have to let it warm up, and shake the hell out of it, or you will get “hot spots” causing higher or lower NIC in your mix than you want. PG is super fluid, even when frozen (it doesn’t really freeze but…) which means you pull it out, shakey shakey, then on to the mixing.

I prefer a 70V/30P mix for my juices, and chose 100mg 100% PG NIC, and have had no issues whatsoever. I would advise to NOT scrimp and buy the cheaper NIC’s as many are peppery, oxidized, and/or really add a taste to your mixes. My personal preference is Nude Nicotine. https://www.nudenicotine.com/product/500ml-100mgml-100-pg-nicotine-base-for-mixing-only/

I chose the 100mg NIC so I would need far less of it in the mix, as opposed to a much lower mg NIC which would require much more of it in the mix. If you are new to mixing, 100mg NIC should be used VERY carefully as it is strong until you dilute it in your mixes. Some people prefer a lower (maybe safer) mg level. I don’t have kids running around in my mixing area, and only use gloves /goggles when breaking up a large bottle into smaller bottles. When I’m mixing I am very safe, but don’t wear gloves, etc. NIC is great, just be sure to be safe. NO kids or animals anywhere around it, and I ziplock ALL my NIC bottles in the freezer, so no leaks, just in case.

3 Likes

Thank you very much…that was fast! I was going to use VG/PG blend 70/30 is what I usually buy for ejuice (naked 100 berry belts 6mg nic) so I ordered 10lbs of VG 8lbs of PG and 100mg 125ml nic also several flavor concentrates and sweetener.

1 Like

I keep everything other than my 100mg nic at room temp (70-80°F) and have not had anything go bad. PG and VG are both very shelf stable, and I’ve got some 4 year old flavoring bottles that seem fine - though obviously I don’t dip into them much! I’ve kept very poor care of my nic. I’ve used Nude Nicotine and Wizard Labs bottles that will also turn 4 this year. The NN one got a little fishy at the end, but was still very vapable. The WL has been opened less, but pretty much sat undisturbed for years and still tastes as good as when it was new. That’s in the original plastic bottles, with the horribly poor sealing caps, and then double bagged in freezer zipper bags then kept in the back of a normal home freezer. I never measure with anything dirty or pour anything back into my materials containers, and I don’t get the concentrated nic out except to mix down large amounts of 15mg “working nic” that I keep on the shelf (so 100mg -> 15mg which is usually mixed to 3mg, but works if I need to make something as high as 12mg for someone else).

So with a couple precautions you can be pretty lax about storage in my experience. Nitrogen topping hermetically sealed glass in a deep freeze is not required (but seems like it would be pretty damn sweet if you are set up for it).

2 Likes

For flavors: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/flavorsworkshop/shelf_life.pdf

1 Like

The best way to keep DYI materials in my house is to hide them from my husband and relatives.

8 Likes

i have a dedicated mini fridge which holds everything except the gallons of VG i also only buy 250ml bottles of nicotine its more exoensive but this way i dont have to handle and rebottle my nicotine

3 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes, that settles it, I changed my mind, and I WILL rent that room from you…

3 Likes

Friends, wives, husbands, etc. CAN be the biggest thieves !!! Shhhhh, don’t tell mine. She’s going mental on account of all the clouds everywhere as I try and dash through the pile of RF SC’s, and then she wants me to mix her some more of her favorites up !!!

4 Likes

I did a little upgrade to my fridge added one more draw and put little handles on them makes it a lot easier to pull them out.

(excuse the debris on the floor)

14 Likes

do you have any RFSC flaves hahaha

4 Likes

Ya I think i Have one right in the back hahahaha

5 Likes

Is this personal or business?

1 Like

I mix for about 40 odd people so it is both i guess :grinning:

3 Likes

holly mother of christ … hahahahahahahah
i was thinking that i was terrible… with a closet and a big big big locker… but you’re worse than me… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

since this is a topic about diy materials, i would like to ask if any of reuse the bottle for a new ejuice, if you have, how do u get rid of the smell of the previous juice in that bottle?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Thnx a lot for pointing the topic out for me…appreciate it…

3 Likes