Big batches (120/240ml) are harsh compared to 30ml

The vortex is pulling in air from the open top. This adds Oxygen to the mix at close to the right ratio as what is needed for the mix, Since, most of the time the stir plate runs and mixes for 4-6 hours straight it does in fact mix all ingredients. They use these to help culture yeast for brewing. They also can introduce less heat. Where as a blender due to really high speeds/RPM’s if used for more than a couple minutes straight could introduce to much heat and cause NIC to give off a peppery flavor. Where as a heated stir plate can use a thermometer and keep it at a certain temp. which at about 98F VG thins and that is not hot enough to change the NIC. and if any of the Flavorings have alcohol it will help to evaporate the alcohol off of them.

This sounds scientific. What are you basing the statement on?

2 Likes

I cut the end of a milk frother off of a battery powered unit that the motor went bad in. Then I chucked it up on my high speed rotary tool. It will turn e-liquid into foam in under 30 seconds.

1 Like

Hmmm. Adding oxygen isn’t what you want do I would think. I’m not all that science’ie. Lol. But that would mean allowing for an increase of the rate of chemical reactions with the protons and electrons to breaking down chemicals faster. This would include nic degradation and blah blah blah. That’s many say to only “breath” a mix if flavorings are alcohol based ect…not to help the steep/aging process.

But I am not bill nye the science guy or anything here.

I have seen the magnetic stirrer vid and have plans to make. I like the idea of super-complete stirring without aeration. Also it’s all done in glass, the metal rod that spins in your juice is Teflon coated and cheap (link to buy on Amazon is on the vid I think) …all of which seems most adherent to lab specs. It also seems least wasteful (juice that remains on other stirrers?) and least likely to cross-contaminate the next batch. Ultrasonic cleanup of your gear would take seconds.

I also like Dan_the_Man’s wire whisk. Most likely I’ll take some stiff Ti wire and make a whisk that would work right in the bottle …just make a 3/4" long spaced coil on a 1/4 drill with a 8" tail …low speed on my Dremel

If your juice has a peppery taste, it may be the nicotine. Lightly shake nicotine before use, store nic in frig. IMO

Well I made my little wire whipper. Stiff 24 gauge Titanium wire. I used a 5/32" drill bit (4mm) so it can still fit into smaller 15ml bottles. 5-6 wraps spaced so the coil was about 5/8" long. I bent the tail at the coil so it was centered (hey this thing needs to be balanced while spinning. I tucked the cut point back inwards at the end of the coil, so no sharp/pokey parts. To terminate the opposite end (tail) I made a small diamond shape to fit in the Dremel chuck (slit).

The Dremel idea turned out badly. On the slowest speed it was too fast and started twisting the wire! …so regular drill on high speed, works perfect. My flat diamond shape was easily (again) centered in the drill chuck. Standing next to a hot ultrasonic I can mix, then quickly dunk/spin/clean my stirrer within seconds and go on to the next flavor.

At first I could NOT tell it was even mixing! Zero aeration! …but when I manually shook the bottle of juice and it was aerated (lots of tiny bubbles) I could better see what was really happening stir-wise when I put my stirrer back in. Looks good to me … when taking it out of the bottle very little juice stays on the wire, so cleans in seconds, and very little waste. I think I can see the logic of not purposefully adding as much oxygen as possible, and instead adding as little as possible. My final step was always degassing my shaken vapes to eliminate the juice’s air bubbles in the ultrasonic… no longer necessary.

2 Likes

Picture please. the one i made aerates my juice way to much.

this coil is 3/4" and the overall length is 7 1/2" it will whip air in if you unsubmerge it half way. A 3/4" coil allows you to do half full 30 ml bottles without “frothing”

1 Like

Here is the best stirrer I’ve ever used and most people already have what it takes to make. I actually have 3 different sizes. this is the largest one. the medium has three lobes is made from a smaller unit and is great for 240 and 120 ml bottles.
All you need are some zip ties. take two or three and thread them all the way down till you have a very small loop or knot at the end
then ziptie them together with two more zip ties. One right above the loops one or more farther up the shaft,

cut the those off as close as you can or leave a very short nub to help stir. Make sure you keep them as even as possible Use a battery operated variable speed drill and stir to your hearts content. be careful of how fast you got and make sure your loops aren’t touching the bottle on both sides you could wear a hole in it.

If you are mixing by measurement a few things that have helped me to get a more accurate measurement. Never mix less than a full ML in a syringe larger than a 1ml syringe. Pull a little air into the syringe before you pull flavorings into it it’s easier to hold it up and see exactly where the liquid level is. Measure flavors into a small beaker, knowing that the total amount in the beaker equals the total amount you are supposed to have gives you a safeguard that you have measured correctly and not missed or doubled up on any. DO NOT MEASURE MORE THAN ONE MIX AT A TIME. Seems silly to say that but I got cocky one day and was doing two at the same time, needless to say I came up with two new flavors that were neither very good and I know I must have made a serious boo boo somewhere. I also do a premix of VG and nicotine, most of my mixes are very near the same amount of flavoring and I mix my premix or base mix so that the max I’ll get in the end is 2.75, I call it 3 only because it’s easier to say and it allows a little room for error. Don’t mix where there are distractions.

I know some of the things I listed may seem silly but some people just don’t think about it or think I’d never do that. I did a lot of customer service and management in my career, I learned with time to make everything as (please excuse the term and by no means take it personal) idiot proof as possible.

1 Like

Agreed. Developing a foolproof process is critical (said the Fool). I shake and uncap all my flavors and put them in a row with caps behind. I use “Print Image” in the “ejuice me up” calculator and layout/mix flavors, in order as they are listed on the printed out sheet.

I have been mixing by weight for some time now and you just can’t get more accurate than that. My mixes come out consistent time after time. Way back when I used syringes, my mixes were always just a little bit off. Plus, having to wash all those syringes from flavor to flavor and the all the extra time it took to measure out that way just got old. Mixing by weight is the only way to go!

I have enough syringes to do two flavors before I have to wash them. I usually put them in the UC after I finish with the juice and run a short cycle on them. then I’ve got a couple of bottles that I have skewers standing it and paper towels in the bottom. I put the syringes over the skewers and set the plungers in the bottle to dry unless I am mixing more and need to dry them. I’d like to start doing my mix by weight, but can’t afford the scale I want so I’ll bide my time. My juices are pretty darn consistant as I am extremely careful and sorta OCD about the measurements.

$23 with free Prime shipping. 0.01g accuracy and comes with a plugin cord (no auto shutoff) or battery operated.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-LB-501-Digital/dp/B005UGBG20?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

2 Likes

All great advice. I’ve started mixing by weight. I’m really enjoying the lack of clean up, and how much time it’s saving me. Also got one of those cheap $5 mixers off amazon, it works great. When your flavors come in dropper tops it’s a big pain in the ass to use syringes to mix by volume and since not all droppers are the same you can’t be accurate. Taking off the dropper caps is alone a bitch, but then some flavors like Capella you can’t at all. It’s a no brainier unless you can get all the flavors you want from wizard labs which for me is not the case. BCV carries so many more vendors.

2 Likes

is this problem solved yet??
is it not harsh anymore since you mix by weight?
what’s the solution to this?