Blending Flavors

I’m trying to blend in a pre-made Vanilla Custard (CAP) into a pre-made Tabacco Black Honey (TFA) what % or weight would be a good starting point? I was thinking like 80% Tabacco and 20% Vanilla Custard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

2 Likes

If you like a heavy tobacco with a creamy note, go heavy on the tobacco. If you like a thick custard with notes of tobacco, go heavy on the custard. There’s no right or wrong, it all depends on your taste. But unless you have your single flavor tests done, you have no idea of the strength of your flavors…

Some flavors are extremely potent and others not at all. You can only find out what the working range for a flavor is by testing them solo. Based on your tests, you should have a fairly good idea at what % you can blend them together.

If you have no idea how to start, look at flavor notes (wherever you find them) for the median usage for those flavors. Start at about half of the % of the median usage and take small steps, increasing the flavor until it starts to be unpleasant (too strong, off notes, muting, … whatever the signal is that you’re pushing it too far). If half the % of median usage already gives you strong flavor, it means you can go even lower. It is always good to know how low you can go when you want to use a flavor as a back note.
Make detailed notes along the way. After testing many flavors, you need something to come back to. After trying many flavors in DIY (and nearly everyone does), you can’t remember all the details of every flavor. Notes are very important.

5 Likes

Try this one, I find it very pleasant.

3 Likes

So these are premade juices that are ready to vape and you want to mix them together? If so then you can do it however you want, but if you use an rta or tank then I would suggest doing it by the tankful until you find a rough ratio you like, and then mixing them into one bottle once you have an idea where you want it to be.

4 Likes

All great advice and thanks for the example recipe!. I do want the all ready made flavors to be heavy towards the Tabacco side of it. You would think it would be an easy thing to do but it’s good to get the opinion of people with more experience. Doing just one tank full will work for me and since the median is 50 it’s a 75/25% which works aswell. Both ready made recipes could use more steeping but I’m not the patient type of person😝.

Thank You.

3 Likes

Make sure you shake your tank well after putting both in there!

4 Likes

Yes itll be mixed well I use pre-made coils in Smok TFV 12 Prince tank (X-PRIV MOD) and the X6 coils not the best for flavor but the coils are built like a tank and last me a month. I have 2 of those tanks and a Aspire Dynamo model with the Nepho tank that produces great flavor. Yea I know it’s not an RDA, RTA or a RTDA but in time I might choose one rebuildable unit that’s easy to work with. I lose a bit on flavor obviously with what I have but it should explain why I’m making higher concentrations with my DIY juice amounts. Emptying the tank is easy to do I’ve got syringes and needles that fit down to the bottom of the tank.

Thanks again Fishaddict420 for the advice

3 Likes

Sorry @Mally1, I should have read your original post properly, then I would have realised that you had premade juice and were wanting to blend them.
Thanks to @Fishaddict420 for pointing that out :grinning:

5 Likes

Okay so you made a

and a

How much of each flavor did you mix as a solo? How long have they been steeping?
Have you taken any notes on what they taste like, and are you satisfied with them as solos? :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ll try keep this post short and not to confusing for everyone I’ve got 3 pre-made tobacco’s steeping for 10 days now.

RY4 Super Concentrated at 4% Its nice but the hints of Vanilla and Caramel haven’t come through yet.

The Black Honey is a 7% TFA mixed with 1% RY4 Super Concentrate.

I’ve got 2 simple Vanilla Custards Recipes that have been steeping for only 5 days now I’m going with the CAP Vanilla Custard mixed at 7% just because it’s a one flavored recipe. I’d like to bring the 2 flavors together now but imo just because they’re both still steeping its probably wise to wait another few days atleast. I’m laughing at myself because itll be 2 days max and I’ll mix a 10ml to try even though another week of steeping would be best. So that’s where I sit at this point and time I’ll get Graham Cracker eventually along with other Vanilla Custard ingredients to fine tune my recipes but for the meantime I can add Vanilla or Caramel (Coconut I’ve seen a few recipes with that flavor added) because I have those single flavors on hand.
Yes I’m very happy so far with all my flavors but very grateful for the members in this amazing Forum.
So I guess that leaves me with another question if I do want to add Vanilla, Caramel or Coconut into the Tabacco Vanilla Custard what amounts would you folks suggest? My flavors % are the 7-15% variety.
Thanks
Mally😎

1 Like

@anon28032772 hit on that. Every answer you get will likely be different, because different folks have different strokes. Only one who knows the “correct” answer is you. Time, trial and error, and experience is the only way you’ll get anything more than general guidelines on the intertubes because you really do have to learn what you like for yourself, %-wise.

4 Likes

Tedious but useful since after combining the flavors another steep will change them up quite a bit. Do 10-15 testers of varying ratios mixed. For example 50/50 & 70/30 & 90/10. Vape a tank of each now and save the rest of the mixes for trying at least 2 weeks later. If you do 15ml you can test now, at 2w, and 4w.

3 Likes

ok 2 bottles of 7% vanilla custard …

You are talking about these:

Note: once you “bring the 2 together…” you will need to steep again… how long? As long as it takes… could be a week to a month, till they are merged… shake well every day.

that sounds good… :+1:

I don’t mix with the flavors you are mixing now… I used to… I say solo taste test them all and find out where you enjoy them. Not what is here on elr… but using your own tongue, start low and work up… then you will know how much without having to ask anyone else what they like…
(otherwise be prepared for a large usage range… take notes!! ) <edit… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve definitely have a lot of sampling material and just added 2 new flavors NY Cheesecake (CAP) and a Cherry Concentrate (Inwera) both single recipes on there own. The Cherry already seems harsh at 2.5% flavor strength and the Cheesecake weak at 4.5% I’m hoping I can adjust them later on. As for the Vanilla Custard mixes I can wait it out a few more days before testing the mixture upon researching information it’s convinced me that a more stable liquid will be easier to adjust over one that’s not ready. I’m enjoying my fruity mixes and even they have changed slightly in an enjoyable direction. I’ll definitely keep the post current and share my results with the group.
Thanks again everyone!
Mally :sunglasses:.

3 Likes

Just for what it’s worth, Ina Cherry is generally regarded as “problematic”. For a few different reasons (you can find out more by searching these forums, or googling…)

Ina Cherries usually receives a much happier reception. (Personally, it’s the best cherry flavor I’ve used to date. But please note, it’s very potent, so start low in your testing!)

Though similarly named, the experience is quite different.

2 Likes

I did a search on the Cherry (Inwera) I picked it because of all the reviews and they were all correct I intended to use it in Tabacco, Cheesecake and even the Custards that I am creating. That being said its explained as being a finicky flavor that takes a few tries to get the desired flavor out of it. Its definitely the right choice even though just a light taste of the mixed flavor reviled the cough syrup some have mentioned it calmed down also revealing the true taste you’d find in Cherry pie or Cherry Cheesecake flavoring. Its heavy at 2.5% but as a mixer into other flavors I hope it works! Its definitely a starting point for me and can only get better from here I hope.
Thanks🙃

2 Likes

Well did some sampling today and mixed up a diluter😜. I haven’t added any to any of my mixtures just yet but my overall taste test revealed that I’m a bit rich on flavor. Good thing they are mostly single recipes and not totally over done. I mix at 60-40 VG/PG and a 4% nicotine strength that is diluted in PG.

I guess my question would be does diluting the mixture have any variance or difference (flavor wise) from a mixture made at lower percentages or correctly in the beginning. ?
Would adding concentrated flavorings to a weaker solution set the steeping time back to the beginning?

2 Likes

The one thing I notice on ultra flavors, is once you have the recipe set, it locks in. Diluting does weaken the flavoring… however I find it better to start lower and then work up.

In every flavor manufacture, yes to some degree. Using the standard flavors like: lo, tfa, cap, wf, fa… if you have to use more than 2% of one flavor, or the higher the total flavor, it takes longer to steep. With ultras, you have a small window… normally 3-5 days… maybe 7… but then they only get better after that.

Hope this answers a bit… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea that’s sorta what I was thinking but it’s nice getting the advice of an expert on the topics. It’s a big learning curve from my perspective but hopefully I’ll get the hang of it sooner than later!
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Things are coming along pretty well my mixtures luckily are simple and easy to manage and mix together. The Vanilla Custard is nice but the Cheesecake is better than I expected it to be. The initial Custard blending really gave me a good flavor with my Tabacco flavors. The Cheesecake I blended into a Ripe Strawberry flavor and it’s the best I’ve ever tried.
Thanks everyone for your advice and helpful tips and suggestions once again!
Mally :sunglasses:

4 Likes