Brass cleaner

Ah okay. I think I saw something like you’re describing on YouTube.

2 Likes

Here it is in actual use

I’d be shocked if someone else hasn’t come out with something like this. It’s perfect for refinishing at home with almost no gear.

4 Likes

There have been a few out. they work pretty well.

https://vapordna.com/products/vandy-vape-polishing-rig

EDIT: FYI these types will not fit into rotary tool chucks. The posts are wider.

3 Likes

That’s excellent. I’m glad to see really affordable options available.

I need to figure out how to brush my whole hbo. Probably screwing a random 510 into the button area, but that leaves me out of a unified button too. That’s the only bummer, since it was brushed as one piece. The piccoloid has a polished button and looks nice so I’ll probably end up doing that.

I’d also love to find a Way of doing non round things like the custom classic. Probably something with limping up the sandpaper or something. I just haven’t worked it out yet, so I polish with the sunshine and then brush with a grey pad.

3 Likes

Not sure what the hbo is. Do you have a pic? Curious to see what you mean.

3 Likes

Sorry it was an autocorrection for hnp.

It’s a matched mod and tank, brushed all at once creating an almost perfectly seamless look. With these kits the best I can do is brush everything but the switch.

If I remove the button the bottom screw would work if I custom made something probably, but unfortunately it’s bigger than a 510

Here’s what it looks like, in real life the joins are far less noticeable, I think whomever photographed this cranked up the contrast. But anyway it’s all one brush.

I’m also really curious about “fixing” a brass mod I have, no matter how I polish it there’s a slight variance that was created by the previous owner. I’ll upload a pic in a few mins.

4 Likes

Ok so I’m terms of polishing brass, it’s really hard to see this in a photo because it’s so shiny but the three parts are somewhat different with one being very obviously different. If I used one of the above kits would it blend them all together better?

Also in the vapourart demo for the pub they’re holding a rubber Matt and there’s some polishing compound. What would I get for polishing compound?

I need to sand this first as there are also some grooves placed by a previous owner and a small nick, but I would like to fully refinish this mod. It’s really cool with the floating magnetic switch and quite pocket safe.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Nice looking kit. I’m sure you will come up with something for the button. :+1:

3 Likes

I use these pads/cloths that have the compound already on them. Makes it much easier and cleaner for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Polish-8828-Polishing/dp/B0102K3NLU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=cape%2Bcod%2Bmetal%2Bpolish&qid=1623769932&sr=8-5&th=1

3 Likes

Ah cape cod, good idea. After starting with sunshine cloths i haven’t bought that for a while. Slipped my mind!

2 Likes

I know, not very helpful for the task at hand but I’ve got a good trick to clean silver:
2 layers of aluminiiiiium foil in your sink, warm water and a good handful of table salt. Put your silver in there and let is sit for a while. Then dry and polish with a cloth. Easy peasy.

4 Likes

Well I also need to figure out the best way to get corrosion off steel. I have a bit of a bind - a literal bind that I need to solve. The threading isn’t long enough for a counter not to work it loose… so … yah

2 Likes

can i get more info on that ? is the aluminum made into a container or what ?

2 Likes

more info please

2 Likes

i have one of those. what do your mean by rotary chucks ?

3 Likes

You can even wrap silver stuff into aluminium foil but you have to make sure that the salt water can reach it and flow freely between the silver and the foil. Some people even boil the water, we always just used hot water. The black stuff comes off the silver and sticks to the foil.

2 Likes

Rotary tool chucks are smaller so most of them won’t be able to fit these adapters.

2 Likes

gotcha, thanx. i have some old jewelry i would like to clean.

3 Likes

your talking a demel etc ? yeah, will not fit those.

3 Likes

Yep exactly.

2 Likes