Bulk Apothecary VG

Hey All

I switched from VapersTek VG to Bulk Apothecary VG a couple of months ago to save some money. Through 5 or 6 batches I started to notice that my coil life was being shortened by a good 4 or 5 days. The only change I had made was switching VG vendors. After researching a little further I found out that the BA VG is soy based, while VT VG is palm based. Anyone have similar experiences or insight?

4 Likes

@brookellis THOSE are some compelling results for sure. I never use anything but palm based, so I cannot comment on the soy based, just didn’t sound like a good idea.

4 Likes

Interesting observation.
Subbed to see how things progress.

3 Likes

Palm and Soy is bad for the Enviroment. Prove me wrong

2 Likes

You’re not wrong @anon44012888. They’re both bad for the environment, whether directly or through processing. Coconut derived included. Coconut obviously being the best for environment of the 3.

2 Likes

Mixed a couple test batches. I’ll post results in about a week!

3 Likes

This is interesting, I recently had one of my customers tell me that the liquid I make seems to clog their coils a little bit faster than store bought does. They said they don’t mind because of the savings but it got me thinking. My first thought was the vg. I use several different vendors, but always palm. So I was thinking maybe the commercial juice companies are using soy because I’m thinking it would be easier to source in larger quantities? BUT this seems to be the opposite from what you’re experiencing. So…I don’t know! But I’m definitely interested in what you find out after doing some testing. I’m curious to see what others have experienced with soy vs. palm.

3 Likes

idk as far as coil life is concerned, but I have been buying Bulk Apothecary VG for a while now, and when I inquired about this BA confirmed they sell whatever their supplier currently has in stock, so with Bulk Apothecary it is always best to ask before buying. You could get either.

I have bought both kinds of VG from them, and didn’t notice any difference in taste/coil life, but I do like to rewick my coils every few days…

3 Likes

My VG is rapeseed derived.

3 Likes

@Ths1MxrChk It’s really interesting that you’re experiencing the opposite, assuming commercial ejuice companies are using soy derived vg.

@obijuan I found out the same from bulk apothecary. It’s apparently all dependent on what they’re able to stock from their supplier. Good to know that you haven’t experienced any differences between the two.

I’ve been contacting all of my vendors past and present. The more I dig, the more discrepancies I keep finding. Apparently BA isn’t the only vendor who switches between both palm and soy. I talked to a few vendors who sell whatever they’re able to get. Not only that, there are a few who don’t update their website, send emails, or label invoices with the correct information to reflect which type of product they’re currently selling. It more often than not remains “palm based” regardless of current inventory. I also think it may not have as much to do with the base derivative as it does the contaminants that make up the .3%. It’s all the same chemical makeup, but different contaminants may be introduced by different suppliers during processing.

2 Likes

It is fairly easy to tell the difference if you have it in a white container or put it against a white background with pure white light - soy, rapeseed derived VG has a natural pale green tint, instead of the pale blue tint that palm derived VG has.

10 Likes

Although I appreciate the info, It’s not really about being able to tell the difference between the two. It’s a question of whether one performs better than the other. All previously mentioned variables considered.

4 Likes

More for people to be able to tell which they have and be able to provide feedback

6 Likes