Burley substitute

Hey all. I’ve only been DIYing for a couple of weeks. A little advice please. I have a recipe for a Caramel Vanilla Tobacco. It uses Burley. I have all other ingredients, don’t have Burley. Will a RY4 do as a substitute, or should I bite the bullet and order Burley. I’m a little impatient and want to make it NOW, lol. Cheers :wink:

1 Like

If you found the recipe on ELR try using this this formula

Recipe Flavor % divided by Recipe flavor (Mix Median %) = (Y) multiply by (Mix Median%) of Substitute Flavor = % of Substitute Flavor used in recipe…

To find the mix median % right click on the flavor in the recipe and it will open that flavor’s page there you will find the mix median % for the flavor if it’s used in a recipe with multiple flavors on the left said of the page and on the right you will see the mix median % if the flavor is use as a single flavor. This is only a starting point you may have to tweak the flavor more or less %. But the formula will give you a starting baseline for the substitute flavor.
Hope this helps…

2 Likes

I am going to assume you want to make a synth recipie, not a true tobacco NET, so I will offer the following suggestions. Of course I am not an expert synth mixologisist, so many others here on the forum that are far more expert than I on synth mixing will have other comments, but with that said:

I suggest you try FLAVORAH rather good synth Burley imitation, Here is my Tasting Notes on that:

FLAVORAH - Red Burley
Somewhat Dry , an almond like nutty smoky body with predominate overtones of sweet molasses There are some vanilla top notes and an overall very smooth character. This is a reasonable synth imitation of a real Burley, but not isolated enough to use as a Blender component. It would work well as part of a sweet cigarette recipe, and also might make an occasional ADV on its own.
Relevance to Unified Tobacco base profile (scale 0-10) : 5

Additionally, you might want to consider bending your synth profile on any pseudo tobacco recipes by adding very small amounts of Tobacco Absolute. The exact one is not critical as they are all basically the same for your purposes, as long as it is a real Absoulute.

Here is some inexpensive ones (pre-diluted from real Absolute Paste) by INAWERA.

INW Tobacco Absolute Virginia
INW Tobacco Absolute Garuda
INW Tobacco Absolute Cuban Cigar,
INW Tobacco Absolute Oriental

FYI, RY4s in all their many forms and offerings by dozens of manufacturers are not “tobacco” in any sense. here is a comment by @ChemicalBurnVictim that pretty well sums it up:

I think the tobacco and NET crowd should definitely join our forces together and raise a ruckus over the people that call RY4s “tobaccos” though. That’s a war I would gladly fight and lose haha.

-:grin:

4 Likes

Thanks Kammie. Recipe isn’t on here. I got it from Youtube. I’ve created the recipe here but of course that didn’t help me find a substitute. I know RY4 already has caramel and vanilla, so maybe I’ll try the recipe but cut back a little on the sweetness. Cheers

1 Like

Haha. Fair enough. The recipe suggests using Burley from Delosi. I’ve tried quite a few RY4s from different sources and some are just horrible, but some are really nice. Obviously won’t be any good in this recipe. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!

1 Like

I’m not a tobacco expert, but I do have both of these flavors and I don’t feel they are similar at all. It’ll be an entirely different recipe.

6 Likes

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. I will wait for the real thing.

3 Likes

You might want to consider which Burly might be better. The Red Burley FLV is rated higher with a lot of satisfied users in comparison to the Burley Delosi… You might be able to make a better version with the FLV brand.

4 Likes

Good call. I’ll go with the FLV. Thanks again.

2 Likes

What’s the recipe? There’s not really a whole lot of places where FLV Red Burley would be bad, but depending on the recipe and what you’re hoping it will taste like, there might be a better option.

I’d like to know that too!
Burley is going to be very different than any RY4, BUT if you have an RY4 that you really like I bet it would still taste good, just different. I’m guessing you will need to go higher with the RY4 than the Burley. Then again, I’d need to see the recipe to have a better idea. :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to agree. A lot of mixers do like RY4 and don’t really use it for it’s tobacco aspects… especially TPA RY4 Double and Hangsen RY4.

1 Like

Here is the link to my adapted version of this recipe. Original is from DIY Vapor Youtube video.
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2619118/Vanilla%20Caramel%20Tobacco

You have to share the private link or else we can’t see it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, still trying to know my way around. Try this:

1 Like

When you start typing the flavor name does a drop down menu pop up with flavors to choose from? You’ll want to find the flavor from that list with the vendor name in order for that recipe to make sense. It will also help you find other recipes you can make with the flavors you have because you can click on the flavors and see the flavor notes and other recipes that use them.

Just FYI. And if there happens to be a couple different entries for the flavor and manufacturer you’re using, pick the one with the most recipes. That’s the number that is next to the flavor name.

2 Likes

Ah gotcha. This one was just for my personal use so I didn’t worry too much.
This site is awesome. Going to help me so much, I’m getting right into this DYI thing. I’ve got a new hobby. Gave up smoking thanks to vaping 4 weeks ago now.
Thanks very much for your help CBV :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats on kicking the addiction and picking up a hobby! If you have any questions that you think I might have an answer to, feel free to hit me up!

3 Likes

That goes the entire ELR Family!

4 Likes

Thank you. I probably will.

1 Like