Calling All Custard Aficionados: Your assistance is requested

Brand new to DIY, and out of the dozen recipes I’ve attempted, the only one I’ve truly enjoyed has been a custard recipe. In face I’d say I’ve recently discovered I’m a custard addict. No intention of twelve stepping it though. I’ve tried a couple of different custard recipes, but find that thick custard flavor at the end is so far off in the background it just leaves me wishing it was more front and center. I’m looking for sweet, thick, eggy and creamy, and did I mention sweet. I’m tired of subtlety. Do any of you custard aficionados have any recipe suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated, as I seem to have become obsessed with trying to get there. Please and Thank You!

3 Likes

You need @Ken_O_Where

7 Likes

Do you want fruits with your custards?

I would suggest that you look at Ken’s custards

Edit @Josephine_van_Rijn quick on the trigger lol

9 Likes

I’m surprised my brain is working since I barely slept. I’m never awake at this ungodly early morning hour.

4 Likes

Just to add to that maybe @Ken_O_Where would make Creme Patissiere public.

Lmao Jose it is nearly 8 am

7 Likes

I know, that’s what I call early. I only slept from 1 to about 3 :tired_face:

4 Likes

@RyanLamp Which recipes have you tried so far petal?

3 Likes

Hehe, welcome to the PARTY !!!

@Ken_O_Where can surely help…

5 Likes

I made this… You might like it, requires a long steep at least 2 weeks

7 Likes

I don’t think any custard flavor concentrate is sweet enough for you on its own, since you mentioned sweet twice. Capella vanilla custard v1 is thick and rich and creamy, but has a month steep time to really reach its true potential. My personal favorite is inawera custard, it has the eggy-ness that cap lacks, and if I’m in a pinch for custard it tastes good at a week steep. Here is my current favorite custard, it has subtleties but not in the custard flavor, it’s custard up front with other flavors in the background.

3 Likes

And if you want super simple, 3% INW custard and a dash of whatever cream you got, I would go cap sweet cream at 1-2%, give it a week and sweetener to taste, bout as simple as I can think of lol

2 Likes

Which one? There are so many of those, hehe. Unfortunately they almost all include Black Label French Van and i dont see it on the RF site anymore.

Im to the point with custards that i just keep making them different each time. So many combinations, so many possibilities.

A couple things that i like to use in my custards for a better mouth feel are Cheesecake LA and Taffy Base RFSC. Used at low %s they add a nice dense feeling that falls short in a lot of new custard flavorings.

This turned out quite good and you could replace the Black Label FV with French Vanilla Deluxe TPA @ .5-.75%.

Hyperborea

0.25% Black Label French Vanilla (SC) (Real Flavors)
0.25% Butter Cream (CAP)
0.25% Caramel (Flavorah)
0.50% Creme Brulee (INAWERA)
1.00% Custard (INAWERA)
0.25% Taffy Base (SC) (Real Flavors)

Flavor total: 2.5%

Here is one from @woftam that is Yumtastic!

I hope something i wrote helps.

6 Likes

INW creme brûlée adds wonderful-ness to almost any custard recipe lol

2 Likes

It does and it is a wonderful flavor all on its own but mixed with some other custards and MMMMMmmMMMMM! I know i bought it for a particular mix but by the time it arrived i had already forgotten. :confused:

4 Likes

I originally bought it for custard mixes but I have been vaping it stand-alone or with a touch of sweet cream, I kinda want to try it with fruit but I worry the burnt sugar will get trampled by fruits, it’s kind of a delicate flavor

2 Likes

Yeah, i agree. Creams, custards and light cookie seems to work well. Thats alright tho, there are some flavorings that are darn near perfect on their own.

1 Like

Both of these keep my friends coming back regularly. I have vaped them daily for many months.

6 Likes

Thanks a bunch to everyone for the Custard recipes and suggestions. I just adapted a custard recipe to include some new flavors I received in the mail today, however, I have almost no experience with making my own recipes, so I’d like a little input if possible. It ended up with a flavor total of 27%, which seems way too high for a recipe, with the flavors possibly ending up just muting each other. I don’t know, as I said, I don’t really have any experience, so I’m not sure what will and will not work. I mixed up 30ml to see what it’s like in a week or two, but I may have just made something I’ll be using to lubricate my garbage disposal. Comments, suggestions?

2 Likes

@RyanLamp ya 27% is a bit on the high side. A couple of tips for you that make help you out a little. Ignore if you have already done them.

• Single Flavour mixes will help you out a lot.
  • Start walking before running you are imo adding way to many flavours (ie too complex) start with a simpler mix with 2-3 flavours it will make balancing it a lot easier for you. I get what you are trying to do here supporting flavours with other flavours but way too many.

Stevia at 2% would be so sweet you may not be able to taste anything but sweet .25 -.5% generally is more than enough.

Now I am totally not sure that this recipe would work or not but i would suggest you start off a little slower with something along the lines of

Wild Blueberry Custard Pie

Ingredient %
Blueberry Extra (TPA) 2.00
Blueberry Wild (TPA) 3.00
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) .25
New York Cheesecake (CAP) 3.00
Vanilla Custard (TPA) 2.5

Now I have gone fairly low on everything so you may want to boost them up as you see fit I am just using this as an example.

4 Likes

Thanks a ton woftam. Very helpful, and thanks for the recipe suggestion. Will mix that up in a moment. I really need a time delayed safe. I can’t seem to stay out of my mixes long enough for them to property steep, which is why I’m trying to mix as much stuff as possible, so some of it might have a chance to live a full prosperous life. Do you think I could salvage the over flavored mess I made by maybe using it as a flavor shot for say a 60 ml or more batch by just adding more base liquids? I’m really looking for that thick creamy mouth feel.

2 Likes