Calling all PG-free mixers!

I’ve been mixing Max VG for a couple months. I don’t have a PG sensitivity, just exploring alternatives. I currently add 4% Distilled Water and 1% 100 Proof Vodka (50% Ethyl Alcohol) for thinning. My juice is used mostly in tanks and RDTAs and has a good viscosity for my application. I still use PG-based flavors.

4 Likes

Have you ever used acetone to thin your liquids?

That’s a new one… is existing topic?

Just messing around. Pardon me

1 Like

From TFA SPEC SHEETS & COMPONENTS list:

TFA PG Free
Absinthe Flavor
Black Tea Flavor**
Cinnamon Flavor **
Cinnamon Red Hot Flavor**
Cola Syrup Flavor**
Cranberry Flavor**
Hpno Type Flavor **
Vanilla (Bourbon) Flavor**
Waffle Flavor **
Blue Raspberry Flavor **
Blueberry Candy Flavor (Triacetin)
Cranberry Flavor**
Dr. Pop Flavor

TFA Low PG 39% (Max)
Cherry Extract Flavor** 35% Max
Gingerbread Flavor ** 39% Max
Lemon Lime Flavor** 33% Max
White Chocolate Flavor 23% Max

3 Likes

PG makes me breath heavy and raspy. I cant breath well with PG blends.

Anyone with PG allergies ever try PEG400 and have it be OK? Not sure what the real difference is.

1 Like

It’s a sensitivity not a allergy :wink:

Peg400 is for the other “oils” we don’t speak about…here lol

It won’t work with regular eliquid, as short answer.

However there’s apparently a liquid out there, that steeps faster, gives higher flavor and can be used like pg, but isn’t pg. I think chemovatic sells it? I will look into it, only heard about it couple months ago and forgot all about it lol.

2 Likes

PDO is what I could find on the Chemnovatic site. Is this what you are referring to?

I remember ppl blaming PDO for flavor fade on the RFSC threads. This is 1,2 propanediol, and I think Walt was using 1,3 propanediol. Oddly, when I googled 1,2 peopanediol wikipedia says is another name for PG!

Hmmm.

2 Likes

I can’t remember but I’ve it book marked at home. All I heard was, it’s not pg, it “steeps” your juices faster, sold in Europe and better flavor carrier.

Too me it sounded so stupid that I didn’t look further into it. You know like when someone says go on the roof your juice steeps faster, all you think off is : yeah right!

But I’ll post the link tonight if I can find it. Sorry for not being much more help atm.

1 Like

That is funny! I’d ignore that bit as well. An alternative to PG that works is of interest, though!

They say “Allergy free: dedicated for people with allergies or sensitive to pertroleum-based substances”

umm, it always annoys me when things are marketed as “allegen free” cos there’s no such thing . Whatever the substance , you can probably find somebody somewhere in the world who’s allergic to it! That said, , I’ve nothing against this partuicular manafacturer, on that count. They all do it!

More annoyingly, the stuff is made out of unspecified “vegetables”, as they very clearly and e4xplicitly assume that PG senstivity is due to the petrochemical origin. So who would care what vegetables they use, eh?

Good grief! That is one huge- and quite possibly false- assumption.

This post triggered a little burst of research on my part into how these various PG -related sunstances are made (so thanks for that!) And I fouund out that, increasingly often they are made from corn…and that includes PG itself! You certainly can’t assume a pertrochemical origin for PG. And that might be the real problem

I found speculation from some PG-allergy sufferers who happened to also be sensitive to corn that these two . seeminly different sensitivities are just two faces of the same thing, at least in their case. That gives me pause for thought I’m also sensitive to both PG and corn. And I’m wondering how many others ? Corn sensitivity is pretty damned hard to uncover, because corn is added to almost every damned thing, and doesn’tt always appear on the label. You might pick up on the fact that you’re having bad reactions to a whole host of processed foods, cosmetics, medicines etc, but tracking down the culprit is insanely difficult, especially if you’ve never even heard of corn sensitivity. (which is the exact boat I was in, a few years back , when my corn troubles started)

I’m now wndering if I can safely vape PG which actually does come from petrochemical sources? But who the heck ever tells you what they’ve made their PG out of? That’s a million miles from being a labelling requirement. So I’ll just have to go on wonderng, I guess .

2 Likes

I would think the official scientific explanation would tell us that 1-2 propandiol (which is PG) is that chemical and nothing more regardless of the source material the end result, chemically speaking, is the same. I do not trust science or the FDA however :laughing:

2 Likes

Agreed :slight_smile: there’s always something that “science” never thought to take into account . And when most research “scientists” are in the pay of Big Industry , you can multiply that factor one hundredfold *sigh *. One way or another, they just get the results they want, don’t they?

2 Likes

The chemical is the “same” (PG and PDO) but the molecular structure is “rotated”. Same is true of Starch and Cellulose …exactly the same “chemically” but the glucose molecules are alternately rotated in Cellulose. The difference is one is PAPER (cellulose) and one is food (starch). Termites can eat wood (cellulose) because they have a bacteria in their gut that can break the bonds of cellulose making it digestible as glucose …most other animals cannot (Ruminants can).

2 Likes

I believe you misread or misinterpreted my sentences, good sir. I stated that PG whether derived from petroleum based sources or vegetable the end result is still chemically speaking still just PG. PDO is indeed a different animal…

1 Like

Apologies my friend, that was not intended as a correction, just an attempt to clarify overall. I tried PDO for a YEAR and I count it as lost time …but then I don’t have a PG sensitivity. I was just looking for a better “carrier” flavorwise, and it was not. The “fade” thingy was real. It seemed better at first (SnV) but usually ended out weirder over time. It wasn’t bad …it just wasn’t better. It became unpredictable (steeped Custard flavorwise) …and expensive, but I wasn’t looking for a solution to my PG sensitivity. It might be a solution for that (because the molecule is rotated), but I have zero insight there. Bro Hugs

2 Likes

All good, wanted to clarifying my opinion… Yes i heard PDO was responsible for flavor fade and it was speculated that was a problem with RF SC flaves. Whether it was PDO to blame or simple overflavoring is still up for debate as peoples percentages where all over the map. I have considered Trying PEG(not food safe though correct?) And or PGA and would like to experiment with 0.5-1% DW as well…

1 Like

RF was putting out flavors with PDO instead of PG before they offered the current SC line

Is that what was in the “extracts” then?

Edit: lmao i remember now they were having people test out PDO flaves, before the extracts, then followed the SC…

1 Like