Capella Flavor Drops Tasting Notes

I’m not sure what other people do, but I usually do half and half strawberry ripe and sweet strawberry…so if you’re looking for 7.5%, do 3.7 or so of each. That’s about the same % I use in mine. Depending on my mood I’ll either do 3 and 3, 4 and 4, or 3 of one and 4 of the other. LoL.

If you’re wanting to do a straight replace, you could keep the same percentage. They’re pretty similar in strength and they both have a median/average percent used in ELR of about 6%.

3 Likes

I would take a look at recommended starting percentages to determine which is stronger… that should give you an idea if you need more, less or equal.

2 Likes

Thx @JoJo the original recipe had both TPA Strawberry and TPA Strawberry (Ripe) in it… for the second batch I made I used the original settings but added Marshmallow at 3.5% to sweeten it up a bit, I was going to change the type of Strawberry I used but was afraid if I just swapped on the one for the other it might of been too strong (thinking the CAP was much stronger than the TPA brand).
Basically your saying the 2 brands are close enough in potency that I could switch them around a bit until I find a good balance.

2 Likes

I do the same but i generally use just a bit less SS (CAP) than RS (TFA). It produces a very realistic SB flavor in both taste and smell. Of course its all personal preference, best part of DIY.

You obviously have great taste btw!

2 Likes

Both are basically around 6% on the resource pages for those flavors @NewDrip… just was looking for some first hand experience.

1 Like

The reasoning behind using both is Rip (TFA) has the smell and SS (CAP) has the taste.

1 Like

Thx @Ken_O_Where that was something I hadn’t considered… scent. I may need to play with that a bit and go sniffing around lol. Might need to use all 3 flavors, I’ll let this current batch steep a bit and try it tomorrow evening.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got the idea from you. :stuck_out_tongue: And I agree, it’s a very realistic strawberry. I noticed the the Ripe has the awesome scent of a fresh, ripe strawberry but because it isn’t very strong on sweetness it just doesn’t scream strawberry all by itself. I tried to use the same reasoning with TPA Watermelon and Cap Sweet Watermelon…didn’t work out quite the same. LOL

4 Likes

Scent is a BIG factor in taste. For a long time i use a mixture of Strawberry Ripe (TFA), Sweet Strawberry (CAP) and Strawberry (FW) @ 50/30/20 respectively. I ended up dropping the FW for some reason or another and stopped mixing in that manner. That way each recipe has a different taste.

2 Likes

Exactly. I would like to try some of the SB that @Amy2 talks about but i have also been so happy with this combination. That watermelon didnt work out eh? I use a combination of Watermelon (LA) and Sweet Watermelon (CAP). Tho i dont mix much with watermelon cuz it doesnt work well with custard, hehe.

Blueberry Extra (TFA) and Blueberry (CAP) work really well together too. It is one of my favorite combinations.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the TPA watermelon is garbage. I did a LA and Sweet combo but haven’t tried it yet. Good to know you have and it was good. I made it in a big bottle for my sister. I figure she can be my guinea pig. I have plain Blueberry TPA and FW Blueberry. I think I prefer the TPA with that one. I’ll have to try Cap’s. I didn’t think I’d be a huge blueberry fan but my mum is. I got them to try and find a good mix for her and wound up liking it. :smile:

2 Likes

BB(CAP) kind of sucks by itself, it is very weak (20% mix range) but has a good flavor. I had purchased a 4oz bottle so i was stuck with it. Added some BB Extra (TFA) and it was perfect. The LA is very candy like, nice and sweet. The CAP is juicy and sweet as well. I liked the combo as it required no sweetener at all but then i got hooked on custard vapes and everything got set aside.

When i started mixing Capella was just starting to be talked about so i jumped right in. Most of their stuff is fantastic. I probably have 25+ of their flavorings that i havent even tried yet, damn custards!

2 Likes

I tried BB CAP by itself and could never get a high enuff % to satisfy me. I ordered Bilberry to mix with it and helped alot. I also have BB FLV, INW and TPA, so I’m making some real good BB mixes now. I also have Bilberry INW but haven’t used it yet.

2 Likes

I completely agree. I tried to mix a BB Cinnamon Danish and even at 20% BB (CAP) and 1% Cinn Danish Swirl i couldnt taste the BB. It really enhances other BB’s tho, not sure how but it does.

2 Likes

TFA’s pumpkin spice will light you up. Potent and tasty. However I like it with a little cream similar to an egg nog like blend !

1 Like

Ken, I definitely learned LA watermelon needs a partner and yes I pair it often with a strawberry but when I use it for watermelon I often put it with watermelon FA or cap’s as well.

@JoJo TFA watermelon has the scent but the taste isn’t there. It was what I first started with and I can barely think of vaping it now. It is in one of my first loves from Nicquid / heartland e juice but I have played that e juice out and then some.

Vapor shots/ flavor envy and now Nicotine Labs is their current name out of kississime, Fl they have wonderful flavors @ringling and I both adore their watermelon, honeydew melon. Their strawberry is the one I talk about it is good as well as their banana and suprisingly I like their Ry4 as well.

2 Likes

wow, you all seam to like capella flavor. My be just me, but, I have tryed cinnamon roll, cinamon danish swirl sugar cookie. I have started low 5 % to high as 20 % I stjust turns out bitter, Now the simple vanilla work well. . I’m sure that i’m doing somethink wrong , with mixs ,steep time , rushing it in a cock pot on low heat.I need to do more reserch in to the flavors. Just don’t work out for me.

1 Like

Capella is most known for their Vanilla Custard. And now, it seems, their cream flavors. Their deserts are usually decent, although, like you, I don’t feel they are super special or fantastic or anything. I do like the NY Cheesecake a lot. Their fruit flavors are hit and miss. A lot of people use the sweet strawberry with strawberry ripe (TPA) to make a well rounded strawberry flavor.

4 Likes

@SthrnMixer, I’m having a similar experience with Capella flavors. I bought their Mango and it’s not bad if I sweeten it, but left alone it has a chemical aftertaste. I too bought the Double Watermelon (unfortunately before I read this post!) but haven’t used it yet. I usually do a flavor straight to see what base I’m starting with but suspect it will need to be sweetened. Any suggestions? Hoping you’ve had a breakthrough since this post!

1 Like

Hi KK. As @JoJo said their fruit flavors are hit or miss. My meaning behind that statement is that among the fruits of theirs I’ve tried some are ok, some a bit off, but as a whole you can’t really count on their fruits line to be good across the board. Only Sweet Strawberry has been a great performer in my opinion. Now truthfully I never mix single flavor mixes - I want to create! This approach helps me tremendously because I get the flavor pairing thing in my head that goes beyond what I think should taste good in a mix. Point is, since I don’t want to waste flavors I try to find a way to make them work before kicking them to the curb. So the stand alone method is not in my approach many times.

I’ve used their Sweet Mango quite a bit and I really like it. To me it holds true to that musky/tart/bitter flavor of Mango. So I can’t really give you any suggestions here since I find it a very decent flavoring. I can say that it doesn’t seem like a flavor that is altogether good for being front and center in the mix. I had some pretty tasty results with it as a single fruit flavor in one recipe. Perhaps try this one and if you do let it steep 10 days.

Island Custard (SthrnMixer Original) : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/102014/Island+Custard+%28SthrnMixer+Original%29

2% Dulce de Leche (TPA)
2% Marshmallow (TPA)
3.5% Sweet Mango (CAP)
12% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Flavor total: 19.5%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/MMe

If you find the mango to be off or needs a little help softening or support, try adding TPA Pear at 2-3%. It will work wonders for many fruits.

As for the Double Watermelon. I was highly disappointed with CAPs melons…all of them. To me neither their Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honeydew…not one tastes like garden melons. If you want some really good melon flavor Flavorah’s Cantaloupe and Wild Melon are excellent. A friend recently shared a mix with me using Watermelon by Lotus Flavors (Medicine Flower) as a single ingredient. This transcends bottled flavoring and is so much like watermelon in a bottle. Not candyish at all, like eating the fruit. Ok, nuff about that. CAPs Double Watermelon definitely needs help from other flavors. I look at it more as an accent flavoring rather than lead. I do have one recipe where this is actually used with excellent results - but it’s not my own creation and I do credit Bill’s Magic Vapor. Bill’s recipe called for Ethyl Maltol. I replaced it with Marshmallow. But notice the presence of the TPA Pear here. I don’t taste the Pear at all when vaping. But it does indeed help the DW achieve some success.

Stolen Watermelon : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/91940/Stolen+Watermelon

3% Brown Sugar (TPA)
4% Double Watermelon (CAP)
1% Malted Milk (TPA)
3% Marshmallow (TPA)
4% Pear (TPA)
4% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Flavor total: 19%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/HKM

I wish I could help more. I’ve reached out many times for people to help me crack the CAP Melons code - I’ve gotten virtually no assistance and I think it’s because these are simply not high quality flavorings. They need far too much help from other flavors before they start to give results you’re looking for. I liken that to drowning a piece of deer meat with steak sauce to get rid of that wild game taste. Big difference is, pound for pound flavoring costs more than venison by orders of magnitude, so it’s worth the effort if you can find a way to use what you’ve got :slight_smile:

2 Likes