Cautionary Tales of Life (as we know it) šŸ˜¬

Feel free to add a story; fact or fiction. :wink: ā€¦Iā€™ll start.

ā€˜There Was a Woman Sitting Alone at the End of the Barā€™

Published Jan. 5, 2020

Out to dinner on a crisp fall night, a sandwich to go and more reader tales of New York City in this weekā€™s Metropolitan Diary.

ā€˜Empty Tumblerā€™

Dear Diary:

My friend and I were waiting for two bar stools to open up at a cozy hotel restaurant on a crisp fall night.

There was a woman sitting alone at the end of the bar next to the only free chair. She was staring idly into the distance, an empty tumbler in front of her.

My friend got the bartenderā€™s attention and asked if he knew how much longer the woman would be sitting there.

The bartender looked at the woman with a sense of recognition and then slowly turned to my friend.

ā€œIndefinitely,ā€ he said dryly.

ā€œIndefinitely?ā€

The bartender looked at the woman again.

ā€œIndefinitely.ā€

Two other seats eventually opened up and my friend and I had a great dinner. When we left, the woman was still sitting there with her finished drink, watching the wheels turn all around her.

Geoffrey Rubin

In other words, ā€œLife is for Livingā€ā€¦ so, live it! Get out of the house (or regular routine) and do something funā€¦ mentally and physically excitingā€¦ before itā€™s too late or you canā€™t! :confused: The internet will still be there when you get backā€¦ really!

14 Likes

What if I think itā€™s fun to stay in the house, then what? Iā€™m not being a smart arse here. Serious question.

15 Likes

12 Likes

Sometimes it does a human being good to get some fresh air, to take in nature, leave all the everyday stuff behind. It does a lot of good for mental health.
I think most people will agree that itā€™s nice being home, their cozy little place where they can do whatever they please but they forget too easily how good it can be outside too, how many amazing things there are to discover and enjoy.

9 Likes

This happened while I was in my first year of medical school. I was taking an exam in anatomy; it was really tough. They ask questions like ā€œHow many bones are there in the hand?ā€ I was stymied. I kept saying to myself, ā€œHow many bones are there in the hand?ā€ Then I heard this little voice that said ā€œ24.ā€

I looked around the room and there sitting on the window sill of the classroom was this little grey squirrel with a very intelligent face. And he pointed at his hand and said ā€œ24.ā€ So I wrote it down. And then after the exam I rushed over to the library to look it up. And would you believe it? That stupid squirrel was wrong by four bones!

I went looking all over the campus for him. I wanted to kill him. I finally found him over on a bench by the psyche department. ā€œYou were wrong!ā€ I screamed at him. ā€œThereā€™s 28 bones in the human hand!ā€ ā€œOh,ā€ he said pointing at his hand, ā€œI thought you meant a squirrelā€™s hand.ā€

If that story doesnā€™t fit the thread I can make one up.

11 Likes

Excellent threadā€¦ I have no story to postā€¦
but will reconfirm after this weekā€¦ tons to do before this winter weather on the wayā€¦ gets here! :star_struck:

Iā€™m about to make some sawdustā€¦ they say itā€™s man glitterā€¦ but I tend to thinkā€¦ I wear it well too :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The stray cats around my house and my daughter stubbornly wanted to feed and keep them forced me to enjoy nature.

4 Likes

Like everything:
Do what makes you happy :grinning:

4 Likes

I didnā€™t get that at all from itā€¦

I got either:
A. Sheā€™s a very lifelike mannequin.
B. She enjoys watching people.
C. Sheā€™s one of the rare people who fall asleep with their eyes open. :crazy_face:

(On a serious noteā€¦ This could be an interesting thread. grins)

5 Likes

Now I get it.

5 Likes

Damn, shouldnā€™t have built my Mancave!

3 Likes

Too cold outside up here in the winter, staying inside with my Cabin Fever!

6 Likes

11 Likes

8 Likes

I got 2 hours in my shopā€¦ only because what I had to drag out, the rain stopped me!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bar Hoppers Beware! :grimacing::flushed::rofl:

10 Likes

Ah yes, a bottle of scotch, a campfire and maybe a wolf howl or two. Good good times.

7 Likes

Sure itā€™s a wolf???

3 Likes

Nashville, TN! (cautionary tales of visiting the place)

Papaā€™s stories make me laugh hard enough to get a hernia! :joy:

5 Likes

Cautionary tales about what you can, and cannot doā€¦ (from one of my favorite current comedians)

6 Likes