CBD Vape Recipes - How to dissolve isolate

To make a 30ml bottle disolve 1.05g of isolate in 21ml of pg using low heat until all crystals are disolved. Add 8ml vg and mix. This will give you roughly a 35mg/ml solution in a 70/30 pg/vg. I’ve found through trial and error that this is the highest amount of isolate in the lowest amount of pg that will form a stable solution. All of my efforts at higher amounts of isolate or lower pg ended up in cbd crystalizing out of the solution. This being said, I prefer to use a tincture myself because it is much easier to produce and use, the extra 30 minutes or so it takes to start working is about how long it takes me to vape an appropriate dose. Good luck!

2 Likes

This is great info, I will test this today. Do you think 50-50 VG-PG would also work?
Or what if I did .5 g instead of 1.05g in same recipe? Maybe this would allow a 50-50 ratio.

2 Likes

50/50 should be fine for 0.5g but you will have to vape double the amount to get the same dose of cbd. That’s the main reason I go to a tincture instead. It takes way too long to vape a full ml, nevermind 2, when you can use it in a tincture and take it orally instead with the only con being the extra 20 minutes or so it takes to metabolize and reap the benefits.

2 Likes

I make all my CBD vape, instead of oil or buying, one reason being cost the other being I don’t like some of the flavours of the oils and vaping it allows me to do it out and about if needed. I did inbox/msg you back @ breadleyb5155 but wanted to add here the following:

The first batch I made was 30ml with 1000mg (1g) dissolved in the smallest amount of PG I could. I started with 30% and spent hours dissolving the isolate. I made the mistake of adding the entire 1g to the estimated PG, it took quite a bit at a time to dissolve with me doing the shake, heat, shake, let sit, heat, shake…over and over until I discovered I had “oversaturated” the PG with isolate and it started to recrystallize. My ratio ended up being 35%PG/65%VG and the I learned if I kept it in the fridge would it would recrystallize in minutes. IF I kept the final solution in what my kid terms “Mum’s Pot Brew Box” it would start to get really cloudy and chunky but I could quickly heat it, shake it and the crystals would dissolve again.

The second batch I made I opted to dissolve .5g into a 15ml bottle and do it slowly, this allowed me to make sure that I had dissolved ALL the isolate first into the PG before I added more isolate or had to increase my PG. This blend resulted in a 30%PG.

A lot of it is trial and error and figuring out what dose you want. 1g in 30ml = 34mg/ml. I wanted to try to make an over 50mg/ml but I have yet to discover a way to to it without increasing the PG side over 50%, I have learned the more PG the harsher the burn on my throat. We each have a preference, I think. I’ve heard that you can use PEG400 but I’ve also read articles that say PEG400 is meant to be absorbed through our lungs. I will also add that I can’t easily get PEG400 where I live, but PG and VG are readily available.

Don’t know if the info I’ve provided helps or confuses but feel free to msg! I’d love to find more people that vape CBD. :slight_smile: Happy brewing!!

3 Likes

Yes this is great info, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by made the mistake of adding entire 1g? Are you saying you should be adding maybe .1 gram every 10 mins or so into the PG while heating?

Also, are you saying 65VG 35PG will work? Or will this only work in small CBD ratios? I don’t mind going 50-50 if that’s what it takes.

Lastly, any advantage of adding the isolate to a 50-50 ratio of heated PG/VG or just stick to adding to PG first then do the VG second.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work. Have to melt CBD jnto the PG first, mix well and fast, add VG, mix like hell, return to hot water bath for a few minutes then back on the stirrer.

3 Likes

Have to add it to the PG first, dissolve and then add your VG, if you have VG in the mix it prevents the isolate from dissolving.

I dumped the whole 1g of isolate into the bottle, added PG and learned that’s it better to add a bit of isolate to PG to allow it to dissolve faster, dumping the whole lot in made me have to repeat the heat/shake for a few hours until it dissolved.

I don’t think it matters if I add .1g at a time, when I mixed the second batch, I just shook a bit of isolate into the vial holding the PG solution, shook to dissolve, add more isolate etc…I have a scale that I bought on Amazon that measure to the .0001 which makes measure isolate and ingredients SUPER easy.

2 Likes

ok nice. And then flavoring is added last one it cools right? How much flavoring do you add? I use flavors so I was thinking like 3%

2 Likes

Depends on what flavour I want and how strong. I find if it’s a berry flavour, I can get away with 3 or 4% plus another 1% sweeter, if I want a mild flavour I would half that and drop the sweetener. I try to avoid having too many flavours just cause I’m still learning the right flavour blends.

I add the flavour before I add the VG, just because the flavour is a PG and it means I have to factor that amount into my PG ratio. I don’t heat the mix a lot, I just sit the closed bottle in a hot water bath, leave a minute or two, shake it a bunch, check the colour/dissolution, rinse and repeat. When I add the flavour, I do the same, add it all, warm - shake - repeat. Then add the VG, shake the hell out of it, warm, shake even more, rinse repeat until I’m happy with the mix, then either fill a tank and taste test or leave it overnight and try it in the morning.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed a few things about mixing and using cbd isolate. It ruined my magnetic stir bar with a sticky residue that doesn’t come off even with degreaser. It ruined the tank too with the same stickiness and because I waited too long to disassemble the tank, it would not come apart so I tossed it. As far as effectiveness, it seemed the inhalation was so much faster whereas orally, I didn’t notice anything different in how I felt. I will try mixing .1-.2g isolate with warmed coconut oil…the liquid kind, not 76* stuff and see where I am with that.

4 Likes

For mix “tools” I bought a 3 piece beaker set and 20 glass stir sticks on Amazon for $40. I haven’t had any residue but I through my stuff in the dishwasher when I’m done mixing. I’ve been using the same tank for a couple months, with a ceramic coil, there’s a small amount of build up in my tank but when I heat it, it seems to soften and get absorbed.

I agree totally on the inhalation, I find a get faster relief and feel better faster than when I’ve tried drops, I also love that I can do it anywhere at any time.

3 Likes

From what you’ve described it seems you and I are using a very different process for mixing, probably different dosage and tanks too. I’ve made the oral tincture much stronger than I made the vape juice, without rummaging around my notebooks for the exact recipe, I can tell you that the vape juice is roughly 15 mg/ml and the tincture is 35mg/1/4tsp (1.25ml).

I made these recipes as I did because buying premade CBD oil (for oral or topical use only) I discovered that 35mg a day was what worked for me. The vape juice was intended to stretch out the dose as I vaped it through out the day, where the tincture is meant to start out the day. Over the past year of doing it like this I’ve found the oral dose more effective and more economical. The vape juice is still nice, it does work just didn’t work as effectively for me.

4 Likes

I guess everyone IS different in how they handle CBD stuff. I used .1g CBD isolate in a 70/30 mix for 30ml. It was it was so effective for me that I only needed 1-2 drags every 2 hours. That took away pain and severe stress during the fall season slam.
First time using this mix, it put me to sleep in the truck for two hours. I’ll try mixing in a tincture instead very soon cause slam time is soon approaching

4 Likes

Bioavailability of CBD varies greatly depending on the method of administration.
The averages for CBD bioavailability by method of administration are:

6% - 15% for oral (swallowed and digested by the GI system)
35% for oromucosal (absorbed directly through the mouth)
34% - 46% for intranasal (applied through the nose)
40% for vaporized (absorbed through the lungs)

Source: https://bhangers.com/resources/science/bioavailability-cbd-varies/#sources

Vaporized Consumption

Vaporized consumption involves inhaling CBD directly into the lungs, typically through a vape pen or vaporizer device.

By directly entering the lungs, the CBD can then quickly and and directly enter the bloodstream, with decreased breakdown rates and higher bioavailability.

With numerous medical studies reporting bioavailability rates between 34–46%, and some even reporting up to 56%, vaporizing CBD is by far one of the most effective methods to take CBD, and our recommended method.

Source: https://medium.com/cbd-origin/what-is-cbd-bioavailability-and-why-does-it-matter-69d9a2e37e6c

Of course, due care must be taken to restrict the coil/wiick-interface to less than ~160 *C (info here).

A comprehensive paper relating to physiological processings of administered Cannabinoids (2007):

Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics

(2018): “A Systematic Review on the Pharmacokinetics of Cannabidiol in Humans

3 Likes

Hey dude could you message me in regards of mixing