CBD Vape Recipes - How to dissolve isolate

Trying to figure out the best way to dissolve CBD isolate into VG/PG vape recipe.

I read that Isolate will not dissolve in mostly VG recipes.

What is the max VG-PG you should go? 50-50?

I noticed the major companies use only 20-30% VG in their recipes.

4 Likes

I dissolve my isolate for vaping in a 80% pg and 20% vg base. It doesn’t dissolve for me in 100% vg

10 Likes

Welcome back robin. Long time no see.

7 Likes

Thank you, I wonder if a 50/50 ratio would work. I have heard some companies doing this. But most companies seem to use a 70PG and 30VG

4 Likes

70/30 or 60/40. I cant do much PG so the 70/30 works fine. and like @robin said, the cbd isolate wont dissolve in VG. actually wont dissolve in vodka either but will in PG or olive oil…wont vape oil of course :grinning:

5 Likes

Are you saying 70VG 30 PG or 70PG 30VG?
How many mg of isolate are you using? I heard it will not dissolve in a 70VG 30PG recipe.

3 Likes

This is an interesting graphic that might be informative. Seems to indicate that CBD (tested) was soluble in PG (~60 mg/ml), which can be increased to ~80 mg/ml in 90/10 PG/Ethanol. H2O decreases CBD solubility:

Source: https://mountainscholar.org/bitstream/handle/10217/180351/ICR2017_medicalCannabisDevelopment.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

3 Likes

in my own experiment’s, it is not soluble in max vg and the 70/30 blend is the most I could get away with as I just cannot do PG. it is not real soluble in 80 proof vodka or everclear either as I made some for mom. she said it worked with her pain but also had to rewarm the bottle and shake it until cloudy. if its cloudy, you’re good. if its clear, you’re not good cause that means the powder recrystallized and will have to blend again. this cloudy look goes with eliquid or booze. has to be cloudy

4 Likes

Multiple sources confirm a lack of solubility in Glycerol (VG) solubility, indeed. (Perhaps it is the case that) H2O present in the liquors reduces the solubility of the CBD in solution (as indicated in above graph data).

No experience here. I did some info searching, and found a few things (the chart being most interesting).

3 Likes

have you tried it? if you have not tried it, you should!!:grinning:

3 Likes

Am a THC (flower) smoking fellow. Have tried some ~10% CBD flowers here and there, however. I consider relief from pain/discomfort to be “pleasureful” - definitely a “psychotropic” experience. Most folks like to go on about how it doesn’t “get them high”. I tell them that I empathize with their unfortunate lack of pleasure. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Ok but with mixing, trying to get the crystals to dissolve is a trick. It’s interesting to me how it worked. In my work, I’m not allowed to use dope so this works very well. I guess you don’t mix and that’s ok too

4 Likes

Some fleeting experiences with THC oil vaporization (in State of Washington, which is thankfully a recreational/medical cannabis legal state). Look like the “boiling temps” are relatively low (see here).

3 Likes

Yes this is very interesting.

60mg/ml makes sense, but I wonder how this ratio will be affected once VG is introduced to the recipe.

Also, I have heard of PEG400 being used but not sure the ratio or safety with it

3 Likes

Here is a lengthy document published by the W.H.O. in November of 2017, relating to CBD as well as THC. See (document) Pages 11-13 for a somewhat informative section about some known CBD pharmacology:

3 Likes

I cannot locate any solubility reports for Glycerol (VG). In the worst case, reduced by the proportion of VG ?

I might be inclined to stay far away from PEGs (particularly the higher molecular weight PEG-400, with n~5).

3 Likes

To keep it as simple as possible, dissolve it in PG first with gentle warmth, then add the VG. I’ve worked with this a fair bit and found that the isolate will reform into crystals if the VG/PG is greater than 60/40. At 40% PG the crystals stay dissolved, at least for me they did. At 38% and lower (discovered by accident doing the math wrong) they recrystallized.

The vape mix I use now is 60VG/40PG but I don’t vape this very often and won’t make any more, I prefer to take it orally. Taking the CBD orally, holding it under your tongue, is far more effective for absorption than vaping will be. Also, stay away from PEG, it’s not meant for inhaling.

Stay safe and good luck! :+1:

5 Likes

I for one would not vape PEG.
The recovered wreck of the Mary Rose a timber British warship sunk in 1545, and recovered in 1982 was preserved in a dry dock in a temperature controlled environment in Portsmouth UK, and was kept in a constant mist of PEG, which impregnated the timbers of the wreck as the main preservative.
In this way it was kept until a new museum was built to house it in 2010/11.

2 Likes

I can just see the faces of future archeologists when they dig up a grave and find nothing but a pair of well preserved lungs, wonder what the headlines would be for that :laughing:

4 Likes

Robin whats up …where have u been, everything good ??? Your in NY right ??? What’s the plan ?? Oh you DIY :wink:

2 Likes