Chefs Super Concentrates Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Testing Now!

And into the cart it goes.

7 Likes

@lukeloop you’ve GOT to let me know what you think, am very curious to hear mate.

7 Likes

A definite one for the list: I’ve been hunting for a decent oat for when I get down to working on Christmas recipes.

8 Likes

Peanut Butter (CSC) 1.5% (6-22-21) – Good Peanut Butters are out there, but they can be hard to find. Typically PBs fall into two categories, Dry and Salty, or Creamy and Sweet. Chef’s seems to have figured out how to MERGE the two !!! Yes, an almost perfect combination of a creamy, sweet, salty, peanut butter with some dryness which added to the complexity. At 1.5% it was full, present, and delicious, with nothing out of place. It was about mid-level sweet, and leaned slightly towards the creamy sweet, but only slightly. No bitterness could be found, and there was a certain earthy-ness that kept it grounded. Soup to Nuts might just be applicable here, as this one covered a lot of bases, and checked most of the boxes. I think it could be best summed up like a Creamy Jif peanut butter paired with crunchy salted nuts. With it’s authenticity, complexity, and dual personalities I could see many uses for this one. Easily 9.75/10.

13 Likes

Vanilla Ice Cream (CSC) 1.5% (6-24-21) – 2nd to last on deck in this huge series of Chef’s new SC’s. My initial reaction to this was, “This might be the BEST Vanilla Ice Cream” I have ever tried. 10ml later, that hasn’t changed, and that’s kind of a big deal. At 1.5% this one was a real show stopper, which had all the notes needed to convince you of it’s namesake. Missing were some of the commonly found dairy notes in some flavors, that were dairy, but not really Ice Cream. Chefs did a really bang up job on this one. Incredible mouthfeel for an ice cream, and while not “buttery” like another well known VIC, it didn’t need it, you didn’t miss it, and actually you didn’t even WANT it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this one, but needless to say, all the players were here, creamy, rich, present, but not overbearing vanilla, and loads of mouthfeel. A few ticks above mid sweet, and no pepper, no off notes, no nonsense present. For a great, clean vanilla ice cream that truly captured all aspects of a VIC, this one should be on your rack. For anyone else, it should be on YOUR rack too !!! I would rate it at 10.1/10, but I promised I’d never do that again. Easily, 10/10.

14 Likes

Another for the shopping list. I’m going to need a good excuse for the wife: My next restock already has 126 concentrates on it.

7 Likes

Thanks for the great reviews!
I have also mixed many Chefs SC, the Creme Anglaise, Vanilla Tahity and French Vanilla smell very good. But also the fruit flavors smell very good, especially the mango.

6 Likes

@SquirrelSmash, if you like a clean, but very rich, and accurate ice cream, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with this one.

Your very welcome @cmyk.

4 Likes

Well I’m looking for one (a decent vanilla or custard) that can cut through smoky tobacco and balance well. It’ll be a long blending journey: I think using Hickory Smoke (TPA) at 0.075 has to be accompanied with (another) 0.075% of malic acid after 4 weeks as the foundation I need to work from.

6 Likes

That’s a good and specific need. Would this one cut through ? We’ll have to see. It’s not the most IN your face VIC, but I was immediately struck by how accurate it was. There are a LOT of VIC’s out there, some are close, some are just “dairy” but never really convey actual Ice Cream. Chef’s really got it right with their VIC. Sometimes you can’t always put into words what “it” is, but their VIC has “it”. I would say the Vanilla is very present, but not overbearing. If a great mouthfeel gives you tremors, you may want to put on a seatbelt before trying it.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have found that some tobaccos with custards and particularly with the addition of oak and smoke can become muddy or stewed. So, I am trying to find that perfect point where all marries in the mouth but grows into the character of each: A palate and throat custard and ice cream softness with cigar and pipe notes around teeth and throat.

6 Likes

I am that mad about sensations: putting a theologian and lawyer on a task involves exacting standards.

5 Likes

Waffle (CSC) 1.5% (6-27-21) – With this Waffle, this massive first run of flavors from Chefs will be completed. I have tested more than a few Waffles, and when I smelled this one, it immediately reminded me of a now discontinued INW Waffle-YC. Having never solo’d INW’s I can’t do a direct A/B comparison, but suffice it to say this one was very good. Missing were some of the almost cake-y notes that some waffles have, and in turn this one had some great mid and dark tones to it. It was more like a whole wheat waffle than a lighter one. No overt wheat, but the grainy notes, and slightly thicker, darker-ness was easily observed, AND enjoyed. No sharp edges, or off notes, and was a little below mid level sweet. No overt butter or syrup, and that left it as a deliciously blank waffle canvas to work with. I really enjoyed the darker richness of this one. At 1.5% it almost felt like it could use a smidge more, but was in no was lacking. All in, this one presented as a great, somewhat darker, almost whole wheat waffle with some smoother, lighter notes. High points given for no obvious butter or syrup, leaving it ready to work. Easily a 9.5/10.

14 Likes

Wow, after completing this series, I have to say I was impressed, and there were quite a few unique flavors, some of which I could think of no direct comparison. Thanks again out to @Timwis for alerting that Chefs was releasing this, their own line of Super Concentrates, @lukeloop for figuring out realistic testing percentages, and of course thanks out to Leah @Chefs_Flavours, for sending these out for review.

Very impressive lineup, and some real winners. If you’ve made it this far down, then I thank you for hanging in there for this entire series. With the run that I tested, I think I can highly recommend hopping over to Chefs and picking up some for your racks.

S.D.

13 Likes

Great informative write ups, as you know from VC i have already purchased a load of these and although i have only got as far as giving them a quick smell even from that i am quite excited about these!

9 Likes

Well, thanks a lot for making the trip @Timwis, and I welcome you to ELR Sir, AND, can’t wait to hear what you think about these flavors.

Thank you for the kind words, always means a lot form a fellow reviewer.

9 Likes

Now you have me intrigued, lol!

6 Likes

@Timwis

“‘Will you walk into my parlour?’ said the Spider to the Fly.”

9 Likes

Wikipedia is my friend!

5 Likes

Hey @Timwis, welcome mate. Good to see you here too. :grin:

8 Likes