Chefs Super Concentrates Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Testing Now!

Like when you tread in dog muck, i get everywhere mate!

8 Likes

Welcome mate. I like your sense of humour :rofl:

9 Likes

Creme Anglaise (CSC) 2%
My favorite so far is Creme Anglaise.
Like a vanilla sauce, not fat like a pudding or custard. milky and light with a spicy vanilla. I have 60 different vanilla flavors at home but the Creme Anglaise is really unique.

If you know the Vanilla Tobacco from Vampire Vape you will find this vanilla there.
9.5/10

Mango (CSC) 2%
Not a bad mango, a little above average. (There are really many bad mangosā€¦)
No overripe Malaysia Mango, I would compare it to the FA Costa Rica Mango with a touch more peel / tart which makes the flavor again much more authentic. I think I will mix this flavor again with 4%.
8.0/10

11 Likes

Great stuff @CmYk.

8 Likes

@SessionDrummer
Was just over on Chefā€™s website and they have quite a bit more of the SCā€™s than whatā€™s covered in this thread. Did they only ship you certain flavorsā€¦or they shipped the whole line and you havenā€™t gotten around to the others?

I ask because I was hoping to see some info on their Strawberry and Strawberry milkshake. Regardless, I and others am (are?) grateful for the reviews and the time you put in brother!

9 Likes

@TorturedZen thanks a lot, it always means a lot to hear that. I canā€™t remember, I think Leah just shipped out like 20 of them, but I can hit her back, and see whatā€™s what. I TOO love some SB Milkshake.

7 Likes

I noticed that a few on my shopping list havenā€™t been covered yet. Iā€™ll add my thoughts on Absinthe, Rhubarb and Tobacco Fire Cured in early August (ordering 23rd July). Iā€™ve also added Coconut Macaroons, Biscuit (Speculoos),Mojito, Vanilla Ice Cream and Oat after your SFTs. So if I get shouted at for ordering over 100 concentrates, itā€™s clearly your fault. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Hehe, although on a personal level, Iā€™d LOVE to take credit for that, but alas, I cannot.

Iā€™d be curious to hear your thoughts on all of them, especially the ones I reviewed for comparison.

Iā€™ve contacted Leah, to see how things are going over at Chefs.

7 Likes

Wait, I just checked with the wife, and she stated, ā€œYESā€, it is my fault.

7 Likes

I decided to get them this month as I need to go to Chefā€™s for Perique Black and a few other essentials. So added the Chefā€™s that jumped out as suiting my autumn/winter palate.

8 Likes

Absinthe (CSC) 0.5%/1.5% (12th August)

From the scent and knuckle test alone it is clear that this absinthe has put fennel front and centre in the blend. After that, the anise and earthy wormwood battle eachother for attention amidst a battlefield of a creamy mouthfeel. To finish, it has a tart grassy and fibrous stalks air to the aftertaste with a warming youā€™d expect from a strong spirit.

Overall this is a decent herbal concentrate but, how does it stack up against other absinthes?

Well, it is the driest of the pack with Absinthe 2 (TPA), Absinthe (FW) and Absinthe (DV) (in descending order) all being sweeter. It also lacks the depth of herbs and bitters that the DV has in spades.

Personally, Iā€™d use it between 0.45 - 1% to add depth to fruit and herbal blends.

8/10 as a herbal or to complement other absinthes. Not suitable as a standalone absinthe

10 Likes

Rhubarb (CSC) 0.5%/1.5% (12th August)

Well 1.5% was a bad idea: I was hit by a poor chemical mess that was akin to mixing acetone with stevia and Mary Jane (TPA).

So, now at 0.5%:

This is a candied rhubarb much like half of the British rhubarb and custard boiled sweets. Though it does add a bitter tartness as an end note. With a strong pie crust or custard it may work well but will need a long steep at 2-3 weeks.

Iā€™ll give this a longer steep to see if that ester flavouring characteristic fades or not over a month.

As is, 3/10 as a typical synthetic tasting rhubarb.

11 Likes

It is a damn good concentrate and well balanced. It just feels a tad more like a rich creme caramel than a brulee to me: just lacking that tiny touch a burnt caramel to make it a brulee.

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

@SquirrelSmash I hate it when that happens, and itā€™s happened to me a lot. I appreciate your candor, AND, your re-testing at a lower rate.

3 Likes

Ahhhhh, thatā€™s why I deducted !!!

Nicely done.

2 Likes

Awesome notes, SD! Your notes encouraged me to get serious about my own SFTs. hope itā€™s okay for me to post here to announce that Iā€™m actually in the process of reviewing the ENTIRE Chefā€™s SC line along with the Noted crew for a special YouTube review show!

The episode will be airing live on Monday, September 6th at 7pm PST/ 10pm EST, under the DIYorDie YT channel.

Apologies for the shameless self promo plug, but it will be my first guest appearance on the show + Iā€™m nervous! I go by ā€œhesheretteā€ on YT/ elsewhere :wink: Iā€™ve been busting my butt doing SFTs to hopefully give back to the amazing DIY community thatā€™s helped me so much. I didnā€™t realize what I was volunteering for but once I found out I decided to just go for it :slight_smile: Iā€™ll be back sometime soon with a quick rundown of some reviews for the thread as well.

6 Likes

Youā€™ll enjoy most of them. Though, the mints are a bit samey and the tobaccos donā€™t impress.

I think I only disagree with @SessionDrummer on Oats. Personally I find that it has an overpowering unnatural note: A bit like chemical processing. I assumed that it was just a UK vs. US palate difference.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s very high praise @errrkah. Thank you.

I look forward to that.

7 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoe3PEb1_7sAY1ZgehNP3A

6 Likes