Chemical Taste .. need help

hello everyone, i have done “Cheesecake Dream” recipe, here is the link

after 5 days it turns to have a Chemical Taste, can someone help… what can i do?!
thanks

1 Like

Odd considering, but I think it might have to do with the 8% pistachio. I rarely go above 4% with it, so it might be overpowering the mix in a way?

Otherwise, it could be one of your concentrates, or your PG, VG or Nic is old or bad…

2 Likes

Well, it’s got cheesecake in it so it needs a little time. Did you shake the hell out of it and leave it with the lid off overnight in the closet? Does seem like a lot of pistachio as well.

If that’s me I cut by a third with VG, shake the hell out of it and leave the lid off overnight and test it again… but that’s just me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks @Rupert :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks @Maureeenie :slight_smile: yeah i shaked it very well . and i use ultrasonic for steeping the liquid.
i also left it with the lid off for about 2 hours … is this enough or maybe i should leave it more?

Try it overnight for sure. I don’t vape anything until it gasses off. All of those flavorings are chemicals and every chemical you put in a mix will react with not only the VG and PG but with the alcohol that may be in one of the flavorings. All those chemicals have to meet, greet, and “react” to each others properties. The shaking forces the molecules together, the lid off allows the chemical reactions to escape the bottle. Sometimes I leave the lid off for two days :slight_smile: Remember - it’s all chemicals.

1 Like

wow 2 days with the lid off :hushed: … i always have the feeling that the flavors might be tasteless if i kept the liquid with the lid off for a long time.
thanks @Maureeenie for your support :slight_smile: i will let it breath for tonight

It makes it a lot smoother. I don’t take the lid all the way off, I set the lid on top not sealed so the gasses can get out. It wont lose flavor, trust me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find you do not need to let the lid of at all. Some flavours and I pretty much treat all flavours as minimum 3 days. The chemical flavours will settle by that time even with the lid on.

1 Like

We all have different methods and tastes… I just want my steam minus the throat hit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some people are more sensitive to the ingredients that are found in cheesecake flavors. Your best be is going to be to try to mask it with others.

Plastic bottle?

I can assure you there was nothing personal meant just another option presented.

I’d also say that leaving the lid on or off and waiting 3 days will “minus the throats hit”. Which is good news, as the op was concerned.Do 2 bottles to see for yourself?

I will say that leaving the lid off does speed it up. Personally I couldn’t be bothered and I’d probably forget to put the lid back on. I’m much too lazy for these extra steps. Just rest & forget.

I made this recently, being on a pistachio binge, and found it really needed two weeks to calm down. Adding 1% Marzipan (FA) also helped to blend the sweet pistachio and bitter almond together.

I’m certainly no expert, that’s just where my experiments went. I do keep coming back to this as my ADV though, and had to throw together another 30ml this morning, when I realised I only had 5ml left of “this juice I don’t like much, so I won’t make any more”.

1 Like

I had chemical smell problems too with some of my flavorings. Leaving it lid off for too long (more than 8-12 hours) will evaporate the flavor as well. I know three solutions after finding out which flavor is causing the chemical smell 1. Avoid that flavor or 2. Lower the percentage or 3. Steep, till the time chemical smell is gone. Good luck.

2 Likes

thanks @Cap_auk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @emerahl :slight_smile:

I’ve only been mixing for about 2 months, but I have found that shaking really well and then doing a 15-20 minute hot water bath does wonders for steep time. I typically give everything 3 days before an initial vape to try it. From there, it differs based on flavors/complexity of mix as to how long it needs to steep further.

2 Likes

Too much flavoring. I spoke to Linda from TFA awhile back and during our conversation she told me people put too much flavoring and end up with a chemical taste.

1 Like

never ever take the lid off… its from years of mixing. If its that has to resort to that drastic of a method, let it steep. it might take up to 2 months. Remember this is not a hobby for the impatient. Don’t let this term “shake and vape” get to you, i wish this term never made it into this hobby. Good Luck and let it Steep…Nothing replaces a good long steep.

1 Like