Clapton newbie help

Looking for options on how large and number of wraps to use for the following :
Wishing to build a duel coil dripper out of kanthal that when fired is 0.5 Ohm
I have some kanthal already (and some SS) but lets pretend I don’t. I may make the Clapton myself later but will most likely just purchase a spool of the desired size to begin with and progress from there.

1 Like

My core wire was usually 26awg Kanthal. But you should experiment with 28awg to 24awg and for the wrap try 28awg to 32awg. 32awg is pretty fine though. My suggestion would be to watch some youtube vids. They will show you start to finish along with the resulting resistance, along with the gauge wire used to make the coils. There are tone of these vids out there.

2 Likes

I haven’t made a clapton since discovering Ti wire. I get very good flavor on the Ti, so making all the crazy coils just meant too much work for comparable flavor. So if you haven’t tried it I would suggest you grab a spool of 22awg Ti and 24awg Ti and play with that as well. Because making a Ti coil couldn’t be easier.

2 Likes

The last claptons I did were 34g over a 28g core 6 wraps around a 4mm and with dual coils came out to 0.52 ohm if I recall correctly. Vaped somewhat decent, it was a dual coil vertical build on a Velocity clone.

Edit: I was corrected it was actually a fused clapton so 34g over 2 28g cores.

I was also into Clapton coils before I found ss wire. Practiced for months using different methods. For me used 26/32 kanthal wire. Using drill press vice…ball bearing swivels…and a drill. Art of vaping on YouTube is where to watch this. Grimm green also has a vid with this method. There is also a vid feeding wire through a ink pen…it works. Then there is using your hand. Has anyone made Clapton wire using ss wire…that’s what I want to do. Haven’t found any wire smaller than 28 awg.

fuck it…just buy pre made clapton wire and wrap to your hearts desire

2 Likes

fasttech has 316l up to 32g…ive been talking about making SS claptons for a few days now…will probably make some this weekend…will make 22g core and 32g wrap…i have 22g in 304, 316, 316l and 430 and i have that 32g in 316l
i’ll post about it somewhere

2 Likes

Steam Engine will answer all your questions

1 Like

I appreciate the responses, I am currently traveling so using my phone (can’t find where I stashed the tablet and don’t want to dig out the laptop from the bottom of the packed car). I have watched many videos (Grimms, the one using a stripped down pen, others on fused builds, etc) many of the builds people where making where in the 0.2-0.1 range so I thought I would save a bit of the little hair I have left and ask about a Clapton in the 0.5 range I vape at. I have made simple builds (parallel and singles) but wasn’t happy with the outcome (that was a few months ago) so was thinking about picking it back up. I will be getting some Ti but wanted to just play with kanthal until I got a good feeling for what I am doing, I feel taking that step would allow me to see the difference between the wires better.