Cleaning bottles?

I just received some 15 mil amber glass dripper bottles to use for flavor tests and was just wondering how I should clean them for reuse. Just want to make sure I dont give myself a lung infection or worse.

7 Likes

Warm soapy water and rinse well, you should be good to go.

10 Likes

Yup. As said. Warm soapy water.

Me personally, as I have only used glass bottles. I first rinse out my used bottles with warm water. That I soak in some dawn and water for 15 mins. Then I rinse bottle with warm water then soak again in distilled water for 15 mins.

There isn’t science behind what I am doing but is what I have been doing for the last 4-5 years and haven’t had to toss a bottle yet or cap for the matter.

7 Likes

Mild dish soap, 1st rinse water, 2nd rinse iso alcohol, drip dry.
The alcohol prevents water spots.

8 Likes

I’m assuming that the alcohol evaporates and doesn’t leave any taste behind right?

4 Likes

That’s correct.

4 Likes

If these glass bottles are strong enough, I’d go with pouring some boiled water into them.
A trick I learned from babushka when she’s preparing jars for the jam she made!

5 Likes

I clean glass bottles with dish wash liquid then rinse thoroughly. I then put them in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil for 5 to 10 mins to sterilise them.

Just like baby bottles way back when… lol

7 Likes

I follow lab or glass blowers protocol.
lab: avoid any cleaning agents unless necessary(high pressure hot tap water). Next best thing is a solvent, the lower the boiling point, the better. Acetone has always been the universal last step as it dries the insides of anything in seconds. Next best thing would be an alcohol. Will it leave a residue? not if it’s pure! If unsure, let some evaporate on a clean dish and see if anything is left behind, If a brush will not reach some cruddy spots, shake with regular salt inside, or salt+ acetone.
Glass blowers:
a glass item being flame worked must be incredibly clean and free of water before touching the flame, Alcohol is a universal last rinse. Dried via flame.
I’ll soak in soapy water sometimes, but I feel like it never leaves the bottle. yuk,

Edit: I should mention, though I didn’t think itd be necessary when I wrote this, is that the main reason simple soap is avoided in laboratories is because it is a strong emulsifying agent. A lot of the flavors and mixtures of them with viscous things like glycerol will polymerize when heated. Then I’d recommend (carefully) making an alcohol + ammonia solution.

5 Likes

And flick em a few times with the open top facing outwards, what I do just to evacuate any excess water so they ready to use faster.

1 Like

i’m with GVape on this one = no soap. i find that vape juice is so water soluble a good rinse is all i do.

3 Likes