Coil Building OHM etc

Wow! I just have a 50cal ammo can full of spools.

8 Likes

Can I see? :astonished:

2 Likes

Not much to look at…

6 Likes

I like the wire making rig in the intro of ur videos. High Tech Stuff you have going. :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you sir!!! It’s a lot of fun.

5 Likes

Nice @SmilingOgre 4 balls, 1 blinker !!!

3 Likes

Nice little cheep waterproof cans. They’ll hold 500 rounds of either 556 or 7.62 x 39 easily.

5 Likes

Can you ever have too many ??

4 Likes

Freddie… can you get your cheat sheet up here for us all??
that is amazing!! :slight_smile: and mark which wire is what kind of metal??
I like your box lol… :smiley: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Oh no… “my way” @anon84779643 is so unconventional. and Crazy :crazy_face: :grinning:

I use Home Made DIY tools to wrap coils. Converting Fractional Inch (Drill bits) to Metric size and plugging it into http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html

But I do find rounding up a 1/8 drill bit to 3.2mm works out very well - when using a smaller springy stainless steel wire.

For the simple sake of it - Pretty much all you need to know is the shaft size for your wrapping tool and what (“kind of” & “gauge/size” wire) you use. Then anyone can make cheat sheets custom to their situation. Using the Steam-Engine site - http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html

Fractional Inch to Metric Help Chart
Fractional%20Inch%20to%20Metric

7 Likes

Are those home made (DIY) coil jigs? Awesome, I sure would like a better look at those, if you don’t mind.

6 Likes

I have used regular house nails… so I doubt you can get any funkier than that :wink:

exactly… <3 haha!!!

4 Likes

Ditto @Freddie3 :wink: show them off… come on!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve decided that I’ll just buy pre-built coils but I still have no idea what size coil I need. I vape at 40 watts that’s all I can tell you because the rest of this stuff is complete GREEK to me LOL.

2 Likes

Maybe research your Atomizers of interest - and /or try to contact the manufacturer(s) of said widgets ? Pre-built coils are potentially very handy - but one needs to ensure that they will “fit and work” properly.

3 Likes

Isn’t it easier to adjust your watts to your coils instead of adjusting the coils to your watts?

For me, flavor and vapor production are #1 priority. Coils and wattage or temp are just variables to get the desired result.

6 Likes

I have to agree with that one. You “vape at 40w” because that’s your sweet spot for the setup you currently like. You can certainly do your best to emulate only that target number, but 40w on its’ face is not a linear variable that can be applied universally to get equal results in every build (obviously), and I suspect that you will get frustrated pretty quickly if you choose not to try different power levels.

How about a compromise… If you get pre-shaped coils (not complete disposable units of course), how about getting a ‘variety pack’ of different styles and resistances and work on testing to see what you eventually like? I wouldn’t stick tightly to that 40 watt target, either. Lots of people here have a great idea of what power ranges work best with different setups, and will happily advise you of starting wattages for the different test builds you make. You can dial in your own sweet spot from there.

I also wouldn’t stop with just one atomizer either. There’s just too many variables out there to exclude multiple devices and builds until you’ve found The One. Took me several years and tons of gear and builds to finally get to what I like.

3 Likes

Even that I think is very subjective. The coils I’m using give me a satisfying vape around 65W (temp limited) but I’ve seen plenty people using similar coils pumping it up to 100W. Variables like how hard you suck, airflow, atty, how you like your vape etc all play a huge role.

4 Likes

Definitely is. I sort of meant more along the lines of ‘stated ranges on disposable units’. As a community member helping someone new to DIY coil building, you want to at the least make sure the new builder isn’t going to try a draw at a power level that would fry cotton or something ugly like that. It’s highly subjective, but rules of thumb work in a lot of cases as a starting point that can be tailored to personal preference. That’s kind of what I was trying to say anyway. Understanding how Ohm’s Law plays in to vaping, and understanding aids like the Steam Engine (and the other intricacies you mentioned) are now comfortable to us, but it takes time for a new builder to get to a decent level of understanding.

4 Likes

For me a rule of thumb for someone completely new is start low and build up to where you like it. For above ohm systems that’s 5W and up, for subohm systems that’s 20W and up.
You find out soon enough what is a workable range. Too little is definitely preferable over too much.

3 Likes