Coil Building show offs!

Thanks, I am extremely driven, almost insanely fanatic to do anything I focus on…
BUT, I have a problem, and hopefully @Jondamon is listening …
When I do fused claptons, you know, using the 90° dealio, when I do high gauges, the wire wants to double back on me, and I cant seem to figure it out…I mean, I finally got the core to stop twisting on me, but now, when I use 40g or higher, the wrap wire wants to double back on me every so often…and this is where I excel, @Pro_Vapes, I am NOT afraid to ask questions to advance my current position…
Again, thanks for the props! Ive looked at your history and you have quite a legend…

1 Like

I have issues wrapping 40g myself. I use the clapton tool with a lot tension at about a 45 degree angle to the wrapped side. I follow the wraps instead of leading. After about a inch or two it start to flow for me. If you’re not use to it, it may take some practice with a lower gauge before you try it with a fine gauge. Heavy gauge wire will pull you along with it, but finer gauges won’t. TBH real fine wire is more aesthetic than functional. I know you want the pretty coils so it’ll take some practice. You just got to stick with it until you figure it out.

Last night was my first night using anything higher than 38g.

My findings are as follows.

If the speed on your drill is too fast it will back wrap, if you hold your spool behind the wrapping wire it will back wrap.

The trick is stay just ahead and go slow.

Slower than we do for 38/36/34 etc

I’m assuming as we progress with high gauge wrapping it will become easier and we can speed up.

Another thing I found was that the more wire you have out from the spool to the core the easier it wraps.

I was sitting at arms length away from my drill last night and it was a lot easier than holding the spool close to the cores.

CMJ

2 Likes

All of this feels right…I gotcha…I’ll let you know, thank you, gentlemen, carry on, lol…

2 Likes

I got another beautiful build for you dude.

Alcohol cleaned spaced SS317L 25g 4 wrap 3mm .35ohms.

3 Likes

Straight down to the basics…what ya got that in?

2 Likes

What a beauty! CMJ

2 Likes

In the TFV4.

I got sick of dry hits and leaking.

I must have rewicked the tank about 6 times throughout the day.

So I thought F it lets throw a simple spaced SS coil in there.

Tell you what though @Pro_vapes it’s a great vape

Thanks for turning me on to this style of build.

CMJ

1 Like

They’ve been telling me that all along. I can’t take any credit for it. I was impressed too when I went back to basics. I think wire type play a huge role in this style of building and vaping.

2 Likes

Most definitely wire type plays a huge role.

That’s a big reason why I’ve started coil building with pretty much full nichrome intricacies.

I don’t think I’ll rebuild everything with SS or Ti just yet though as I’m fully enjoying the building still.

I’ve got my few ADV recipes that I’m happy with and I’m making the odd few new recipes that I then tweak etc.

But who knows, when my IPV4s gets here that may completely change the name of the game for me lol.

CMJ

3 Likes

i have another question for the veterans, mathematicians and anyone else who can help…@Pro_Vapes, @Jondamon, anyone at all:
what is the equation for a faster/fastest ramp up time? what about faster/fastest ramp up time with low ohm builds?
thanks in advance

Average Builds
Fastest Ramp up Regular Flavor Build
4-8 spaced wrapped Kanthal 2-3 mm ID. The least amount of wraps, the lower the ohms.

My Builds
Fast Ramp up Ultimate Flavor Build "IMO"
4-8 spaced wrapped Ti 2-3 mm ID. The least amount of wraps, the lower the ohms.

1 Like

As @Pro_vapes has mentioned the faster ramp ups happen with single strand few wrap builds.

So it all depends what you’re aiming for.

If it’s an intricate build that ramps up quick then I’ve found higher gauge cores to ramp up quick with even higher gauge wrappers

For example 32gNm80 fused Clapton wrapped in 38gNm80 ramps up quick.

On the flip side so does a 26gNm80 fused Clapton wrapped in 44g.

It completely depends upon what kind of biuld you want to accomplish.

The 4 wrap SS I put in the tfv4 ramps up quick.

Steam engine will tell you how Hot a build will be at certain wattages using the heat flux section. This is a good indication IMO of how quickly a build will ramp up.

If you get a between 250-400mm on the heat flux at say 20w then it will ramp up super quick.

CMJ

Every build I ever made ramps up fast at 200w. If you got a high power mod just crank up the watts.

2 Likes

Very true!! Lol

different story on a mech device though.

CMJ

1 Like

He builds like you… big coils = big watts and a hot vape. These ain’t Istick coils…

I can run a simple Ti build At .08 ohms at 50-65w.

A .08 Ni? claptoned double triple reversed parallel whatever take 88+w just to glow.

2 Likes

Just a little mess about with wire tonight.

6 wrap 2.4mm 28gKa1 fused claps wrapped in 44gNm80

And then a mess around inception style.

3x30gNm80 twisted 3mm 8wrap with a flattened 24gNm80 7 wrap 1mm mounted inside the 3mm.

This one was just completely unusable as the inner flattened 24g just scorched the shit out of the cotton but it was fun to try and make. Lol.

.12ohms

3 Likes

Looks like a fun build though.

What if you ran a thin strip of cotton through the center coil and wrapped the outer coil with cotton?

1 Like

Nice thought.

The only trouble is that the inner coils ramps up way before the outer has even thought about getting hot lol.

The only way to wick this was through the outer coil encompassing the inner coil all around with cotton.

I couldn’t even manage to pass any cotton through the tiny 1mm ID lol.

I did wick it though and try it. EWWWW!!!

Cotton for days!!! Lol.

CMJ

2 Likes

First pic is about 0.5-1.0seconds after hitting my mech mod button.

Next pic is about 14s into pulsing the coil.

1 Like