Coil Building Wire Choices

Well thank you spoken so nicely in a way I can actually picture what you mean !

1 Like

I am glad to hear that Amyā€¦If you need any help to make coils for your chosen RTAā€¦I will be delighted to help youā€¦I am no ā€œguruā€, and I am sure that others here will be happy to help alsoā€¦but am making some nice strides in coil making along with my mixing, thanks to you

1 Like

Aw thanks thatā€™s sweet. I am a master of nothing but a student of everything ! Time to learn another hobby !
I will keep u in the loop !

1 Like

You got skillsā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Amy2
Itā€™s a little more complicated than the face value presents itself. To avoid frustration when starting your own coil building, I think it is very wise to have the proper and simplest tools and devicesā€¦and AFTER you have become very familiar with the Steam Engine Coil calculator. I will try to define all of this without writing a novel.

You have a Nautilus that you can get an RBA deck for, but the coil is kind of weird to build for a beginner, the way it sits high and the direction of the coil legsā€¦see the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf6I4T-zN78

A 2,5mm ID coil is used by many of us, but so is a 3mm ID coil, and the 3mm ID is easier to wick because there is more room. You can achieve your goal with either, using the coil calculator, then choosing your wire and build accordingly, but you must consider which RBA, RDA, RBTA, etc. you are using. Some you may not fit a 3mm ID coil, some you may with extra work, etc. so it matters what you choose to start onā€¦AND what you start WITH !!!
Not just the device itself, but your tools. The job is tedious at best for any of them, so tools are very important, and quality tools can help avoid frustration.
Those little blue things that every one has a 100 ofā€¦I donā€™t use them, but use upgraded screwdrivers. Pointed ceramic tip tweezers are a must, to squeeze the hot coil, even to install the tiny screws when needed. Many RBAā€™s require the coil legs [ends.tails,etc.] to be snipped very closely to avoid electrical shorts, so a good quality pair of diagonal cutters are a must. Youde UD has good ones. The new V2 Coil Master DIY kit has great diagonal cutters, good screwdrivers, ceramic tweezers, and the best coil wrapping jig I know of, the CM coil jig V3, which also allows you to wrap clockwise or counter-clockwise, which is important for some RBAā€™s. I just bought another kit for $33/free shipping. Good tools cheaper than purchasing separately. It comes with a crappy ohm meter.
You need a good ohm meter for safety reasons, and the best I know of is the Coil Master 521 TAB. It is a multi-tool that should be on every coil-building desk. It will make your building 100X more enjoyable versus not having one. It will read ohms accurately, fire your coils to test/tweak, double as a table mod, but just as important, it will give you a nice stable work deck to build on, and you donā€™t have to keep screwing the RBA back and forth on devices while building.

If you have Kanger tanks like the Subtank mini or the Topfill, you already have an RBA that came with each one. They are great for beginning [I still use them, even for DTL] and good MTL.
I would start with a two-post RBA instead of a three-postā€¦a velocity style , like the Aromamizer RDTA, BUTā€¦I just got the new Avocado 24 [finally available], and even though it is 24mm, I use it on my 75W KBOX mini that came with the TopFill. It hangs over a little, but not bad at all, but the best thing is, other than flavorā€¦and a 5ml capacityā€¦it is the easiest dual coil build I have ever done. I use a single coil in my Avocado 22ā€™s, but the Avocado 24 has more room. It was super easy and fast. [found it for $31]. You can build either Avocado single coil or dual coil.

The right tools and the right device(s)ā€¦will make a big difference when starting. Stress will surely be held at minimum.

Also, on the steam engine coil calculator, you can check the heat flux of each coil design. You can click the wattage +/- and see the temp. It is located just below where it shows you the # of wraps to perform.

Any questions, you know I will help.

3 Likes

Thanks Ozo I appreciate it. I have more researching to do but your words do not fall on deaf ears ! I understand what your saying and I know from in the past I went down this road and became frustrated and said oh fooey it isnā€™t for meā€¦& I may try this time and feel the same way Idk but hereā€™s hoping that I donā€™t. Of course back then I didnā€™t have all of yā€™all to call upon :smile:

1 Like

We are here now.
If you need help price-sourcing any tools, let me know.

1 Like

Iā€™m sitting on my hands until tomorrow I know there are deals today as well just looking. Remember I only vape MTL so not interested in any sub-ohm styles.

Okie dokie. So, I dug out the 28ga kanthal, gave it a wipe down with some alcohol, twisted up a single 10 wrap on a 2.5mm ID jig. I had a UD Goliath II sitting around doing nothing (it has the option of doing a single coil) and decided to mount the coil, fill it up with her favorite juice and present it to my wife as a Netflix binge watching atomizer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It was well received!

The coil came out to a 1.7ohm and she is vaping it right now at 12 watts (4.5 volts) on a Sigelei mini 30 watt VW mod; a pleasingly warm-ish vape. :grinning:

You can do this! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You have me smiling like a bashful girlā€¦Iā€™m still nervous. I donā€™t know what to buy. Kayfuns are probably just too difficult for me to start with. I am open for suggestions on easier to work on decks. I just need a 1.8 ish build for a MTL hit.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement I need them. I was feeling all brave yesterday and yet I could not pull the trigger and press pay couldnā€™t do itā€¦wasnā€™t sure about the tank and honestly I may just need someone to tell me what to buy seriously I feel like a fumbling idiot. Iā€™m out of my comfort zone I guess and itā€™s awkward !

@JoJo you sub-ohm donā€™t yaā€¦guess I am a lonely tootle puffer in a room of Sub-ohmers

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no need to rush into any of this. :wink: I was just letting you know your goal is achievable. Now to find the right atomizer.

Iā€™ve always been a dual coil, lung hit vaper, thus, most of my tanks have been strictly for that type of setup. Iā€™ll take a look around for tanks that have decks which are designed mostly for single coil setups, MTL type airflow options, easy to wick and maintain. :grinning: Searching out atomizers and reading reviews is fun for me.

2 Likes

Good because Iā€™m getting a headache and going cross eyed at the lingo SMH where the hell have I been there is way too many tanks to surf through w/o a common ground knowledge of them. I just look and see the word sub-ohm and move right on.

Yea not in a rush. The last time I did this it was all wrongā€¦tank & time and most likely equipment and knowledge ( well still kinda lacking in this department )

I am glad you and @Flavor_Alchemist have done some test build both are yā€™all are giving me hope and of course the rest of the gang has been here for me too big thanks everyone & sorry for hogginā€™ on this thread certainly wasnā€™t intended.

2 Likes

I am wondering if the Wotofo Serpent may work for you @Amy2 . It is a single coil setup with an adjustable airflow . I have read some posts where some people use it for a MTL.
I picked up a couple of them a while back when I was trying to find a more efficient tank for my SX Miniā€™s as a single coil helped with battery life.Now I have all but retired the Serpents and the SX miniā€™s.
If @Kinnikinnick thinks it may be workable for you and you would like one just let me know. It has a larger deck than most single tanks so it is a little easier to build on than say a Sub Tank Mini IMO.

3 Likes

Hey thatā€™s awesome of you ! I have no idea lol what is right or wrong. I am still reading up. If it seems it would work then by all means I like to recycle :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds good , I will run it through the USC and I will go ahead and put a build with some 316L SS 28 ga. .I will get you a build around your 1.8 sweet spot and go ahead and wick it with organic cotton or rayon , your choice.I found it much easier to make a coil if I had an old one to go by the first time or two.

I will make some extra coils so you can see how they are made.I also have enough packs of wicking material of rayon and Japanese cotton to get you by for a couple of months at least.I will also include a sampler pack of different wire sizes in kanthal , Nichrome 80 , and 316L SS , I have enough to last me and three others a lifetime.

The only problem is it will probably be the end of the week before I can get you a package together.

5 Likes

Youā€™re the man! :sunglasses:

@Amy2 is feeling the love in this thread! :kissing_heart::dash:

2 Likes

Wow thatā€™s way more Love than anyone could ask for ā€¦ So letā€™s say I wasnā€™t asking but would gladly receive this beautiful bounty !

Super awesome I appreciate it. I could at least have something to replicate. My first time I tried to twist wire it was a freakshow and not in a good way threw it away.

@Kinnikinnick I do feel the Love !
ELR# BestVapeFam !

4 Likes

You can/should start just using your Subtank mini and the RBAā€¦while you are researching other optionsā€¦and using the wonderful gift headed your way.
You are still going to need quality tools if you wish to avoid the frustration.

4 Likes

I agree , I hated building coils until I picked up the right tools for the job.These kits are not the best but they are the best for the money.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-master-DIY-V2-tool-kit-for-jig-rebuildable-atomizer-MOD-RDA-RBA-Atty-tank-/391466448143?hash=item5b2537f50f:g:WSMAAOSwa81XRpyS

3 Likes

I gave it away Ozo OOPS vaped it forward just about a month ago !

I agree I donā€™t like to use cheap crappy anything so I donā€™t mind getting good stuff even if itā€™s here & there when I get it. I am not rushing and not that impulsive on something that is this serious. I need a better ohm reader too just canā€™t think of what Iā€™d ever do with a multimeter if I got that style other than vape related of course. I need concise and no fuss.

3 Likes