COPD And Vaping a Good Report!

“The present study suggests that EC use may ameliorate objective and subjective COPD outcomes and that the benefits gained may persist long-term. EC use may reverse some of the harm resulting from tobacco smoking in COPD patients.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30197510

This was an article written in 2018 but someone shared it with me today after I finished an interview with their paper on the benefits of vaping for a person with COPD. I’ve said all along that vaping was my lung saver after my diagnosis and that my pulmonary function tests continue to improve every year. I’ve even been blessed enough to no longer need a pulmonologist because my lung function tests show the same results now as a non-smoker. It was nice to see that put out there

19 Likes

Reports like these that continue to come out, especially with most of the world now NOT sharing the US’ negative views on vaping, will eventually help turn the tide. I pray only that vaping is not a wholly owned subsidiary of Big Pharma by then…

10 Likes

I pray the same. I keep sending people to Public Health England for research information.

7 Likes

@authormichellehughes WOW !!!

Health effects in COPD smokers who switch to electronic cigarettes: a retrospective-prospective 3-year follow-up.

Results:

Complete data were available from 44 patients. Compared to baseline in the EC-user group, there was a marked decline in the use of conventional cigarettes. Although there was no change in lung function, significant improvements in COPD exacerbation rates, CAT scores, and 6MWD were observed consistently in the EC user group over the 3-year period ( p <0.01). Similar findings were noted in COPD EC users who also smoked conventional cigarettes (“dual users”).

Conclusion:

The present study suggests that EC use may ameliorate objective and subjective COPD outcomes and that the benefits gained may persist long-term. EC use may reverse some of the harm resulting from tobacco smoking in COPD patients.

12 Likes

I was really happy to see this one. I wish they’d do many more studies on this subject! I know I’m not the only one it has helped this way.

4 Likes