Cotton balls for testing

I wasn’t able to get cotton both spots were sold out. I’m getting desperate can I use these in the meantime? If not why?

6 Likes

I’m sure you could use them in a pinch, but they look pretty white. Bleached cotton should typically be avoided, as raw, unbleached is much healthier, and tastier. How long before you can get your regular cotton back ?

6 Likes

Temporarily it’s fine. But get the cotton you need ASAP.

5 Likes

A day just have to go to a different shop. Bf was on his way home from work n he already has a long enough day just didn’t want to make it longer on him

7 Likes

I believe I saw organic on the bag so that’s a lot better. I have a bag of organic cotton balls which also states no bleach used. I keep it for a back up. I also have a box of rayon that will last me forever and is way affordable. It takes getting used to working with. It’s a different texture than cotton but needs no breaking in period. The flavor is there immediately. I like it for testing flavors.

9 Likes

What’s rayon?, all I’m finding is baby clothes

3 Likes

Here you go. I’ve been using this for years. 40ft lasts a while.

7 Likes

Amazon is your best bet for organic cotton in my opinion. And as @natbone indicated, the Cellucotton is a great alternative and lasted me over a year. Leave the cotton balls for makeup and ear aches.

6 Likes

These might be fine…

7 Likes

This is what I use, It’s easy to use because it’s one long piece, just cut off what you need and perfect size for single mesh, for regular coils I just rip it down the middle

9 Likes

I didn’t know they offered cotton this way. I like this and it just went into my cart. Thanks.

6 Likes

Added to my list for the end o mth…im stuck on
The system until I get better

3 Likes

Looks pretty good Rocky.

4 Likes

Used this for years. Bought two boxes for the vape shop.
We not only re-wicked for customers with it, but gave out
pieces for them to take home. Took forever to use up the first box !!!
I still have 3/4 of the second box, replace the (tampons) on my daily
use devices as needed. Haven’t used cotton in a couple of years.
Seems it was about 15 bucks a box when I bought them. #44043

4 Likes

@ozo I know a long time ago, the Cellulose conversation came up, and we talked about it for a while, and I did briefly try it, but got lazy, and just went back to cotton.

Could you remind me (and anyone else reading this thread), the trick(s) to using it correctly. If I remember, cotton you typically make snug, but not packed in, and Cellulose is the exact opposite, you REALLY need to have it super tight in the coils ??

Getting old, and I forget shit LOL. I still have a full box of EXACTLY that same Cellulose.

3 Likes

This is what I use now too. Good stuff

3 Likes

Here’s my take on it. For RDAs I pack it in fairly tight but then give it a mushroom type cut. It always works great. For RTAs I use cotton with rayon in the center. I was getting too many dry hits with just cotton (this is with the Profile). Adding the rayon allows it to wick faster with the cotton holding more juice. The best of each, imo.

3 Likes

Honestly I don’t even try to make the tampons one way or another…as long as I get ‘enough’ in the coil.
I try to pull enough apart, so when I ‘roll’ or ‘form’ it, then stick the tapered end into the coil,
I have to pull on both ends to get it pulled through smoothly…if all that makes sense.

I only use (4) VV Pulse X/Pulse 90’s - 20700/21700 - topped with Asmodus Nefarius -
316L - 0.20/0.21 dual coils - fully wet the rayon after trimming, and stuff the tails in just below the deck.
If the rayon is a bit thin they just don’t last as long, but vape fine. Too thick, they just wick slower.

‘Peeling’ the rayon apart [I don’t cut the width] is always a guess anyway on what thickness I get,
practice/steady use helps…but none are ever the same, but close.

I vape the same three of my favorite recipes every day, in rotation, and keep one as a dripper
for old bottles of stuff I have made in the past…just for gits and shiggles.

I have enough cotton to make a couple of body pillows, but for simplicity I just keep about a 2 foot
rayon ‘rope’ in a drawer at my desk, cut a 2 inch piece off, and re-wick. Simple and fast.

5 Likes

Thank you @ozo, that helps me out a lot.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for a long time. The pack lasts me 1.5-2 years. And it is very clean & cheap.

3 Likes