Cotton/ Wick Longevity

Just to give it another fair chance, I tried rayon again just now. I do not understand how people can say there’s no break-in with rayon. It tastes disgusting to me :smiley:

What did I do wrong?

3 Likes

I have about a 4-5 hit break in with rayon (just about to try hemp) but with rayon make sure you put a ton in - i try to get a squeak as i thread it through the coil. The first few hits are just a little woody but after that it is good for about 60 ml of chocolate (my biggest coil gunker).

Oh and break in takes a lot longer if you didnt wash your hands first the rayon seems to hold the oil from your hands for a bit longer - ymmv

4 Likes

I’ve tried to put more in there before, it will mute the flavor completely and give me nothing but rayon flavor.

I have to admit that the rayon taste is already a little bit less but I’m 30-40 puffs into trying to breaking it in. If you listen to any rayon lover, they all claim there’s zero break-in and I’m not getting that experience at all. (oh yes, I always wash hands before wicking)

Not claiming 0 break in as that is not my experience - it is shorter than cotton (for me) and I have used a lot of different cottons - not sure why yours is different but I have never been able to taste it after a few hits - certainly not 30-40 but I guess it may vary with wattage / tank / mod.

2 Likes

Always happy to read up on your experience with it. Plenty people use Puffs (including DJLSB).

(22m20s)

1 Like

I dont have any break in with the puffs at all. All I taste is juice. Every other cotton that I have tried has a little bit of earthy flavor at first. I tried rayon and it was great but no better than the puffs. I still find the pads easiest to get a consistent wick every time. I cut a strip thats twice the width of my coil and split it into two layers. I loosely roll it into a tube with the outer skin on the inside of the roll. Pinch one end and twist then pull it through. It’s as simple as that and every wicking job is the same.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t consider myself a rayon lover, nor will I sing the praises of rayon but I will pass on my experience with it. I do use Muji cotton pads 90% of the time because I have started moving more towards RDAs and away from tanks. Using a pad in a Scottish roll allows me to do a 3 to 4 second squeeze down the drip tip and rayon won’t allow that with the thinning of the tails.

Rayon, in my experience is tasteless. It will bring out certain other unpleasant issues.

When installing a new coil and testing it for hot spots and making sure that it glows from the inside out, the coil itself gives off a distinct smell. After a new coil install and wicking with rayon, I get the flavor that is very similar to the smell of a new coil that has been pulsed. This taste goes away after about 2ml of vaped juice. If I am dry burning a used coil and wick it with rayon I get virtually no off taste at all. If I do it is gone in a few vapes.

I still do use rayon in some tanks because I haven’t found anything that can absorb juice faster than rayon and it allows for chain vaping to the extreme. I do stuff a ton of rayon in the coil. Have never noticed a muting of flavor though. But when I finish stufffing the coil I thin the tails. I start by cutting from the coil itself and outwards to the tails. I thin them so much that you would be almost certain that the RTA is going to leak profusely. I lay the tails or lightly tuck them over the wick holes. Rarely will I have any leaking issues.

I don’t use a lot of coil gunking flavors. Chocolate is rare and caramel is used some. If I use sweetener it is marshmallow or Stevia. So I normally get 80-100ml out of a wicking with rayon.

With cotton pads in an RDA or RTA I always notice a break in period. It is brief but I don’t find it horribly unpleasant.

Hemp is next on my list and hopefully it will be arriving any day now.

8 Likes

Rayon only takes me a couple of mls to break in. Once it does, its flavor is superior to hemp for two days…but its 2 days whether you use it or not if its wet with juice it ages IME.

Hemp improves slightly for a couple of days. It doesn’t age. I don’t know what the limit is, but I use some rdas infrequently that were wicked over a year ago.

@TheTinMan1, I ship on Sat. You will have it Monday.

5 Likes

It was shipped on Saturday, I got it on Wednesday across the pond. Speedy delivery!
Thanks!

Now lets start cleaning it and wicking it a bit later on.

1 Like

In my ego one mega v2. I find that I really need to stuff the coils with Rayon or flavor will be muted. For break in time it is muted but no unpleasant taste like with cotton. Further I find the Rayon stays cleaner longer then cotton but the limit for taste is with the coil not the wicking material. Flavor with Rayon is cleaner the with cotton

4 Likes

This subject is almost like asking which is the best strawberry flavor? No universally accepted answer.

I hope one day there is a wick to come along that is so mind-blowing that everyone who vapes agrees…it’s the absolute best! Until then…

6 Likes

:grinning:
I agree. This is true

isn’t that what mesh was supposed to be? Coil and wick in one?

Me and mesh didn’t get along.

You need to wick it tighter then thin the tails out.

2 Likes

Maybe I should give hemp another try… I have avoided rayon as it is a man made/ synthetic (polymer?) so the hemp felt more natural. The breaking in taste of hemp didn’t really bother me, I’ll take the slight ‘woody’ taste over that diaper taste that cotton gives the first few hours.

1 Like
3 Likes

Here’s another vote for Labo Puffs. I bought a bag shortly after getting into rebuilding a little over two years ago. I’ve still got about 1/3 of a bag left, and I rebuild 3-4 RTA’s a week(Gotta keep the tongue happy with different flavors, you know!) It’s easily one of the best vape-related purchases I’ve made, and best of all, it was cheap!

3 Likes

ive been reading this thread and havent commented , i use cotton bacon v2 and love it before using it i tried all kinds of pads and rayon and never got a good vape from a rda so for a long time i said screw rdas etc , then i used cotton bacon v2 and it was easy to use , clean , but most importantly i was able to enjoy vaping on a rda , but i couldnt agree more with you statement wicking material is as subjective as flavors , i dont think all cotton is the same quality but thats just my opinion , what works for me may not work for others but ill stick to cotton bacon v2 unless they discontinue it lol

4 Likes

While it is heavily processed rayon is made from wood pulp usually bamboo.

6 Likes