Cotton/ Wick Longevity

I have been using Cotton Bacon V2 for the past 6 months and have noticed that when it needs to be changed, it NEEDS it. The flavor drops off almost instantly and that is how I know when it is time. The cotton bacon lasts for about a week or so before this starts to happen.

I have used Kami Japanese cotton and Hemp as well to wick my RDA and RTA, and I feel like they used to last a bit longer. I switched to cotton bacon, as I heard that it wicks quicker and breaks in faster.

I am looking to switch cotton, soon here and was wondering what everyone is using and how long it lasts? Nobody likes rewicking, but I do believe that there are some types of cotton that last longer than others. Yes, type of juice does have an effect on how long your cotton lasts, but I feel that there has to be something that goes for a bit longer than the cotton bacon.

3 Likes

IMG_1475
I have used ever conceivable type of Organic Cotton available. I may be the lone man out here. But I can not tell any difference between them, other than price. I have never tried hemp wicking, In my opinion, the Organic Cotton Makeup pads “Puff” is a great inexpensive choice. I get the same break in period and longevity from this product. I don’t know it seems like we are always chasing after a better alternative to the same product repackaged.

16 Likes
9 Likes

This says it all. Despite what anyone hypes, cotton is in fact cotton, no matter what name you put on the package.

@Pentine higher price cotton is cotton with better marketing. That is simply my opinion and those that have preferences will hype up that kendo gold, or cotton bacon version 2. But they are both cotton.

7 Likes

I never get a week out of my cotton anyway because I will have to dry burn my coils way before that.

5 Likes

I use the Pima cotton form eciggity. I typically need to clean the coil before the cotton. Unless I am using a coil killer juice then both need to be done

2 Likes

I have no idea. I use TC and a lot of atties which I am always rotating. I use ten buck per bag cotton pads and I am used to them and satisfied with them. Never bothered to use any other. I can’t remember when I last changed cotton due to lack of flavor. I usually rebuild because I want to try a different coil or different resistance etc. Sometimes because the coil is gathering “chunks”. I’ve got a couple of “complementary” bags of cotton bacon but I never opened them.

2 Likes

After 3-4 days the coil in my mtl setup starts to taste bad and the cotton looks fine. Now the simple 28g/5 wrap kanthal coil and cotton used in my setup costs next to nothing so they both get replaced. My wife can go over a week to 2 weeks with the same setup guess don’t know how she does it

3 Likes

Cotton is cotton, but I know that sometimes people say hemp or rayon work differently. I was mostly looking to see if those or another type of material tend to last longer for people.

3 Likes

4-5 days here before a rebuild for 2 reasons:

• my coils turn black and just the thought of heating up that gunk and inhaling it is more annoying than rebuilding. Even if it’s just black and doesn’t have a crust on it, it has to go. Every odd weekend I spend some time building and pre-wrapping fused claptons so rebuilding is really fast and it’s cheap too.
  • I throw any juice at my wicks: lemon, berries, sweetness, ws-23 ice creams, … and since cotton mainly absorbs instead of wicking, little bits remain and over time the flavor is a potpourri of everything I have. Fresh wick is always rewarding.

Unless the wick is made from something other than cotton, meaning it wicks instead of absorbing fluids, I don’t think any of this is going to change no matter what brand of cotton I use. I do find there’s a noticeable difference in flavor between some types or brands.

3 Likes

I have also tried them all and every time I go back to my bag of Puffs that I bought 2 years ago for $8 shipped. None of the other wicking materials perform any better that Puffs for me. Some are as good but cost way too much and some are inferior. The best thing about the pads is that I can get a consistent amount of wick every time with very little hassle.

7 Likes

I’ve recently switched to rayon, and it does last longer between wicks. I’m currently using the same wick for 1 week & it still looks like the day I wicked it.
I’ve heard of people using the same wick for several weeks using rayon. I haven’t gone that long, but that is only because i have so much rayon, that i rewick when I’m bored, not cause it really needs it.

7 Likes

100% agree :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve been using CelluCotton for a few months now and have enough to last a very long time, I have noticed that if I inadvertently dry it out while vaping I will pull the top of the RDA and notice a brilliant white wick, says to me that its wicking more than absorbing. I have not noticed any flavor problems, and organic cotton would give off a weird initial taste from time to time.

5 Likes

Sorry Mark hit the wrong reply button

1 Like

Hemp lasts longer than your coils. I get 2 months minimum on LiPo PWM at 150W+. PM me your address and Paypal me $5 to offset shipping and I’ll send you some saturday. …if you abide by the hemp thread Tinman posted up top.

5 Likes

Hemp and rayon both work differently than cotton. Definitely try rayon. It has awesome flavor to start and I find performance fades linearly over up to two-ish weeks on 40%PG juice.

Hemp is like a coarser, stiffer, natural rayon. It has a break in flavor that you can eliminate if you choose. Hemp behaves similar to silica, except you cant dry burn it. To me, hemp has an even flavor for the life of your coils that is equivalent to 3 day old rayon.

With hemp, you cleanly swap flavors. Nothing lingers. We’ll see how you find it shortly tho @anon28032772

4 Likes

Does this mean rayon takes you 3 days to break in or that rayon is slightly better in its first 2 days?

Definitely looking forward to it and I’ll post my findings in your hemp thread.
I’ll give it an honest try but I’m loyal to my Koh Gen Do because it performs so well and is so easy to wick. It’ll have to be really good to make me swap :slight_smile:

Looking at this video and all you people’s propaganda, it looks promising though

If you watch, do yourself a favor and stay tuned until the end

1 Like

Rayon here too. Fantastic taste when newly wicked. With 492 ft left, takes about a minute and a half to change in my RDA’s. I could good a week or two depending on the mix, but I’m just happy as a clam with new wicks every two to three days.

2 Likes

You sold me Mark,I just ordered a box from Amazon
Thanks !
Steve

2 Likes