Curious about adding alcohol

I was reading somewhere that some people add alcohol to their recipes. Does this make it smoother?or is that just to make the ingredients stretch longer? Would it be a good idea to make a rum flavored recipe with real rum?

3 Likes

@Yahisel I would strongly advise against that. It would make it harsher, not smoother. Many issues with harsh alcohol based flavors unless all of the alcohol was off gassed. If you want to thin your mixes, there are other ways.

4 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t really truly concerned about thinning down my mixes. But I was curious about if there was flavor advantages. I’m on only day four or five of mixing my own here. And I’ve got so much made now that’s probably going to last me a couple of weeks. But curiosity really makes me want to ask those kind of questions. Thanks for your reply.

3 Likes

Playing off of what @SessionDrummer said, avoid adding alcohol.

Most wait for their recipes to develop and during that process, they are waiting for additives, harsh chemicals, and the like to distill or evaporate from the mix for a better blend.

Adding anything to a recipe will not stretch any flavor, rather let the flavor dilute as you wait for the extras to work themselves out.

3 Likes

The waiting part is hard for an impatient person like myself who likes to dabble.

4 Likes