Determining the Proper Bottles for Your DIY Creations

What LV said. :slightly_smiling: The cracking of tanks is more along the lines of acrylic. Safest option would be to store those flavors in glass. I like the way that vapecrafter explains it.

1 Like

I am seriously thinking of using all of the 1oz bottles I get from Wizard Labs to store all of my flavoring in and just buying a dozen glass droppers for dispensing. I did that the other day with a few flavors I havenā€™t put in the dripper bottles yet and I actually kinda liked mixing that way. It seemed more precise since I was controlling the drop a little easier. I am going to look for some really nice droppers. Anybody know of any? I am referring to the kind like my grandmother kept in her medicine cabinet that donā€™t have a screw cap on them.

3 Likes

When I first started mixing, I ordered a bunch of flavors direct from TPA/TFA. They all came in 15ml glass bottles. I just ordered 50 dropper tops for some of them. I will use these for doing my test mixes in from now on. I still prefer to use 20ml PET needle droppers for dispensing my flavors. I have yet to experience any cracking from any flavor. I do have several ā€œtank crackersā€. PET is much more resistant to this than poly carbonate or acrylic.

1 Like

I know most of us mix by mass these days, but I dream of being able to mix up batches using something like and eppendorf micro pipetter and related disposables. You can measure volumes very precisely and change to new sterile tips in a really smooth motion.

Those that have seen these in use by experienced lab techs know that you can mix up a really precise multi-component solution stupid fast using the method. Cheaper solutions are finally becoming available with good quality. If I mixed as much as some on here Iā€™d surely go that way with all liquids stored in simple polycone lidded glass. Iā€™ll be there someday, but a $15 scale allows more vudget.

1 Like

I :heart: micropipettors. You can do a 1000mlā€¦a whole 1ml at a time! LoL. I hate the scroll pipet pumps, but the electric ones werenā€™t too bad. Iā€™m guessing theyā€™re expensive though.

Glassbottleoutlet.com decided to redo their website before building a good site. John Doe must have been in the middle of working on it and they said ā€œHell with itā€¦ Upload it!ā€. Anyone needing to order bottles from them prepare to be extremely frustrated.

I know this is an old subject but I was wondering about bottle size and steeping? A long time ago, a rep from Mt Baker told me to break down my 240ml bottle into smaller ones so it will steep faster. Is there any truth to this?

Bottle collection: Either Iā€™m a hoarder or a psychic and knew that one day I would diy. Either way, I still have all the commercial juice bottles from my pastā€¦from 5ml amber glass to 4oz glass Boston Rounds and everything in betweenā€¦100s.
If you like to nose around thrift shops and yard sales you can also find some pretty interesting bottles. I use to sell antique/vintage bottles on ebay.

3 Likes

The best way to answer this is to test it. I havenā€™t done this test, but if you make a 240ml batch and a 30ml batch of the same recipe, and be very precise with your mixing, you should find the answer in 30 days. Just let them sit together and donā€™t disturb them. Test on day 15 and day 30.

That said, the consensus, as far as Iā€™ve read, seems to say that the larger the batch, the longer the steep. If you test this out, Iā€™d like to know your results!

2 Likes

My theory is not thieve any of the mix, like tasting before proper steep, thinking u may be getting all the flavor, all the nic or all the base in that amount. If u mix a large batch and then break it smaller, u may have more of the flavoring, nic or base in one bottle then the others so i would say no. Mix each bottle separatelyā€¦my thoughts.

4 Likes

Iā€™d think shaking it ridiculously well would solve that problem. Could be wrong though, not having tried it. Like micro-bubbles opaque kind of shaking.

4 Likes

am sticking w/ my theory
lol

4 Likes

I do that from time to time. Mix a big bottle and then split off amounts i need. I especially do that when I need one with sweetener ,one without or/and different mix strength or/and one with freebase other with salt.

But Iā€™ve done it in the past as well with commercial juices i bought and some of them needed a long steep, because some stores mix fresh when ordered.

Never had a separation or different results in these bottles. Just make sure you shake them very well before splitting.

If you donā€™t fill them all the way to the top, and leave plenty of room, smaller bottles will steep quicker. But itā€™s not by much tho, if that was your idea lol.

But cutting off a week or two is definitely not bad, Iā€™d would say.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I do. I donā€™t have high tech mixing equipment (yet) but I shake for a full minute for 120ml + or until I get lactic acid build up in my arms :rofl:

3 Likes

Me too :grin: I usually prepare 120mls for my finished product but wondered if I should transfer into 30ml bottles?

3 Likes

I stand behind my thinking but after proper steeping for the mix, I steal 30 mls at a time and fill my silly lil dripping bottle, that make sense?

3 Likes

Surely betchaā€™ā€¦how big of a bottle are you talking?

1 Like

30ml PET vs. LDPE. 3mg 70v/30p identical mixes, steeping shelf in dark room for your comparison after 1 year.

3 Likes

Almost looks like the plastic from ldpe got corroded into the mix

3 Likes

No etching or leaching, just the softer LDPE allows air to penetrate in. Especially over time.

2 Likes

Anyone ever used the ā€œGlass packer bottlesā€?
Berlin packing has them and phenolic polycone caps are available. I am kinda thinkin that the super wide mouths might be beneficial should my hands ever become unsteady.

2 Likes