Diabetics Vaping ( is it ok )

im pretty sure it is as well, my understanding is that smoking can raise your blood sugar so my thiuggt was that vaping might do the same thing except possibly with the sugars and stuff might raise blood sugar as well im just wondering bc this is why he wants to quit smoking and why replace one for the other if they both can be risks for diabetics , for me its an obvious choice but this is the question of anotjer person which i did not have the answer for now i xan at least give him some examples and reassurances

3 Likes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ecigs-vaping-and-diabetes.html

2 Likes

i swear i searched everywhere and didnt find crap ty ty ty

1 Like

I found the same article but didnā€™t find anything scientific relating to vaping and diabetes. Maybe I just didnā€™t read enough or click enough. Still havenā€™t :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some vendors say their flavors are safe for diabetics albeit the route intended is ingestion not inhalation as we know.

Iā€™ll always err on the side of caution tell you family friend to make sure they do a finger stick in between their meals to see if itā€™s had a reaction to their system. I personally donā€™t feel it should but then again everyone is so different. Is the family member type 1 or type 2 DM ?

Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults, and was previously known as juvenile diabetes. ā€¦ In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

If you have type 2 diabetes your body does not use insulin properly. This is called insulin resistance. At first, your pancreas makes extra insulin to make up for it. But, over time it isnā€™t able to keep up and canā€™t make enough insulin to keep your blood glucose at normal levels.

5 Likes

just a small paragraph but based on the other forum members like @louiesquared testing and being diabetic i have enough to go on but i appreciate all that have responded

3 Likes

ill have to ask what type to be honest and i may sound stupid but i had no clue there was multiple types

2 Likes

Donā€™t be itā€™s a complicated disorder anyhow thereā€™s actually 2 other types but they are more of a complication than another type.

The only reason I asked is bc type 1 tend to be more " brittle " have fluctations in their BG reading and if they are type 1 they tend to know where there levels are since theyā€™ve been dealing w/ it all their life or most of it. Type 2 can vary as well but is different and diet and excercise greatly impact it.

4 Likes

I was in hospital with a type1 last week. He was going to lose a foot!!! Shit stuff.

I remember reading somewhere that inhalation doesnā€™t transfer carbs and the such. I just canā€™t find it. But my link should convince your friend. Its from a diabetes organisation.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Type 2 diabetic and havenā€™t found any appreciable increase/decrease in blood sugars due to vaping over the last 15 months. No appreciable spikes between meals and no elevation in my quarterly A1C tests either.

The sweetener used in eJuice is Saccharin so that shouldnā€™t cause any significant issues for the average vaper be they diabetic or not.

There may be some sugar alcohols in the vegetable glycerine but youā€™re not actually drinking it, so it shouldnā€™t be much of a concern either. Iā€™d say try vaping for a while and test your blood sugars regularly.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/sugar-alcohols.html

4 Likes

Artificial sweeteners (like sucralose) can have an impact on insulin and blood glucose spikes. That would be the biggest concern in my mind. Hereā€™s a small study that showed an increase in blood glucose levels and insulin levels after consuming sucralose and glucose vs after water and glucose.

Now that study is based on consumption rather than vaping, but just tasting something sweet on your tongue can trigger your digestive system to start producing insulin to get ready for what it thinks is sugar thatā€™s about to enter your body. So I would be careful to avoid extra sweeteners and would probably check their levels frequently when they start to see if they notice a difference.

4 Likes

If a diabetic vaped high vg with no sweeteners(not needed anyway) he or she should not see anything different in the blood sugar levels

3 Likes

I have been vaping for over two years and have been diabetic for over 10 years I have not noticed any negative effects since starting to vape. So as has been said have your friend try vaping but monitor closely for a while. I donā€™t thing he will have any issues but 1 personā€™s data does not a study make.

6 Likes

Diet controlled type 2 diabetic here. Been vaping for close to 4 years and my diabetes is now pretty much gone. I am also now extremely low carb/keto so any spikes would be more obvious. With all the monitoring I have done I have not had any rises after vaping. I read higher in the morning when I first get up (before any vape) than I do for the rest of the day, except after food/drink obviously, but vape doesnā€™t seem to make any detectable difference.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Ferdekalen
I see a lot of ā€˜canā€™ and ā€˜mayā€™ in those articles. The CDC is an organisation that has lost all credibility in my eyes.

I also saw an article talking about nicotine can raise or lower your blood sugar. Iā€™m pretty sure there are many factors that influence levels of blood sugar and a lot of other things.
The heart fluctuates quite a lot too. When the heart stops fluctuating it is called a flatline.
It is not much of a liveā€¦

I donā€™t care very much for studies.
Iā€™ve heard a lot of horror stories throughout the years. Thereā€™s only one way to find out and thatā€™s by experience.
The post above yours is one of those experiences.

4 Likes

Interesting, my diabetes has stabilised since I stopped smoking and started vapingā€¦ My doctor doesnā€™t see any correlation between using nicotine in my vape and my blood sugar levels.

8 Likes

Pretty sure that one is a spammer like Hayden_Iles was, just waiting for the next post to drop with a link to a pill mill or a blog on writing skills or some such nonsense.

4 Likes

Nah, they come back and edit in the spam link, LIKE HE HAS DONE.

3 Likes

Indeed, i noticed that 20 or 30 account deletions ago, lol. Since ive been back ive deleted around 30 or so accounts. One fella had 4 accounts tied to one IP all of them spamming except his main account and even that one had no recipe/flavors/comments/ratings on the recipe side.

If yā€™all see some shit like that just shoot me a PM, i dont believe @fidalgo_vapes can see account IPs so it would be more difficult for him to research the account prior to deletion. I run the IPā€™s on an anti forum spam site and 75% of the time i get a hit or three.

3 Likes

Ya i can see account Ipsā€¦Thats how i called Joel out when he thought he was being sneaky smfh lolā€¦Please send all info to my partner in crime for all that stuff @big_vape lol

4 Likes