Diacetyl, acetoin, acetyl propionyl free crust flavoring

my latest “pie” flavor involved tpa dx graham cracker. while it tastes good, there is a hint of cinnamon in there i really do not care for and seems to throw the entire flavor profile off.

for instance, i made a chocolate peanut butter pie experiment. used all tpa- double chocolate, dx peanut butter, dx sweet cream and a dab of dx graham cracker. tasted ok but had the slightly cinnamon exhale which was sort of gross. question is: what is a good replacement for tpa dx graham cracker? im sort of leaning towards a biscuit flavor yet not sure if that would do the trick. any ideas?

1 Like

Graham cracker clear is good, how long did you let your mix steep for?

2 Likes

Or have a look at Inawera Biscuit or FA Biscotto maybe?

1 Like

TPA Kettle Corn makes a great crust at low percentages around 1% to 2% and it’s free of diketones.

3 Likes

thank you all for the ideas! in this 30ml experiment, i used:
tpa double chocolate clear=10%
tpa dx peanut butter= 5%
tpa dx graham cracker=1.67%
tpa dx sweet cream= 1.67%
poured this into bottle, added VG to bottle shoulder and shook like hell.
zero nicotine when steeping and always add last. mixture has steeped for nearly 4 weeks along with daily shaking.

i have wanted to try some inawera biscuit but always forget about it when ordering. i had never ever thought of using tpa kettle corn. neat. does biscuit taste like doughy bland biscuit or something else? curious. and the biscotto? does it have a hint of cherry in it or crusty roasted almond? or neither?
i have a very tasty banana cream pie, which uses quite a bit more of the dx graham cracker but because the other ingredients are more potent than the chocolate peanut butter pie, i suppose they take over the “cinnamon” flavor of dx graham cracker.

tpa double chocolate clear to me is a subtle chocolate flavor, which may allow the cinnamon in the graham to leak through.

i will write these flavors down to order next. thank you so much for the help. best forum ever

1 Like

Look them up in the flavour list over on the recipes page to get a feel of what they are like (notes section) - inw biscuit tastes just like a biscuit with a little bit of butter to it IMO…but taste is subjective so it might not to you! :+1:

1 Like

thanks Lolly. just looked at the “notes” section. biscuit is on my order list

1 Like

how did you come up with trying kettle corn as a crust?

3 Likes

Lots and lots of testing.

4 Likes

Biscuit is very good.

1 Like

inawera biscuit and tpa kettle corn is on order. vaping the experiment right now. very smooth. not so much peanut butter. thought it would stand out a bit more than it is. i think if i changed the “crust”, lowered the % on that and left everything else alone, the mix would be better. however, as it is now, the cinnamon exhale is just too much thus drowning the other flavors. in a real pie for instance, the graham crust complements the filling. however, in the next experiment, the pie will not be made with graham because of the subtle other flavors. then again, i dont believe i have ever made a chocolate pie with graham crust. its always the rolled greased flour version

2 Likes

Same here! :blush:

2 Likes