Difference Between Base Notes and Top Notes

Hey everyone I wanted to get some information on base notes and top notes when flavor mixing, I’m still new to mixing. My question is, how do you achieve a base and how to achieve a top note? Is a top note just a simple flavor like Pineapple or strawberry, or is a based on a percentage? In example, would Pineapple be a top note if it’s percentage was only 1% in the mix while Pina Colada is 7% or would Pineapple need to be a higher percentage in the mix to really be shown as the top note in the mix?

Thanks!

Adam

2 Likes

I’m bad at wording my questions. I just want to know if a top note is based on specific flavors or if it’s based on which flavors have the higher percentages in the mixtures.

1 Like

More often than not your "base note " is going to be a flavor with higher %s. But that’s not always the case especially if you’re using a very strong flavor as your foundation that only needs a small %. When I think of a “top note” i think of a light layer that you taste more on the inhale. So for instance, let’s say you have a lemon cookie recipe. On the inhale you might taste the lemon right away (top note) and then as you exhale the crumbly graininess comes through more (base note). You might also have other flavors/additives that contribute to the base like cream, butter, AP, etc., and those will often have lower %s like the top note(s).

10 Likes

When I read the question I was thinking exactly as @VapeyMama was stating it… percentages do not really matter due to different perceptions the person vaping picks up on the flavors. I personally think of bases in the mindset of creams and custards and how the other things (flavorings) play with those creams and custards. But as you were pointing out in your original comment @Vape_Juice_Recipes it could be a Pina Colada type of a base which is carrying the other flavors along for the ride.

3 Likes

Thank you both for the information! It’s very helpful. So let me ask you guys this, in your opinion do you see anything wrong that stands out with this recipe for a Pina Colada mix;

5% Pina Colada (TFA)
3% Pineapple (TFA)
1% Coconut (TFA)
1% Sweet Cream (TFA)
1% Sweetener (TFA)

I’d have to let @VapeyMama or another person answer that… I don’t have Pina Colada nor Pineapple… and I can’t use TFA Coconut (a personal thing for me, it (for me) takes over the flavor of everything I have added it to so I can’t vape that brand of coconut) sorry.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to over come right now. The Coconut is just taking over the recipe and I barely used it but I felt like I needed to use a little.

1 Like

I have used the following in loo of Coconut TFA…

Coconut (SC) Real Flavors

Coconut Candy TPA —but I still need to only use a littel

3 Likes

Unfortunately I have exactly zero of those flavors. :confused: At first glance it looks like a good starting point, but again I can’t say for sure so take that with a big grain of salt.

2 Likes

Coconut is strong… I use 1 drop of Coconut Extra and 0.25-0.5% of normal coconut

Capella Coconut I used at 1% but I found it had a plastic note.

3 Likes

Perfect! I’m going to give the Coconut candy a try. I can’t get over their prices!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been on a TFA kick for a while now, I can’t get over their prices! I still really like Capella and the others too. Thanks for the info it’s really appreciated

3 Likes

I’m with @Grubby and @CallMeTut on coconut as well. 1% has been too high for any mix I’ve made (not that I LOVE coconut anyway…)! I’d probably start around .2%.

But I’m by no means an expert.

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot right now and kick it down to .5% and see what it comes out like. Thanks!

1 Like

Exactly I love Coconut anyway lol just not when I want a certain (other) taste! Thanks for the info

2 Likes

I haven’t used those flavors, but I can assume that Pina Colada flavoring already has Pineapple, Coconut and Cream in it, so you may be doubling everything. Have you tried it as a single flavor yet? You might find it doesnt need much added to it. Or, you can get a better idea of what it is lacking and build from that. I’d let it steep a couple of weeks before tweaking it.

7 Likes

Excellent point, some flavorings are made to mimic specif concoctions… such as a “Pina Colada” or Sangria wine… making a single flavor tester (if you haven’t already" should have been the first thing done when trying to expound on a profile that was already established by a specific flavoring.

7 Likes