Difference between Marzipan and AP

I have AP but have seen several recipes requiring Marzipan. I really thought the two were the same. So is the actual texture, taste really different? Color?

5 Likes

Um …Why would you think they are the Same ??? look up Marzipan in the notes section then look up AP …Acetyl Pyrazine is an additive it helps add a nuttiness , bread type note…AP os also use in many flavor concentrates . Marzipan is closer to almond than AP

Just by smelling the 2 flavors you would be able to tell how different they are

10 Likes

Marzipan is a sweet almond flour AP is sweet but muting.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought they were both to add nuttiness to mixes.

4 Likes

AP tastes like Fritos…it can get nasty if overdone.

2 Likes

Marzipan is more like sweet almond for me, while AP at lower percentages (below 0.7% for me) would give nut taste. However, higher than that, AP would give fritos taste (for me)

2 Likes

Not for me…If used low in a mix 0.2 it shouldnt come off that way unless people are adding it to a Concentrate that already has it included as ine of the compounds…It definetely can get Corn Chip like used too high …

4 Likes

I get ZERO sweetness from AP …It shouldnt have any muting affect uless used too high and with another concentrate that already has it in as a compound to develope that particular concentrate…

3 Likes

Remember these are all Personal and subjective thoughts . It all depends on what it is used for and how high it is used…In this case though I would bet there arent too many mixers that will use these items like ine another …

3 Likes

I’m off to read notes about both. I’m now more confused than I was before. I think it is due to the fact that both have some type of nut base to them. I have a bottle of AP so I can at least smell slightly what it might be like in a mix. I think I’ve added just a few drops to one mix but it was so small, it only changed the color and didn’t offer anything else.

I thought it would give more bold, nutty flavor to custards but now through my reading, I’ve seen a lot of recipes call for Marzipan. Ugh, confusing.

3 Likes

I find Marzipan to be a bit cloying after a while. The point though is you have to try them. The flavor notes are a guide but only our taste buds reveal the truth.

5 Likes

Marzipan
a sweet, yellowish paste of ground almonds, sugar, and egg whites, often colored and used to make small cakes or confections or as an icing for larger cakes.

8 Likes